Other Sellers on Amazon
+ Free Shipping
Rogue RM-100A A-Style Mandolin Sunburst
|Price:||$59.99 & FREE Shipping|
|You Save:||$90.00 (60%)|
- Maple neckRosewood fingerboardAdjustable compensated rosewood bridge12th-fret neck jointChrome tuning machinesNickel-plated fretsHigh-gloss finishF holesCase sold separately
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
The tall bridge is the only caveat, which makes the action way too high. So I sanded the bridge much lower as well as the back of the nut on the neck, with great results to the action. I also used a file across the frets to level everything out. I had never done this before but read how to do it online. So along with spending so little on it I learned how to be a mandolin luthier(!) Very satisfying.
|Length: 1:01 Mins|
|Length: 3:46 Mins|
- The sunburst finish on the one I bought was awesome. It was better than some really high dollar mandolins.
- The action was higher than I like and there isn't much room to adjust. It's OK right now, but in months or years to come, this will probably get worse.
- There is NO adjustable truss rod. Once this baby goes out of whack, you're gonnas have to toss it or turn it into a project to try to retrofit an adjustable truss rod and get some more life out of it.
- As with any new mandolin, it takes a few iterations to tune it since once you get through the one pair of strings, then the previous ones need adjusting again until there is the right tension on the top via the bridge. But once it's in tune, it holds pretty well.
- The tuning keys are actually much better than I expected. Comparing to other beginning mandos, this is easier to turn the tuning hardware compared my more expensive beginner with the adjustable truss rod.
- the all important sound. It sounds good. it's about the same as the other more expensive beginner brand.
Comparing to the price of other beginner models, you can buy 4 of these for the price of the other popular beginner model. So, buy a few, use one and put the other in the closet. When one goes bad, ditch it an break out another one.
I spent $50 on one of these and I have to say it's served my needs. It looks and sounds like a mandolin. It's playable. It looks pretty nice as longs as someone doesn't know anything about mandolins. You can use it to learn once you set it up right.
Here are some of the cons:
- not set up out of the box. I had to set the intonation and lower the action
- no truss rod so if the neck warps, you are out of luck
- laminate top, so the tone won't improve with age
- thick finish
- tuners on my were of varing quality. Some work well, some bind or are very loose
The only negatives were that the action was ridiculously high (what's the point of an adjustable bridge when the lowest setting is half an inch off the strings??) and the strings were a little dead sounding. With some aggressive sanding of the bridge and a new set of strings, it sounds good and plays great.
Depending on what they sent you and how the labor force was the day it was built, you actually might have a piece of firewood or a pretty playable (after you fix the bridge and strings...) little instrument. The hardware isn't the best and the tuners suck but hey, if you're just starting out, tuning is part of the game.
For $49.99 (and I've seen new ones 10 bucks less from time to time) it's worth the investment. You can spend more on dinner and a movie, and after you ate and watched the flick, it's gone. With the money spent here, you'll have something to keep you entertained until it falls apart and that will be much longer then one evening. My 7 year old boy owns mine now and he beats the hell out of it, so far, so good. It's been holding up well.
BTW, if $49.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Wonderful Mandolin! Arrived in perfect condition. Now a beloved member of our collection.Published 1 day ago by Joyful Reader
Great mandolin for a great price. Excellent merchant. Would recommend to anyone!Published 4 days ago by J Pousson
Very satisfied with the whole process. Fast delivery good construction. Boyfriend happy with product.Published 9 days ago by Amazon Customer
It seems to be a decent mandolin. It was tricky getting the bridge in the right place at first, but for what I paid, I have no complaints... Read morePublished 11 days ago by Miss Kitty
Bought as a birthday gift for a friend. It showed up on time...I was a little worried about the packaging. .small cardboard box and wrapped in plastic. Read morePublished 15 days ago by Pet Lover