5.0 out of 5 stars Better than I suggested previously., January 19, 2000
Eddie Healy "Eddie Healy" (Dallas, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rodrigo: Complete Guitar Works Vol. 1 (Audio CD)
I posted a review for this first volume of Scott Tennant's complete guitar works of Joaquin Rodrigo sometime ago before submitting a member profile. While I still stand by the statements I made in the review I submitted under "eddie healy", I believe I made one mistake that I would like very much to correct. I initially gave this album a four star rating, and while I rated this disc that way because it is a rather quiet recording, I don't think I gave Scott Tennant the recognition he truly deserves for these excellent perfomances. This is absolutely some of my favorite solo guitar playing!

4.0 out of 5 stars This recording is highly energetic and expressively superb., November 16, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Rodrigo: Complete Guitar Works Vol. 1 (Audio CD)
With his first release in the series of complete guitar works by Joaquin Rodrigo, Scott Tennant has succeeded in energizing some of the most well known pieces of the contemporary spanish guitar repetoire. His masterful sense of phrasing and dazzling technique put him at the top of my list of interpreters of Rodrigo's works.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worthwhile Integral Recording, November 10, 2006
This review is from: Rodrigo: Complete Guitar Works Vol. 1 (Audio CD)
I first heard Scott Tennant play in the 1984 Toronto guitar competition where he placed second after the Brazilian guitarist Marcelo Kayath. He is certainly in the first rank of guitarists (in Romero circles, he is reputed to be able to play the Villa-Lobos Etude #1 even faster than Pepe).

I am a great admirer of Joaquin Rodrigo, but hearing all of his solo guitar music together like this reminds me that he is a rather inconsistent composer--sometimes with wonderful musical ideas, at other times with ideas that make you wonder why he bothered. There is a reason why no-one plays Entre Olivares, for example. It's difficult and doesn't seem worth the effort. On the other hand, the Tiento Antiguo is a wonderful, compelling work.

What you can count on with this recording is accurate, technically assured performances. We owe Scott Tennant a debt of gratitude for making this integral recording. But even he can't make every piece compelling. Apart from the occasional 'flamenco push', which is what I call the mannerism of rushing the end of the phrase that is very common among some Spanish-influenced players, Scott's playing is admirable with lovely colors and excellent dynamic range.

Probably the finest recording of Rodrigo's solo music was on the flip side of one of Julian Bream's recordings of the Aranjuez. He, Bream, is certainly not much of a concerto player--it is really Pepe Romero that owns that piece--but Bream's versions of the Three Spanish Pieces and the Invocation and Dance are unforgettable. I think it is safe to say that until Bream recorded the Passacaglia that is the middle movement of the former, that none of us had the slightest idea what to do with that piece

5.0 out of 5 stars The Maxim Vengerov of Guitar . . ., July 31, 2013
x-con ron (Portland, OR USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rodrigo: Complete Guitar Works Vol. 1 (Audio CD)
One of my favorite Rodrigo recordings for classical guitar, as well as Marcin Dylla's Chitarra Giocosa. Scott Tennant makes the music his in the same way David Russell does on his Tarrega recordings. Impecable, and his Eric Sahlin guitar covers it all. Highly recommended!

Rodrigo: Complete Guitar Works Vol. 1
Rodrigo: Complete Guitar Works Vol. 1 by Joaquin Rodrigo (Audio CD - 1996)