5.0 out of 5 stars Well Designed

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat Incomplete
Hi everyone
Published on May 28, 2012 by dbandee

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Designed, March 2, 2012
This review is from: Rogue ROGUEGRID 3-In-1 Stacking Honeycomb Grid System with Pouch for all Shoe-Mount Flashes with Flash Units from Canon, Nikon, Sony, Metz, Nissin, Pentax, Olympus and Others (Electronics)
Owning and liking the Rogue Flashbender Small and the Flashbender Large, I did not hesitate to buy the Honeycomb Grid. I have experimented with it extensively to learn how it's light is projected onto a background. There is a lot of control. The high quality and security of how the Grid attaches to the flash is equal to the quality and security of the Flashbenders. I also tried the Grid in the Flashbender Small rolled up in a snoot as they said I could do and that also worked easily and securely. It provided yet a different circle of light.
Know that there are only two grids that make up the three choices of circle diameter. The picture on the box is wrong in that it shows a grid in the bezel and the two "real" grids in an exploded diagram. There are only a total two grids. That confused me at first because one of the grids comes inserted into the bezel and fits so supremely well that I didn't know it slid in and out with moderate and appropriate finger pressure. The three circle diameters come from using either one of the two different sized grids or using both grids together.
I will buy the colored gel set.

4.0 out of 5 stars A smart system with a few minor issues, May 8, 2012
The Rogue 3-in-1 grid produces BEAUTIFUL round spots of light, thanks in part to the reflective inside of the hood, similar to what you see in the Rogue Flashbender. Being able to switch between degrees of spread quickly, and without needing to grab an entirely different piece of hardware is great, and something that people who have struggled with rectangular grids will appreciate. The 3-in-1 unit is handy, and produces exactly the kind of light you want, all in a simple package.

That said, I have two complaints. First off, the front unit, the bit of rubber/plastic that holds the grids and attaches to the front of the hood does not lock in place with any degree of certainty. It just kind of slides into place over the seam on the edge of the fabric and stays in place by pressure and friction. I'm not sure how this could be done better and more elegantly, but even with all four "tabs" going over the seam, I've had the end cap fall out on a few occasions. Maybe if it were a permanent part of the hood, sewn in place, it would be more reliable, although that might cut down on the ease of replacing the discs. I don't know, but it's kind of a problem. I'm also not really happy with the hood itself, as it tends to droop down when mounted as the instructions call for. I've taken to mounting it upside down, so that when it inevitably starts to droop, it at least doesn't cut off the light output.

Then there's the price. Rogue makes fantastic stuff, and obviously a lot of engineering went into this thing, but $50 is a lot to drop on a great concept with so-so implementation. It definitely gets the job done with beautiful results, but I'd feel a lot better if the hood were stiffer, and the end cap were attached by some sort of locking mechanism.

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat Incomplete, May 28, 2012
dbandee (upstate New York) - See all my reviews
Hi everyone
I thought i would share my experience using this product. I really like the idea of this grid. But assembling it was a nightmare. Especially on a job. Can you tell the people in front of you to wait till you put this thing together? Nooooo... This hard fabric thing that holds the grid is absolutely ridiculous. Really, great idea but incomplete design, in my opinion. So i had to come up with the solution. I went to local Home Depot and got fenco rubber coupler 50mm by 50mm. The grid fits into this thing really nice and tight. the diameter of the coupler is a little too short for my canon 580 speedlight. So i trimmed the inside of the other end with a carpenter knife and it fits speedlight perfectly. I made two couplers for each grid. It snaps on in less than a second, since it is rubber it holds off to the flash real tight. I posted some pictures so check it out. Hope it helps.

2.0 out of 5 stars Does the job if it does not fall off the flash, May 16, 2013
Frank Donnino (Boynton Beach, FL United States) - See all my reviews
I am a professional photographer of 33 years so I am have some sense of what products do their job and which do not. This item seemed fine as I bought the Expodisc from this company. However the elastic bands that hold the snoot in place are useless. The nub they wrap around is too short and rounded and they just fall off. I got so frustrated I just Crazy Glued the snoot part to the fabric casing it goes on - in the front. Problem solved but they should reworked their design.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Light Modifier for Nikon, August 5, 2013
I've been looking for a compact snoot type modifier for my Nikon SB-800 for a long time, and have tried a number of commercial and DIY solutions, but the ROGUEGRID does the job better than anything else I've seen. It can be used for a background light, a hair light, and for all types of accents, with color gels or not. Just excellent!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice, April 2, 2014
These things are awesome. I have used them on my strobes as well. I have some cheap little 160w strobes that I never used anymore, until I got these. Now I place a grid on and instantly have hair light! I wish I would have bought the gels with it. They send one free one in the package and it's awesome.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as advertised!, March 9, 2014
On occasion, I have "strobist" type assignments, and this grid system really helps to get the job done. Sets me apart from other shooters!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great honeycomb filter, March 9, 2014
Quick postage. Great price. Love the compact nature of this product. Well designed and made from good materials. A real bonus to the studio kit!

2.0 out of 5 stars not well designed, August 26, 2013
i don't use this product too often. i found that the restraining "garter" does not hold the grid holder securely to the connecting tube. the front almost always gets dislodged from the tube.

4.0 out of 5 stars It works, December 16, 2012
It works better than I thought. It uses a small light source so you can only expect so much but decent little add on to create a spotlight effect for low cost.

Rate and Discover Movies