Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Indie for the Holidays in Prime Music Shop Now HTL

on December 7, 2010
Why is it that one would buy the new edition year after year? First off, unlike Leonard Maltin's, a good portion of the material is new. No problem having to skip all over the book in order to find something new to read.But most importantly to me, be them reviews about good movies, bad movies, exciting or boring, big or small, Roger Ebert's reviews always make for an excelent reading, often more fun than the movies themselves. Is the number of stars more or less accurate than those other critics assign? Who cares? After reading Ebert's reviews, I always come out knowing whether I should watch a film or not and that to me is the biggest service a film critic can provide.
on October 17, 2011
The content of this book is very good. The problem with the book is not with the author or his writing. The problem with this book is that it is 800 pages in print with 500 movie reviews and virtually no table of contents and no index. True there are a few hyperlink entries in the TOC for the Introduction, Interviews, Essays, Best of's, and Journal topics; but a link to each review? Well, the Reviews link gets you to A, "Accomplices", and that's it. But maybe that's why it costs $2.99. Kindle Readers be forewarned.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 29, 2011
I ALWAYS read reviews before I buy... but not this time. Someone beat me to the punch and shared my exact same frustration. I loved the sample Kindle version I received. Before buying, I even looked at the table of contents to be sure there was an INDEX as this volume contains hundreds of movie reviews and I imagined that I would flip to the movies I wanted to read about. Silly me - I was looking at the hard copy version of the book on-line - not the KINDLE version. Who would've thought there would be a difference? The KINDLE version has no index....

I still bought figuring that I could search the book to get to where I wanted to go... Using the index that was on-line for the hard-copy version of the book. But no. When I try to search on "Avatar", I get a little message from KINDLE saying the book has not been indexed for searching... "Try back later".... "Try back later?" What does that mean? Appears that I can't search on anything!!!

As it was inexpensive, I guess I'll muddle through, but how ridiculous, KINDLE! Shame on you. If you can't do it right, you really shouldn't sell this volume as an e-book. I really love my Kindle, hence the frustration that something so poorly thought out would be associated with something I highly recommend to everyone that will listen.
VINE VOICEon March 2, 2012
Reviewing reviewers always seems a little odd to me, as if it were the beginning of a chain in which people could review my review of the reviewer and so on. Then again, if we want to understand what makes Roger Ebert stand out, we need to evaluate his work.

His Movie Yearbook 2011 contains a bunch of movie reviews, primarily of films released in 2009 and 2010. All the movies contain the vital information of cast, credits, length and MPAA rating, along with Ebert's own rating which is on a four star scale. In addition, the book has a number of interviews, some reporting (primarily on events at the Cannes Film Festival) and answers to various questions he has been given.

Ebert is a bit of a movie snob, but fortunately, not too much of one, as he's often amenable to less high-brow entertainment. Of course, his tastes don't fully agree with mine (and they won't with yours either); there are some movies I considered absolute garbage which he liked, and the reverse is true as well. The point of a book like this, however, is not necessarily to agree with every opinion, but rather to get exposed to a wider variety of movie fare and to be able to look at these movies with a better understanding of how they work.

Ebert may be one of the last of the great movie critics. In this Internet era, everyone's a critic, which dilutes the product. In addition, the print media has declined, offering less forums for the critic, and studios are getting less inclined to offer movies for review prior to opening day. As Ebert and a few others stop writing, the replacements will not have the same prominence. There will be less books like The Movie Yearbook in the future, so we should enjoy them while we can.
on April 19, 2012
Disappointed in this review book. It gives only recent movies. The old movie guide used to write-up all the movies or many of them and was great.
on April 5, 2011
As is the case with his earlier editions, a superb tome - I have just finished it and could not put it down !

Arrived earlier than estimated, in excellent condition to a well-satisfied customer !