5.0 out of 5 stars Jeff Kinney Strikes Again! PYP Funny!
In his latest book, DIARY OF A WIMPY KID: RODRICK RULES, Jeff Kinney nearly put me into the hospital. That man is going to have serious medical bills to pay if this keeps up. I almost busted a gut laughing out loud and almost aspirated my Diet Dr Pepper on a few occasions. And, yes, I hold him completely responsible.

If not for Kinney's dry wit, keen insight...
Published on January 17, 2008 by Mel Odom

1.0 out of 5 stars Diary of a Wimpy Weasel
I don't understand all the fuss about these books. Greg, the main character, tortures his best friend. He's lazy. He lies. He deliberately manipulates his family.

And worst of all, he's a bully.

Published on January 21, 2011 by Steven

5.0 out of 5 stars Jeff Kinney Strikes Again! PYP Funny!, January 17, 2008
This review is from: Rodrick Rules (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Book 2) (Hardcover)

If not for Kinney's dry wit, keen insight into the lives of elementary school boys (especially their rationalization for EVERYTHING), and fantastic line drawing on nearly every page, I wouldn't have had so many close brushes with death in his latest book. But he put me there time and time again. Even when I thought I had things figured out (because I was once an elementary school boy with a wild imagination without a governor), Jeff would throw a wrinkle at me that I didn't see coming. He ambushed me with regularity throughout the pages.

But it's not just me that Jeff has his merciless sights on. He's taking out EVERYBODY. My wife teaches elementary school and Jeff's books are all the rage among the students. I have to admit to adding to that bonfire because I talk about his books all the time (and I have to admit that I haven't quite become the responsible adult either, because I'll rile my wife's fourth grade class up and take my leave--taking her out to dinner usually gets me off the hook and my cool points go up with the kids).

Parents have become interested in the books and I've told them they need to keep up with what their kids are reading. After all, they're supposed to be responsible parents. (I, myself, have been known to buy extra copies of Jeff's books and give out as gifts - some parents have accused me of inciting subversion, but I point out that Jeff's first book was a NEW YORK TIMES bestseller and that is a far better recommendation than I could ever make. Except the TIMES doesn't give away Jeff's books as gifts that I know of. That's why they hold me more accountable.)

But when I recommend the books to parents, I issue a stern warning. I call it the PYP warning. I especially give it to pregnant mothers and people with weak bladders who read in public places. PYP is Pee Your Pants. The books are just that funny. You're reading along, and the next thing you know, WHAM! -- you're laughing so hard you're peeing your pants.

The funniest thing about Jeff's humor, and the life of his main character, Greg Heffley, is that everything in the book COULD BE COMPLETELY TRUE. Speaking from experience, a lot of what's between those pages has been true. But I'm not going to incriminate myself now when I got away with those things all those years ago. And there should be some kind of time statute on most of them. I still don't want my mom to know, however.

Greg is THE man when it comes to taking a boring day and turning it upside down. People who underestimate the creativity of a bored child are simply asking for trouble. Nuclear war pales by comparison.

And Greg has an excuse - or a rationalization - for everything he does. Worse than that, half the time I get sucked in and totally buy into his point of view. Because, upon occasion, that point of view has been mine as well (or at least my defense). That's where Jeff's magic truly lies: he's never lost touch with his inner child. And boy, his wife must be mad and his kids must be terrified!

In this second book, I was totally blown away yet again. Greg is a middle kid, which means that his life is made miserable from both ends of the spectrum - from his older brother Rodrick and his younger brother Manny. Rodrick is the sulky teen with a band called Loded Diper. And their music stinks, so they're appropriately named. Manny is three and gets into all of Greg's stuff.

I love how Jeff sets something up in the books and continues to play off of it at appropriate times. His sense of pacing is fantastic. The work of "art" Manny creates out of toothpicks and aluminum foil is great, and I've seen that done, actually. Greg's mom tells Greg he should keep it around and he does - until it impales Greg's semi-best friend Rowley.

Another sequence in the book focuses on Greg's ringleader abilities. Kids will follow anyone with a semi-great idea. Or at least one that will bring pain or embarrassment to another kid. See, Greg is NOT hero material. At least, not yet. He does show some potential, but it's really far into the future.

One of those ideas involved making believe one of the other kids didn't exist. Following Greg's lead, the rest of the class pretends the kid doesn't exist so much that Greg gets called into the principal's office, then gets read the riot act by his parents.

I loved when Greg gets involved in the role-playing game Magic and Monsters and his mom becomes concerned. She decides to show up and play with them. And her rules don't involve all the violence and bloodshed all the kids are used to enjoying. Worst of all, some of Greg's friends start liking the way his mom plays!

Another instance is when the parents leave for a weekend trip and put Rodrick in charge. They're no sooner gone than Rodrick is on the phone calling people over for a party. Madness ensues. A door gets painted with permanent marker. Rodrick gets Greg to help him change out doors so the parents don't find out. Later, when they're punished, Rodrick says he's going to study the effects of decompression of the spine suffered by astronauts during prolonged weightlessness. He does this by sacking out on the couch and sleeping all the time while he's grounded.

If you want, you can even read the books for free on the internet. Just go to Funbrain-dot-com to read them. One of the most interesting things about Jeff's books is that they're given away for free and STILL sold enough to make it to the top of the NEW YORKS TIMES BESTSELLER bestseller list.

You see, Jeff wants everyone to read his books that wants to. However, kids want books they can hold in their hands, share with friends, and put on a shelf. Plus, it's kind of hard to take your computer and internet along when you're stuck in the car on a family trip or out with a parent at a doctor's appointment or a shopping spree.

One of the best features about Jeff's books after you put them in your kids' hands is that you don't have to worry about batteries going dead. They're kid powered: fueled by imagination and driven by humor. They're good for the environment. Except for that whole PYP warning.

Jeff's books are hilarious. I just can't recommend them enough. Call me subversive if you want.

5.0 out of 5 stars Is that GREAT or what?, August 24, 2008
This review is from: Rodrick Rules (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Book 2) (Hardcover)
I think Jeff Kinney hit the BullsEye with the Diary of a Wimpy Kid. I first read some of it at the internet. However it did not take me long to figure out that I had to have a hard copy of this book. Once I got it, I read it from start to finish and was unable to put it down until the end. It is THAT hilarious! The writing by itself is good and the cartoons make all that even better! And I am not the only one to love it. Since the time I got it, my book is being borrowed again and again by all my friends. In fact, I haven't seen it myself for long. It is just being passed from one friend to another. And we are all waiting for the next book in the Wimpy Kid series. I don't have an older brother. But although Greg seems to be complaining a lot about his brother Roderick, I wish I could get all this kind of troubles that Greg gets with Roderick. Life would be that much more interesting!!!!

Another series that we all cannot get enough of is Why Some Cats are Rascals ( Book 3). We are all looking forward to book 4 in the series, It is actually a diary of a naughty cat, believe or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book series for elementary level readers!, April 24, 2008
This review is from: Rodrick Rules (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Book 2) (Hardcover)
Do you have a reluctant reader? I can't recommend this book series enough for typical elementary age boys! I've never seen my 10 year old with his nose actually in a book, but this series did it. Jeff Kinney is a genius, and I'm grateful for his writing efforts. We can't wait for book 3, book 4, and so on! This is the first book series that my 4th grader actually read on his own. In his words, "I think these are funny, hilarious, and filled with great characters." Take a chance on these and chances are, you won't be sorry!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sequel to the Wimpy Kid, January 12, 2008
This review is from: Rodrick Rules (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Book 2) (Hardcover)
First of all, you HAVE to read the first book of this series of Diary of the Wimpy Kid before you even read a word of this book or else you'll never understand this book. Anyway, this book is all about Greg's new year back at school, but it includes Rodrick more often in the story. The first picture is.;. you said it. Rodrick punching Greg saying "Sissy!" like in the first book and the web version. There's a lot of sections in this book which includes:
1. Greg's Summer Vacation 2. Rowley's trip to South America 3. The dad typing Rodrick's report for him
4. Invisible Chirag 5. Career day 6. Greg's glass eye, and 7. Rodrick Bullying Greg. This is a pretty good book, but you got to remember, if you read the first book and want to know more about Rodrick, this is your book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perils of Middle School in a Diary Format, January 30, 2008
This review is from: Rodrick Rules (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Book 2) (Hardcover)
He did it again. Jeff Kinney has taken the ups and downs of middle school, friendship, parents and brothers and turned them into a wonderful diary-novel complete with pictures. It's a nonstop read. I laughed so hard and the characters stay with you long after you put the book down. This is a great book for reluctant readers. The best news, there is a third diary on the way!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars This book rules, February 27, 2008
This review is from: Rodrick Rules (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Book 2) (Hardcover)
Diary of a wimpy kid RODRICK RULES is so COOOOOOL! you should read this book you should trust me. Its about this kid named greg and his older brother rodrick and one day they did a party when the parents are gone remember what I said in the begining its AWSOME bye.

NAME:Simon AGE:8

4.0 out of 5 stars less of more, April 25, 2008
This review is from: Rodrick Rules (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Book 2) (Hardcover)
This second book is,as the title, states, less of more. The first book was great and I found myself indentifying with the main character.
The second book I was less sure.
Stil.it's a wonderful tale of woe, book 1 and 2. I love them both.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, March 10, 2008
This review is from: Rodrick Rules (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Book 2) (Hardcover)
We are in England and my 10 year son made be buy this sequel from amazon.com as he couldn't wait for it to reach our shores. There is something about these books that makes my son want to read and that's a big plus point in my eyes! He loved this book as much as the first and it was read in a matter of days. Roll on number three!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Takes you back to middle school fun times, February 9, 2008
This review is from: Rodrick Rules (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Book 2) (Hardcover)
I absolutely loved reading this light read. This book will get you giggling as you remember your middle school years through the eyes of Gregory and his family/friends. After reading the first book, Diary of a Wimpy Kid ,I gave it to my nephew who is in 4th grade. He LOVED it and couldn't wait to read this second book. He is now writing his very own book of experiences in a cartoon format. He told me to tell everyone that these books have introduced him to how fun reading can be and he cannot wait for the next book. Buy it, you will love it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Diary of a Wimpy Weasel, January 21, 2011
Steven (WEST BLOOMFIELD, MI, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rodrick Rules (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Book 2) (Hardcover)

And worst of all, he's a bully.

In the second book, for example, we spend considerable time on a storyline in which Greg pretends one of his classmates doesn't exist. He refuses to acknowledge the other boy's existence--won't talk to him, pretends not to see him, says mean and cutting things about him while he's standing there--and the "game" spreads to the other kids in school, until none of the other kids acknowledge the boy's existence, either. The boy is reduced to tears in one scene, and Greg thinks this is just wonderful because he himself isn't on the receiving end of the humor. Eventually, Greg is called into the principal's office about it, but the principal gets the names mixed up (the boy is foreign, see, and his name is strange--har har har) and he ends up telling Greg to apologize to the wrong kid, which Greg happily does, and he goes right on with his little game until the boy's father comes over to Greg's house. Greg thinks he's in big trouble, but by now the boy is so starved for human contact that he willingly plays video games with Greg. End of story.

This kind of stuff happens all the time. Greg deliberately uses safety patrol to get out of math class and then scares the kindergartners he's supposed to be helping until one of them pees his pants. He writes a comic strip for the school newspaper that makes fun of other students. He hides a barbell in a pillow so his best friend trips on it and breaks his toe. He cheats on tests at school. He puts off doing class projects and then gets his dad to them for him. And he's never called to account for any of this. He never gets into major trouble (his ineffective mother occasionally grounds him, but he always weasels out of it), he never loses any friends, his teachers never say anything.

This is supposed to be a likable protagonist? I feel no sympathy for Greg. I want to see him get what's coming to him, or at least be forced to see what a little creep he is, and I'm always disappointed when it doesn't happen. Bart Simpson, in contrast, has moments when he does nice things for people, and he at least admits that the bad things he does are indeed bad. Greg doesn't do anything nice for anybody and doesn't seem to realize or care that he's a monster.

At the end of each book, the several disparate plotlines inevitably come smashing together in a big dogpile, and in the books I've read so far, they get resolved by sheer chance. Greg doesn't solve his own problems. He also doesn't change; the character is totally static. This is nearly as big a sin as the bullying.

Greg is far from the wimpy kid he pretends to be in the titles of his books. He's a sly, sneaky, conniving, cruel bully. The books are supposed to be funny, but they're funny like that obnoxious uncle every family has, the one who says, "Hey, fatso--when's the baby due? Aw, you know I'm just kidding around."

Give them a miss, folks.

Rodrick Rules (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Book 2)
Rodrick Rules (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Book 2) by Jeff Kinney (Hardcover - February 1, 2008)
$13.95 $7.90