5.0 out of 5 stars Feel the stress of a rogue trader
Published on March 10, 2000 by Wallstreet

3.0 out of 5 stars EWAN MCGREGOR MAKES THE FILM!
Published on September 24, 2001 by EriKa

5.0 out of 5 stars Feel the stress of a rogue trader, March 10, 2000
This review is from: Rogue Trader (DVD)
As a previous employee of an investment bank, I found this movie rich with a realistic flavor of how stressful working in a fast paced trading environment can be. With recent headlines about day trading and stock market wealth, you'll find this production a fun topic of conversation as you watch Leeson (Ewan McGregor) risk the bank's capital speculating in Japanese stock index futures on an open out cry trading floor in Singapore. Based on a true story, some might remember reading about the failure of Barings, a major U.K. investment bank, yet McGregor's portrayal still makes you wonder what he will do next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant performance (McGregor)... Incredible Stupidity, March 23, 2001
John K. Reed (Harrisburg, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rogue Trader [VHS] (VHS Tape)
on the part of the upper management at Barings. I never cease to be amazed at how unstructured and ineffective many of our most supposed business leaders are. To me that was the best part of the story. How procedure and process is overlooked as long as the 'profits' keep rolling in and the incredible sense of arrogance and invincibility of the elite and powerful. Trades not verified, faxes accepted at face value, funds transferred out of fear rather than sound judgement.
And I found the film rather uncomfortable to watch. A true credit to McGregor's performance. It's almost like I could feel the weight of the incredible strain that he was under. Yet he (Nick Leeson) was also naive and arrogant enough to believe that he alone could move the market.
Although I don't know how true to the facts this film was I certainly felt like the events and atmosphere were honestly and objectively presented.
Unfortunately a film like this, as outstanding as it was, is not a film that I could see myself viewing over and over again. So definitely of 5 star quality but not necessarily a purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars It gives some insight!, April 28, 2003
This review is from: Rogue Trader (DVD)
This movie is based on the book of the same title and the actual events that occurred to collapse the Barings Bank. I was most impressed by the pace and direction that the director took with this movie.
It had some high energy points, especially when you Ewan McGregor begins to literally lose it as the option selling losses mount. You also see his duplicitous nature in his personal life and his professional life. There is nothing stop the train wreck coming.
A couple of things I didn't like was the misaccurate representation of this being like the stockmarket. The Singapore International Monetary Exchange is a futures and spot market for currency exchange. There were more intense elements that could have been brought in. This is an international scandal where are the Singapore regulators etc. every antagonist needs a solid protagonist and there wasn't one.
I have been involved with futures and options trading for the past 11 years. I know how intense it is to watch the screen as money ticks away from you. This just wasn't easy to convey in the film
Overall it is good insight into a world few will ever know. I think Nick Leeson did a terrible thing, but I my overall verdict is I'm not sure if it deserves a movie. Maybe that's why Singapore banned it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Story, June 30, 2000
This review is from: Rogue Trader [VHS] (VHS Tape)
This film must have gone direct to video in the US because I don't remember seeing a listing for it in theaters. This is a true story of Nick Leeson which it seems is somewhat controversial in Europe, especially in Great Britain. It is always difficult to depict a story from the headlines without controversy, because so many people have already formed opinions about the events from media accounts. This film was taken from Leeson's book, and therefore it depicts him favorably as not such a rogue after all. I'm certain that based upon the emotional reaction to the Barings Bank fiasco, this must have outraged a lot of people.
Here in the states, this news apparently was not quite as sensational as in Europe. Honestly, I must admit that when I was watching this movie, it took me a while to make the connection. I remembered Barings, but not Leeson's name. I had no recollection what happened to him. Since I only knew part of the ending, that made the movie more enjoyable. I suspect this might be the case with a lot American viewers.
This was a terrific film. Ewan McGregor was fabulous as the rogue. You like him right away, with his wide eyed ambition and determination and his blue collar work ethic. He brought great energy to the part and handled the broad range of emotions of his character with great skill.
The story was electrifying and (if you weren't already familiar with every detail) sucked you in with the anticipation of what he would try next to extricate himself. Of course, the story was told from Leeson's perspective and it made him very human, almost romantic and a victim of circumstance. I'm sure this was overly kind to him, but from the standpoint of enjoyment of the film, it worked well. Dearden's direction was well done, especially the madness of the trading floor.
My only criticism of this film was the audio. I found it very uneven with a lot of dropped dialogue that faded into inaudible mumbles.
All in all, I gave this film a 9. It may not have been totally accurate as history, but it was great entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars EWAN MCGREGOR MAKES THE FILM!, September 24, 2001
This review is from: Rogue Trader (DVD)
Any movie with Ewan McGregor has deserves some credit. He is such a talented and versatile actor that his presence lends almost any movie some credibility (except maybe the horrendous Eye of the Beholder). This film tells the true story of an English stock trader put in charge of handling his bank's positions in Asian markets from Singapore. To all outward appearances, the guy has it all-he is young, successful, newly married, and is seen as the most promising young talent in his bank's organisation. However, due to a string of unfortunate choices and mistakes, he is concealing some financial problems he thinks he can fix with just a few good days in the market. However, the Asian financial crisis dashed all his hopes and his bank went under. He was imprisoned in the mid 1990s. McGregor gives an outstanding performance here, giving a tense narration of the course of events that lead to his character's inevitable downfall.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent character study of Barings Bank Scandal, December 13, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Rogue Trader [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Ewan McGregor turned in a brilliant performance as Nick Leeson, the notorious stock broker who brought down Barings Bank. I thought this movie was fantastic. Ewan McGregor IS the entire movie - his acting is so convincing that I felt great sympathy for the character. The movie offers a very different perspective on the news scandal and I was surpised that I enojyed the film considering the subject matter. I liked this movie so much that I saw it 4 times. I plan to buy it on VHS once it becomes available to the masses.

4.0 out of 5 stars McGregor is fantastic, January 14, 2000
Steven Cortez (San Antonio, TX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rogue Trader (DVD)
Ewan McGregor in an extremely well acted role in the true story of the downfall of Britan's oldest financial institutions. Ewan plays a trader on the Singapore Stock Market who gets caught up in a high stakes gambling with his firms funds to cover up his own wagering, starting off as a simple small lose it snowballs into billions and he must fight against time to make back the losses before the deadline. McGregor's acting is great and you really get stressed yourself watching him go through everything he's that convincing. All and all a great suspense movie.

4.0 out of 5 stars How one man broke Bearings Bank, March 23, 2004
Mark Antony (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rogue Trader (DVD)
This film tells the true story of Nick Leeson, the floor trader on Simex exchange,Singapore, who singly handedly broke Barings Bank, in the mid '90's. Of how one mans ambition was overcome by pressures, and in turn, reckless gambling.
An incredible aspect of this case was how Leeson covered up for so long, and fooled so many, who it seemed, were so wrapped up in their own company rhetoric they simply wanted to believe in Leeson. The regional manager in Singapore had never even heard of the name of the brokerage house Leeson used to "invent" a trade to cover the missing and ever increasing deficit being incured in the "88888" account, a supposed customer account, but in reality, an back office error account.
The pace of the story is very well done here. My only gripe is, for a film with excellent supporting cast, why did they take so little care over the choice of the leading players? Ewan McGreggor is convincing as Leeson only when the sickly scenes with his wife are not on screen, the hoplessly miscast Lisa.
Some may find the numerous and fast financial terms not easy to follow. But a fascinating story, with great use of background music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little film, June 1, 2003
This review is from: Rogue Trader (DVD)
I say "little" because not much of a splash on the radar when it came out. I am a huge Ewan McGregor fan so I have been on the look out for every example of his work for a few years now. When I first heard about Rogue Trader, amazingly I actually remembered the true story behind it too so I was excited to see the film. The film itself is both exciting and sad. You see a young hot shot getting in over his head in more exotic locales and how far he goes to cover up--to the failure of the British home company. If you want to bring morals into the picture you can see the exact moment where he crosses the line, telling a lie that he can only embellish and make worse until ka-boom, it all falls down. So basically the film doesn't in my opinion glorify the actions of the main character.
Ewan does a great job (well he always does in my biased opinion) and I enjoyed the perfomances of all the supporting characters as well. Highly recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good...., April 7, 2000
Hugh K. (Frankfurt. Germany) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rogue Trader (DVD)
I understand that this book was based on Leeson's own account, but despite that it gives a good view of his foolishness and culpability. However, I can't see some other former Baring's employees being too happy with this.
As with another reviewer, I work in banking, namely providing IT support to the front and backoffices. The stress shown in this film on both sides is very realistic.
I saw this on a friend's video and will buy the DVD myself.

Rogue Trader
Rogue Trader by James Deardon (DVD - 2012)
$19.99