5.0 out of 5 stars This is great, very pleased - my second Roku!
Published 5 months ago by Sally U

1.0 out of 5 stars defective refurbished item
The product I purchased was refurbished. The HDMI cable port on the back of the item did not work. I returned it and purchased a Roku Stick that works great. If this seller is going to sell refurbished items, they should make sure they work properly.
Published 5 months ago by RWB

5.0 out of 5 stars This is great, very pleased - my second Roku!, August 8, 2014
This review is from: Roku (2710XB) Roku 1 Streaming Player (Black) (Certified Refurbished) (Electronics)
Decided to get this as I would be home-bound recovering from surgery for several weeks. We purchased one of the early Roku's back in 2011, but lent it to our roommate and we have a Panasonic Viera smart TV, but that's in our living room & I wanted to be comfy in the den. We have very basic cable in the den, so I figured I'd get a ton of use out of the Roku while recovering.

Anyway,first off - my favorite feature of this Roku is the search ability. If I want to watch something, I don't have to check all my channels for it, I can just search from the home screen and Roku will show me every channel it's available on, even if I don't have that channel installed.

They already had the most popular channels added and it's easy to remove unwanted channels.

In the 2 weeks or so I've had this one, I've never had a connection error and shows stream with high quality. Same goes for our other unit. It can be affected by wifi signal, so just make sure you have a strong signal.

The remote, although equipped with more buttons than previous models, is simple and easy to use. A fabric tag hangs off the bottom which makes it easy to orient the remote correctly in the dark.

I would recommend this for anyone who wants a better option than a computer or tablet device to stream Netflix and other similar channels. Those not very tech savvy may need a little help getting it set up and figuring out how to change the TV to the correct input to access it,but once everything is set up, it's quite easy to navigate.

Some things to note for those not familiar with the Roku:
-It's a streaming media device, not a service, so you only pay for the Roku and don't need to pay monthly for it, but...
-Many channels do require paid subscriptions (such as Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu Plus, Blockbuster, etc;)
-Roku requires internet, so you will need to connect it to your wifi or directly to your router
-It has YouTube and if you have a Smart Phone, you can connect your phone & send videos to watch through Roku (personally, that's the only way I use YouTube on the Roku because it sure beats trying to type out searches!)
-There is a Roku remote app you can download (at least for Apple products)
-There's no power button, but they say it requires very little power so it shouldn't be a problem
-You're required to enter a pin (that you set up) before making purchases on it so you don't need to worry about unauthorized purchases and...
-You can view & manage your Roku accounts online & view all Roku purchases as well through Roku.com
-It's easy to set up and just takes a couple minutes, but you will need to go to websites to register/link some accounts, so be prepared with a computer/tablet/smart phone during set up

5.0 out of 5 stars Roku >>> Wii, July 4, 2014
Only had it for 2 days, so i'll update in a few months as to its quality. I bought it to replace my Wii which has been acting up for some time now. The Wii was starting to annoy me very much with its constant screen blackouts and extremely slow navigation (I'm using Amazon Instant Video). Now with the Roku, I can start watching movies and shows almost immediately. I enjoy watching programs while I eat. Before, I would have finished 1/2 my meal by the time my show started. With the Roku I no longer worry about timing my eating and viewing. Plus, the navigation and response is much quicker on the Roku; a press of the button gets instantly registered whereas the Wii takes 2-5 seconds to accept an input. Compared to the Wii, the Roku is so much more convenient, saves times, can stream in HD, and provides a plethora of options to watch. Definitely worth the money.

As to this unit being refurbished, who would have thunk it. The only giveaway is the plain cardboard packaging.

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I would have bought one sooner, June 30, 2014
It works great. Very simple to set up and operate. We joined netflix for $8 per month and also signed up for several free channels. Goodbye to the dish and thier ripoff rates. We now have thousands of movies and tv shows at a very low cost.

5.0 out of 5 stars Refurbished? More like new!, July 16, 2014
Great streaming device. It says refurbished, but is pretty much brand new. Even with plastic wrap around device. It just didnt come with the original Roku box. Other than that everything else was perfect. No scratches anywhere. No signs of use. Highly recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Stuff...., July 6, 2014
Gee Emm "G" (Nottingham., Nottinghamshire. United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Works great, wouldn't know it was a refurb. Everything looks brand new. Super quick service. Easily allows access on an old non-HDMI tv to my Netflix account plus all the other Roku accessible streams. Most tv streaming services are showing old crappy stuff that I will never watch but PBS, History, Smithsonian and many others stream some really good shows. Obviously these are the free channels but I guess you can access more to your tastes if you wish to pay for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Roku 1, June 16, 2014
One of my favorite purchases EVER...I purchased this for my granddaughter to use with her television and it's great! Now I want one for every TV in the house!

1.0 out of 5 stars defective refurbished item, August 6, 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 18, 2014
It's saving me over $100 on cable!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Roku 1 exceeds expectations, October 31, 2014
The Roku box has been a key purchase in helping our family cut the cord and save over a 1000 dollars a year. The Roku box is easily set up. I was able to connect the cords to my TV ,connect to WIFI, and stream my favorite TV shows in minutes. The Roku box has apps where you can subscribe to a variety of streaming services including my favorites Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Amazon Prime. The Roku box is small and can easily be attached with Velcro to the top of my TV. The Roku Remote is very basic, there is no keyboard on the remote so searching takes a little longer with the onscreen alphabet. I was easily able to find a free phone and tablet app to control my Roku. I can control my Roku using my android phone or Ipad tablet. I don't have to worry about the kids misplacing the remote.
The Roku box is reliable and always loads my favorite apps. The remote even has buttons for direct connection to MGO, Amazon, Netflix and Vudu. I have two additional smart TVs in my home, but I actually prefer the Roku box. My main TV occasionally has difficulties stalling and being unable to connect to Netflix or Amazon. I like to idea that with a cheaper non smart TV that I can easily buy a Roku or future streaming box with additional capabilities. My smart TV will always have the same format even years from now when technology has improved. I would urge buyers to save the money, skip buying a smart TV, and connect a TV to Roku or another streaming box variety. I bought additional Roku boxes for family members. A streaming box makes a great gift and allows family members to realize they don't need an expensive TV provider bill.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great so far., July 26, 2014
It's fast for surfing netflix compared to other devices.

They say you get "hundreds of channels" but I notice they want you to sign up, or it's a free trial, or you already have to have HBO, etc... So not really as many as they want to claim, but you do get some.