5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant (no pun intented)!
Up until now I have relied on a range of sto-fen diffusors and similar products to soften or re-direct light in the field. I never was truly happy with the sto-fens because their lack of versatility (but wich they make up in large parts due to their ruggedness and simplicity).

Published on November 26, 2010 by C. Franz

2.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not good enough
Published on September 13, 2010 by B. Mitchell

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant (no pun intented)!, November 26, 2010
C. Franz (Zurich, ZH Switzerland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rogue FlashBenders ROGUERELG Large Positionable Reflector (Electronics)

Now, I've tried the Flash-Benders (their name always seems to me a tongue-in-cheek movie reference). Although not as simple to use as a sto-fen (or similar product), I was immidetely in love with how these series of diffusors allow me to direct light. I have both the medium and large set of Benders, and believe that if you have one, you should also get the other for a more complete set of tools.

Working with the flash benders is slightly more involved than with a pop-on cup like the sto-fens. Ideally, you'd use the bender in a sequence of shots, literally shaping the perfect light as you go. This makes it awkward for using it in real-time events (e.g. a wedding in progress), but it becomes the ideal field tool when you shoot the set pieces during interludes. If you are not pressed for time, these Benders can get you much better lighting than a classic cup or soft box. Creating the best shapes takes some getting used to, so expect to spend some time initially to get to know this diffusor.

One downside is that the Benders can get dirty easily, and are far more difficult to clean than a plastic cup (which, due to the way it works, is also much less susceptible to smudges). In no way this amounts to a show-stop, though.

Another slight drawback is that the Benders don't easily allow you to tint the light. This can usually be corrected either in post, or by inserting a color card into the flash (I prefer shooting with max light, and color correct in post anyway)

Still, I have found some unexpected studio uses. In our studio we use up to three Elinchrome 600 flash heads that should account for almost any lighting situation. Yet, some macro photography that required delicate lighting turned out much better with these (compared to the heads) dirt cheap diffusors mounted on a camera flash than we could achieve with a full studio set.

I wholeheartedly recommend these Benders, and do recommend that you get both sizes. For non time-critical field work there currently are few better alternatives, and the price is nearly unbeatable.

pros
- very versatile
- fits a wide range of flashes
- you can 'sculpt' light
- lightweight.

cons
- can get dirty
- less rugged than a plasic cup
- takes more time to set up
- limited ways to tint flash color

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, Must Have Item For Strobist Work!, April 22, 2013
Length:: 5:18 Mins

I am a strobist photographer. I shoot many weddings, modeling portraits indoor and outdoors and also family portraits. When the wind picks up the umbrellas get put away and the flash benders with diffuser panels come out! These are amazing in every way. Watch my review video.

For more reviews, check out my channel below.

Corey Benoit
Faymus Media
faymusmedia.com
youtube.com/faymusmedia

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but could (easily) be better., February 4, 2011
I experienced the same problem with it's weight causing the flash (Canon Speedlite 580EX) to drop down. Personally, I think the three "positional rods" are too heavy of a gauge. A lighter gauge would have worked better. I'm tempted to return the item or replace one or more of the rods to avoid this problem. Positioning the "integrated belt" further down on the flash head helps but it also reduces the reflector amount. I wonder how much field testing ExpoImaging did not to discover then address this problem on the large Flashbender.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nearly there..., January 24, 2013
The short answer: I like it and I would buy it again.

The longer answer is, well, longer.
- It does provide for lots of latitude when shooting in improvised studio-like conditions.
- It is very well made although I did get a stain on the white side that I can't really get rid of (not a big deal).
- I use it with or without the diffusion panel (Rogue Photographic Design ROGUEDFPLG Large Diffusion Panel (Black/White))
- It is quite expensive for what it is.
- It is too heavy to really use on your on-camera flash while mingling in the event you are shooting: unless you are committed to keeping your flash head straight up, and even then it is heavy enough to bend the flash head to 90 degrees (canon 580 and 430, Yongnuo 560 although this one I use for background).
- When the flash is on a stand, then you have much more latitude to position the head (assuming ball head, Justin clamp or equivalent) so that it is already in its end position and won't go further, nixing the problem.
- It can be used for a snoot or a rimlight in a pinch, but I usually have a grid that will do a better job, so this point is moot for me.
- I allows for the gels I use which are the Rogue gel.

All in all: well done, too heavy, quite expensive, useful in many situations, not a panacea.
I might not buy the diffusion panel again although I use the one I have:
It is not as practical as one might want, and is quite expensive for a simple piece of fabric (and some gizmoization) that becomes one mor thing to lug around. If you are in a studio environment, you can get decent small soft boxes that are bigger and better for the half the price of the flashbender and the diffuser; if you travel, the flashbender alone gives a light that is not much harder than with the diffuser and that you can direct more efficiently to your subject, thus saving batteries (since TTL will adjust the released power).

2.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not good enough, September 13, 2010
B. Mitchell "bem202" (Stone Mountain, Georgia USA) - See all my reviews
The Rogue FlashBender is an example of great idea that suffers from poor execution. I own several other flash diffusors and I was eager to try the FlashBender because of its apparent versatility. The metal rods that allow it to bend was intriguing. However, the FlashBender has too much weight and my Nikon SB-900 flash is not strong enough to accommodate it. When I set the flash head at 45 degrees, the weight of the FlashBender forces the head to drop to 90 degrees. For this reason, I returned it.

5.0 out of 5 stars a reflector I have been searching for, July 22, 2010
I have been looking for a reflector for my various off camera flashes, one I can throw in the bag and not worry about for sometime.

I have tried a number of products but they either required other hardware, were poorly constructed or did not work very well. (You all know who you are.) I had quit carrying a flash all the time because of the lack of a useful reflector/diffuser.

I like how the Flashbender securely fastens to any of my flashes. I love the variety of ways I can position it. And the construction is marvelous, it is very well made. I will get a lot of use out of my Rogue FlashBender!

Expoimaging Rogue FlashBender Large Positionable Reflector

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for Macro and OCF, February 1, 2011
I got this mainly for Macro work to use with my 430ex and OCF cord. I'm pretty happy with the results so far. The Flashbender is built well and works as described. The bend-y pieces inside the material seem like they'll last a long time. It folds in half lenghtwise without bending the bend-y parts so it fits in my camera bag well. As others have said, it is a bit heavy for some speedlights. On my 430ex if I point the flash head 45 degrees up there's a good chance the flash head will fall to horizontal. This isn't really a big issue because you can just point the flash straight up and bend the flashbender.

This is the best portable light modifier I've used and it's not terribly expensive. I've taken a few shots of my daughter and it helps soften the light quite a bit. Not as good as bouncing, but it works well when that's not an option.

I've done a little bit of macro work with my 100mm 2.8 1:1 and this works well if you can get your flash off camera. You won't get that "ring light" look but it works well. In relation to your macro subject this makes a pretty big light source so the light is soft.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant product design, awesome for on-the-go portraits, August 4, 2011
Just got my Large Rogue Flashbender. Awesome! I had been saving up for a Gary Fong Whaletail (hatches and reflectors and gels, oh my!). Then I discovered this at a third of the price. The Rogue FlashBender is a true winner because:

* No instructions required (or included). Just stretch the velcro belt around your flash and it's mounted, then start experimenting with how to bend the reflector and position your flash.
* Great wrap-around flash fill effect. You'll bend the top of the reflector differently depending on the proximity and color of the ceiling, but I was immediately able to get truly great flash-wrapped product shots and portraits
* Works perfectly with a Canon Speedlite 580EX II Flash. The flash had no problem supporting the weight.

My two applications are "portraits on the go" and product shots, both with a single on-camera flash. This is all I need for both. Five stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Big!!, February 17, 2011
This is an awesome flash modifier. It's well constructed and materials are very good.
It basically can turn into anything you want, a snoot specially. Very Versatile.
My only complain (if you can call it a complain) is that is really big and heavy. It does not stay up on one of my flashes, but that is a problem with the flash unit and not the Flash bender.
The medium unit might be more than enough for some people.

5.0 out of 5 stars I bought this because I'm a huge fan of photographer ..., February 10, 2015
I bought this because I'm a huge fan of photographer, Frank Doorhof (who's photo is on the packaging). I've always wanted to emulate his work and style. The photo I included is straight-from-camera. I used the flashbender as a smooth on a Yongnuo 568 flash triggered by Neewer radio triggers. Shot with T3i using a 24mm 2.8 lens. ISO 100, 200, 2.8. I used a red transparency as a gel on a 430ex flash.

Product is heavy and can drag the flash down. Tip: Turn the flash 180 degrees and place it on backwards so the flash doesn't fall.

Rogue FlashBenders ROGUERELG Large Positionable Reflector