2,753 Reviews
 (1,531)

2,802 of 2,838 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Roku Strikes Back
These are my thoughts after a few days with the Stick. I will update my review as I learn and experience more if needed but I don't believe I've missed a lot because, as a current Roku 3 and Roku LT and Google Chromecast user, this is an easy to write review.

BROAD ASSESSMENT

There are several Roku models out there and then there's Chromecast so one...
Published 9 months ago by A. Dent

PLEASE SEE MY SIX MONTH UPDATE AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS REVIEW

Published 9 months ago by Jeffrey M. Welch

2,802 of 2,838 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Roku Strikes Back, March 27, 2014

BROAD ASSESSMENT

There are several Roku models out there and then there's Chromecast so one good question that needs to be answered is "why a Roku Stick and not a Roku 3?" or "why a Roku and not a Chromecast?" or "why not a Chromecast rather than a Roku?" As an owner and user of Roku LT, Roku 3 and now a Roku Stick and also a Chromecast, I will try to briefly provide some answers below but, first, let me state what the Stick is about and what it can and can't do.

[Roku Stick vs. Roku 3]

The Stick does very much everything a Roku 3 does, except that there are no games on it and it doesn't come with headphones. I confess that I never cared about playing games on the Roku because just about anything from a cheap phone to a gaming console beats the Roku gaming experience and I don't care about the headphone attachment either so not having these and paying less for your Roku is a good compromise but anyone who wants Roku games and a mono earbud should order a Roku 3.

The Stick lets you access the same enormous amount of channels as the other Roku devices, mostly VOD (video on demand) but also live streams. Almost all the popular 'pay' channels (Netflix, Amazon, Hulu Plus, HBO Go, MLB.TV , PBS, Showtime...) are there and hundreds of streams you never heard of but may end up watching every once in a while. The on-screen channel store breaks it all down into categories and you can easily browse Roku's store on a computer or tablet and order your channels to your device. And if there's something that you can't find in the official store you can always check the private channel listings. When it comes to 'content' Roku 3 and the Stick should be almost indistinguishable.

The Stick can pair with Roku's free mobile app to browse and select channels to stream and it should allow for cross-media searches so, for example, you can see where on the (major) channels/services a show or movie may be available and at what price.

The Stick features the same 1080p resolution as Roku 3 but browsing through menus appears to be slower than on the Roku 3, more like what you get out of a Roku 2 or a Roku LT. Wi-Fi is as good as on previous models, easy to set and so far stable.

And, of course, the Stick costs only half as much as the Roku 3.

[Roku Stick vs. Chromecast]

As I stated, we have a couple of Rokus around the house and a Chromecast attached to the big TV in the living room. I still like the Chromecast, especially its ability to cast my Windows computer screen but after I temporarily replaced it with the Roku Stick I am inclined to keep it this way, at least for a while and this is why.

+ Remote control (Roku): Yes, controlling the Chromecast from a Chromebook or laptop or tablet or phone is fun but the remote is easier and I don't need to mess with my other gadgets. Yes, it's one additional remote and it's not likely it can be easily integrated into a universal remote but it happens to be what I prefer.
+ Channels selection: this is were Roku's strength lies overall and it's 'hundreds' or 'over a thousand' for Roku vs. about a dozen (but growing) for Chromecast. Notably, Chromecast does not have an Amazon app and, given the Google/Amazon rivalry, it's not likely to have one soon but Roku does.
= Screen casting works well with YouTube and Netflix and it's the same quality as what you get out of the Chromecast. Both Roku and Chromecast are likey to add more apps.
- Casting off a browser is what may cause some to pick the Chromecast over a Roku. Yes, it only works with Chrome at this time (on Windows or a Chromebook) and the quality is very much affected by your computer's CPU and your Wi-Fi network but it does give you a lot of flexibility, especially with live streams.
- Chromecast is less expensive.

MY EXPERIENCE

If you've never used a Roku before but decided that you wanted one the Stick is probably the best bet because it's the least expensive Roku now unless you can get an LT on sale.

Installation was as easy as attaching the Stick into your TV's HDMI port. Like the Chromecast, the Stick works with a power adapter that needs a wall outlet. Since I already had a Roku account, I used my existing credentials but for those who don't it's easy to create one but you will be asked for credit card info. Then... go to the channel store and order whatever you want from there. For pay services such as Netflix or Amazon you will have to go through additional steps involving separate authentication and access codes but it's pretty self-explanatory and it's only done once.

The streaming is exceptionally smooth. I first set the Stick on the second floor which is some 60-70 ft. and two floors away from our dual-band Wi-Fi router located in the basement. Worked perfectly.

Remote control operation is generally smooth and the interface is intuitive. I am very familiar with the Roku interface so this is no surprise for me but I found it intuitive even on 'day one' albeit I was using it with a different Roku model then.

So far, the Stick was as stable and reliable as our Roku 3. There were no crashes and I didn't have to revisit my Wi-Fi setup after the initial installation. Will update once this changes.

The 'universal search' feature I like very much. You simply type in the name of a movie or show even an actor and you will see all your options on all channels and you will know in advance whether it's going to be free or exactly how much it was going to cost. On the Roku 3 all information appears almost instantly.

_______________________________________________________________

THE FAQ

I will try to keep this section as objective (factual) as possible. Some of the topics concern Roku in general, not specifically the Stick.

Q: Why would I want a Roku?
A: Roku has, by far, the largest number of 'channels' vs. any other competing product. If you like exploring content beyond the popular services (Netflix, Amazon, etc.) you should consider a Roku?

Q: Why would I want a Roku Stick?
A: The Stick is the least expensive Roku at this time. It's also the smallest and therefore inherently portable.

Q: When I shouldn't pick a Roku Stick over other Roku models?
A: The Stick is HDMI only, does not support games and does not come with the earbud attachment. It's also somewhat slower when compared to Roku 3.

Q: Can I use a Roku Stick with a TV lacking an HDMI port?
A: No.

Q: What are the best screen resolution and audio supported?
A: 1080p, 7.1/5.1 surround sound.

Q: Is the Roku Stick energy efficient?
A: The Stick can be powered through the provided AC adapter or your TV's (powered) USB port. Note that there is no on/off switch or button on the remote so it's always 'on' unless you unplug it.

Q: Is there an Ethernet (wired) port?
A: No. The Stick supports Wi-Fi connections only.

Q: Is everything included to make my Roku Stick work besides a TV and an Internet router?
A: Yes. You get the remote (batteries included), the AC wall adapter, the Get Started pamphlet.

Q: Do I need 'line of sight' to control the Stick?
A: No, it comes with an RF remote so you can operate it with the remote even if it's sitting at the back of your TV.

Q: Can I stream off a PC?
A: Yes through a supported service such as Plex (I know there are others but Plex is the only one I've tried so far).

Q: Are the Roku channels free?
A: Many of them are but Roku also streams 'premium' channels for which you will require a separate subscription.

Q: What are private channels.
A: These are channels that, for whatever reason, are not listed by the channel store. You can easily make them 'appear' on your TV by picking them from one of the sites that lists such channels. See the first comment to this review for the URLs of such sites.

Q: How much it costs to use a Roku?
A: Once purchased, it could cost you nothing. Or you may subscribe to one or more premium services.

Q: Can I have more than one Roku tied to one account?
A: Yes.

Q: Will the Stick get the channels I set on my other Roku devices if I am using the same account?
A: Yes.

Q: Can I search for a specific movie or show across all of Roku's channel?
A: Yes. You can also search for other related information such as movies featuring one specific actor. Only keep in mind that the not all services may show up in searches but all major or popular ones usually do.

Q: Can I watch YouTube on the Roku?
A: Yes.

Q: Are there shortcuts to my favorite channels?
A: The remote has dedicated buttons to MGo, Amazon, Netflix and Blockbuster.

Q: If I also have Chromecast, will I be able to control which device gets the Youtube stream?
A: Yes, tested on a Chromebook.

Q: Can I cast from a phone or tablet?
A: Yes for Netflix and Youtube at this time but more services should be added later.

Q: Can I get live news channels on the Roku?
A: Yes. You may be able to find such channels at the store or as private channels listings but most US 'mainstream' news channels only offer a selection of recent on-demand videos.

Q: Are non-video streams supported?
A: Yes, radio stations and music streaming channels such as Pandora are supported.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost Roku's Top Device, April 13, 2014
This review is from: Roku 3500R Streaming Stick (HDMI) (Electronics)
First, some background: I have had Roku devices since the company released their first one years ago. I've upgraded through every generation, as well as using other streaming devices from other companies. I know my way around cord-cutting, as I've been off cable and terrestrial television for about 5 years now.

Now, on to the review...

ROKU'S BEST EFFORT THUS FAR

Yes, I'll stand by this statement. Roku has taken all the best things about their devices and compacted it into a stick that takes up minimal space, has varying options for power sources, and works better than anything at this price point... But that doesn't mean it's perfect. Let's get into the meat of the situation and talk about why their best effort is still short in a few places, and why that shouldn't (or should) matter to you.

SO SHOULD I GET THIS OR THE ROKU 1?
The obvious starting conversation here is "should I get Roku Streaming Stick or the Roku 1, since they're both about the same price?" and the answer is a bit more complex than a simple yes or no.

▼ User Interface: The Roku Streaming Stick for HDMI has the same basic user interface as the Roku 1. It seems to be a tiny bit quicker in menus, but it's really not a noticeable difference as far as I'm concerned. The Netflix app is slightly different, but that comes down to personal preference as I can't say one or the other is better; both Netflix interfaces have their merits and their negatives. Most other apps are identical on all Roku devices.

▼ Remote Control: Here's where we hit the first stumbling block for the Roku Streaming Stick. While the Roku 1 supports an IR remote, the Streaming Stick only supports RF. What this means is that if you use a universal remote control, such as Logitech's Harmony series, you will NOT be able to control the Roku Streaming Stick with it. You will be stuck using the Roku Streaming Stick's included remote.

This would not be a problem for most people, but when you're used to an elegant and well-made remote, the Roku Streaming Stick's remote is a huge step down. It's fat, heavy, has odd button placement (why is the "OK" button UNDER the control cross on this, but in the middle on the Roku 1? I much preferred the button in the middle of the cross), has direct buttons for MGo, Netflix, Vudu, and Amazon (which is great if you use all of these, but wastes space if you don't), and of course it lacks controls for other devices like your TV, receiver, or soundbar.

The Roku 1, on the other hand, supports IR input, which means it works perfectly with Logitech's Harmony Remotes. If this is important to you, then you may want to avoid the Roku Streaming Stick. If you plan to use a universal remote in the future, you may want to stick with Roku 1, 2, or 3.

Granted, you can always use the Roku App for Android or iOS on your tablet or phone, but that's not exactly an improvement. The remote app still doesn't control volume or any TV/Audio functions, and additionally ends up draining battery from your phone or tablet. It's a tiny patch for a very big hole. It's also worth noting that the iOS version is for iPhone/iPod touch, and will be blown-up and a bit ugly on an iPad, since Roku hasn't bothered to make a universal version yet.

By the way, you know what's really annoying? When you're in the middle of a movie or show, and you accidentally hit one of the four instant-access buttons at the bottom of the remote (MGo, Amazon, Netflix, Vudu) -- You are instantly popped out of your video and taken to the other channel. I think they should consider an "are you sure?" prompt... Or sell a remote without these buttons!

▼ Heat: There is no doubt about the fact that the Roku Streaming Stick gets hot. The Roku 1 doesn't. This is to be expected when you're dealing with electronics packed into a tiny space, but it remains to be seen whether or not the hotter-running leads to shorter life. The jury's still out on this one.

▼ Power Options: The Roku Streaming Stick MAY work using power solely from your HDTV's HDMI port. This seems to me more common in 2013 model televisions and later, while older HDTVs don't output much power from the HDMI port at all. This means that the Roku Stick must be powered using the included USB cable. For most people, it's a simple matter of connecting to the USB port on your HDTV. For some people who bought cheaper TVs (Element, Sanyo, Emerson, RCA, etc.) there is often no USB port available, and as such these folks will be forced to run the USB cable to the AC brick, and plug into a standard wall outlet.

However, consider that the Roku 1 (and all other models) require using the wall outlet. Period. There is no option for USB power in other Roku models, and as such the Streaming Stick is simply more versatile when it comes to giving it power.

▼ Local Media Connectivity: There are no USB ports, or additional inputs on either the Roku 1 or the Roku Streaming Stick. If you want the USB port, you're stuck getting the Roku 3. Personally, I think it's not worth it because Roku handles local media so poorly. You're far better off getting a dedicated device for local media, such as the mid-range Micca players. Most devices, like the Roku or game consoles, that try to do many things at once tend to fail at the local media by limiting the size, format, container, or codecs of the media files you wish to play.

Essentially, local media is limited on the Roku 1 and Roku Streaming Stick to a network server, such as the EXCELLENT Plex Media Server and it's accompanying app for Roku. I think most people who keep their PC on all the time will be pleased with Plex as their local media source.

▼ Video Connectivity: The Roku Streaming Stick is obviously HDMI only. If your TV is old, you won't be able to use the Roku Streaming Stick very well or at all, and you really should go for the Roku 1 (or other Roku models), which all support AV connections.

▼ Audio Connectivity: The Roku Streaming Stick supports 5.1 audio via HDMI. For those of you with receivers, you would just plug the Roku Streaming Stick directing into your receiver, and then output via HDMI to your TV, monitor, or projector. Your receiver should be able to decode the 5.1 audio from your Roku Stick without a problem. Just make sure you go into Roku Settings and set the audio for Surround Sound instead of Stereo!

The Roku 1 also supports HDMI 5.1, as well as supporting standard RCA red/white stereo and Dolby audio. If your receiver is old and doesn't have HDMI input, then you have no choice: You will NOT be able to get audio from the Streaming Stick and must choose the Roku 1, 2, or 3.

The same applies to soundbars. The Roku Streaming Stick will not output optical (toslink), coaxial, or RCA red/white audio, so your only choices would be to have a soundbar that has HDMI input that passes video to your TV via HDMI outputs (less likely), or to output audio from your TV to your non-HDMI soundbar and keep it in stereo.

▼ Internet Connectivity: The Roku Streaming Stick supports dual-band wireless; the Roku 1 doesn't. If you don't know what any of this means, then you most likely don't need dual-band wireless right now and can get either device without worrying about it.

▼ YouTube: For some reason, Roku has decided that the Roku 1 won't have YouTube yet. They say they're working on it, but it's pretty obvious that withholding YouTube from their lowest-priced Roku box is a means to lean people toward the higher-priced models.

Meanwhile, as something of a surprise, the Roku Streaming Stick does support YouTube natively, and even supports "casting" from YouTube; A method by which you choose your videos on a portable device or PC, and then "send" it to the Roku. The Roku connects to YouTube directly instead of to your device, and plays your video.

It's a good thing they have this, because the built-in YouTube app interface is clunky, and the search is slow and messy. You almost NEED the casting feature for YouTube to be fully functional.

Another note: If you don't have a birth year listed on your Google+ account (oh, yes: You have one. They kinda forced you to) then you won't be able to view age-restricted YouTube videos on the Roku.

If you need YouTube, then the Roku 1 is out for the time being. Maybe in a few months to a year they'll put YouTube on it, but for now the lowest-cost YouTube-capable Roku is the Streaming Stick. If you don't care about YouTube, then the Roku 1 will be fine.

It should be noted that all other video apps are supported on Roku 1. YouTube is the only one missing, so don't worry about missing out on other Roku channels, including private channels. The Streaming Stick and Roku 1 both support every other channel.

▼ Remote Headphone Jack: Neither the Roku 1 or the Streaming Stick have it. When I had my Roku 3, I never used it, but you may have need of such a thing. if that's the case, you need to aim for the Roku 2 or Roku 3.

▼ Send Video/Photo/Music from Roku App: Both devices fully support this feature.

▼ Search: Both devices fully support Roku's system-wide search feature, which can be very handy for finding contend quickly and easily. This is one of Roku's best features, no matter which unit you own.

▼ Casting: As I said above, the Roku Streaming Stick's YouTube app supports "casting", which is the process of choosing content on a portable device such as a smart phone or tablet, and then instructing the Roku Stick to connect with YouTube directly (NOT with your device) and display the video. This feature is also supported by Netflix, so if you don't like searching on your TV screen for videos on Netflix, you can use your portable device, find the video, and then cast it to your Roku Streaming Stick.

Personally, I have yet to need this for Netflix, as the Roku's Netflix interface is quite nice. Your mileage may vary, though.

And of course, the Roku 1 doesn't do this at all. If you really want the casting feature for Netflix and YouTube, the Streaming Stick is your only choice.

▼ Price: Currently, they're priced the same. No winner here.

▼ Fit: Believe it or not, some people have complained that the Roku Streaming Stick doesn't fit in their TV's HDMI port because of placement, proximity to other ports, or space behind the TV if wall-mounted. The Streaming Stick isn't for everyone because of this, and you may find that the standard Roku 1 device is more versatile in terms of where you can connect it.

TIPS AND NOTES
I find that a lot of new Roku users are confused by some things, so I'll try to offer some advice here.

▼ You don't turn it off! The Roku devices are designed to remain on at all times. They don't use much power, and when they're on a menu (even within an app, such as the Netflix or Roku app), they don't use any of your Internet bandwidth. Even if you pause a video and leave for a week, you won't use up your bandwidth. PLEASE, if you want the Roku to work properly and easily, don't unplug it or connect it to a surge protector with a switch that you flip when you're done. DON'T TURN IT OFF unless you need to reset the device for some reason! It will NOT be a problem to leave it on. It's designed that way!

▼ As I noted above, if your HDMI port doesn't supply enough power to the Roku Stick, then search the back of your TV for a USB port and use that to power the Stick, using the included USB cable. That should be enough to do the job, and you won't need to connect to a wall outlet or surge protector.

▼ Harmony Users: We're pretty much boned here. We can't use our Harmony remote or hub to control the Roku Streaming Stick, and that means we're stuck using the Roku remote or the Roku App. Take heart, though: You can always have the Roku App and the Harmony App next to each other, and switch between them on your smartphone or tablet. It's not the best solution, but until Logitech decides to connect to the Roku using WiFi, we're out of luck. Only the Harmony keyboard supports RF.

▼ SPECIAL NOTE FOR HOTEL TRAVELERS: If you're picturing grabbing the Roku Streaming Stick and popping it into the hotel TV, then connecting to the hotel WiFi, you may want to reconsider. The Roku Stick does NOT have a web browser, and many hotels (and other free WiFi suppliers) require you to open a web page and accept their Terms & Conditions before being granted access to the Internet. You can't use your portable device or laptop to accept the Terms & Conditions and then stream on the Roku; The Terms & Conditions are usually required to be accepted ON THE DEVICE THAT IS ACCESSING the Internet, i.e. the Roku Streaming Stick.

What this means is that many hotels will simply NOT allow you to connect a Roku Streaming Stick and start watching videos. You may be able to use the "cast" feature to initiate videos from Netflix if you do it from your PC or portable device (I have not tested this yet), but Amazon, Vudu, Hulu, and all other channels except YouTube will be blocked.

My advice, if you are a traveler dreaming of a simple way to watch movies in the hotel without paying the hotel's PPV prices, is to pick up an HDMI cable and bring your laptop. You will have a far easier time connecting your laptop to the TV and using it as a monitor than you will trying to get a Roku Streaming Stick to access hotel WiFi in many places.

▼ I highly recommend getting a screensaver that has weather and time, and setting it to your local area. It's very handy to have the Roku serve as a clock/weather guide when in screen saver mode.

▼ Don't consider the Roku a gaming device by any means. Yes, there are games, but they're not highly-developed and control is frankly pretty awful. If you want a cheap gaming console, consider the Amazon Fire TV, the Ouya, or pick up a used Wii. The Roku is first and foremost a video streaming device, and the games are an afterthought, at best.

▼ Experienced Users, I said it before and I'll say it again: If you want to access local media on your own server, you MUST get PLEX for Roku. With PLEX Channels you can access CBS shows, NBC shows, South Park Studios, The Daily Show, CW shows, SPIKE TV shows, ABC shows, PBS shows, Comedy Central videos, and tons of other content. With the PLEX Media Server on your PC, you can stream your video library in HD with multi-channel surround a LOT better than most XBMC devices handle it, and this includes fan art, movie sheets, and other bells & whistles. PLEX is well worth the small Roku app price, and the PC PLEX Media Server is free.

New cord-cutters and Cable TV refugees: When you step into the world of streaming video and step away from cable and terrestrial TV entirely, you have to get used to some changes in the way you watch things. Here's my quick guide:

▼ Subscribe to Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu Plus. Combined, they're still way cheaper than any cable bill.

▼ Put Crackle on your channel list. Free movies and TV shows. No subscription required.

▼ Use Plex to watch local media.

▼ Search YouTube for "full show" or "full movie" to get some extra content.

▼ Do not expect to see live sports when you're a cord cutter, unless you subscribe to MLBTV or other sports-related subscription services. You can always buy a nice antenna and view anything that the local network affiliates can broadcast.

▼ If you like old movies, there are tons of Roku channels that have FREE movies. Don't pay for a channel until you've exhausted your search of the free ones!

▼ For the kids, you can set up a Netflix Kids account, and there are plenty of kid-friendly and cartoon-loaded Roku channels.

▼ Roku Private Channels are channels that are not "officially" supported by Roku, but can be added by finding a code and entering it at the Roku website in your account settings. They give you other channel options in a wide variety of content.

▼ With that in mind: DO NOT PAY FOR ROKU PRIVATE CHANNEL LISTS!!! You may see them advertised on various sites (this one included!) and they are a SCAM. You can get a list of private channels by doing an Internet search for "Roku Private Channels" -- These lists people are selling are just compilations of the search results you can get for free. Don't be scammed.

▼ If you're going to turn off the TV for the night, make sure to hit the "Home", "Pause" or "Back" button on your Roku remote. Turning off the TV does not stop the show from streaming, and if you're in a channel/app that does automatic advance to the next episode, it will keep playing while the TV is off. This will use up some bandwidth from your ISP, and worse, it will cause you to lose your place in the episode progression! Note that you can pause a show and come back a day later, and you will not have used any additional electricity or bandwidth. Pausing is fine, but it's still better to just exit the show.

▼ You may not there's no "stop" button on the remote. That's because Roku has always considered the "back" button ( ← ) to be the "stop" function. Back will always take you back to the previous menu, which stops the video in the spot you were at. When you go back to it, most channels will let you resume from that position.

FINAL VERDICT, AND RECOMMENDATION
Assuming the Roku Streaming Stick is durable and holds up to the additional heat it creates, I'm calling this a 4-star device. You give up a few things going to the Stick from the standard Roku boxes (most notably the IR receiver), but you gain a few features, too, and you have a more compact device that allows you to reclaim some space in your entertainment center.

However, it's not perfect. It lacks that IR receiver, which is a MAJOR loss to owners of universal remotes and audio receivers. It does get hot, which may shorten its life. The smaller size doesn't make the Roku any more useful for travel because it lacks a web browser to accept hotel Terms & Conditions, and you'll still be falling back on your laptop, tablet, or smartphone sometimes. It doesn't support AV (Composite) connections at all (not a loss as far as I'm concerned; If you're still on equipment that requires composite cables, it's time for a new TV before you consider a streaming device).

So I'm whipping out FOUR STARS for the Roku Streaming Stick for HDMI. This would have been a five-star review if the Streaming Stick supported IR remotes, but I understand the small size probably makes that unlikely. Still, it's a loss that cripples the device slightly and makes it fall just short of being the best Roku device so far. Currently, that status remains with the Roku 3, but considering price, the Roku Streaming Stick is a good buy for the money for most people.

For those who do have older equipment, heat concerns, universal remotes, or who just don't need YouTube, the Roku 1 remains an excellent value, too. You really can't go wrong with either one.

3.0 out of 5 stars I want to give this five stars, but I can't. (UPDATED OCT-2014), March 29, 2014
PLEASE SEE MY SIX MONTH UPDATE AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS REVIEW

I want to give this five stars, but I can't. I pre-ordered this from Roku the day it was announced. It is pretty much exactly what I wanted, most of the features of the Roku 3 (which I LOVE), but in a small package that can be hidden behind the TV and powered by the USB port. You may know that Roku took an earlier stab at this with a device the required an MHL port (kind of a super HDMI port), this meant it only worked with some TV's and the device never took off.

I don't know if the very inexpensive Google Chromecast was the push that Roku needed to try to get the Roku Stick right, but sure enough they are back with a device very similar to the original stick but that uses USB and HDMI, instead of the MHL port. So far so good... It should work with any TV that has an HDMI port, but there is no Ethernet so make sure your Wi-Fi is solid.

I received this in the mail today and immediately started setting it up. This process took much too long compared with my setup of the Roku 3 a few months ago which was easy and FAST. I had some trouble getting the device to connect with the remote (I think it was confusing my Roku 3 remote and the newer Roku remote, I finally took the batteries out of the older remote to ensure they didn't stomp on each other).

With the remote connected, I moved onto Wi-Fi, it connected to the Wi-Fi but would not connect to the internet. After going through all sorts of attempts and settings, I decided to hotspot to my phone to see if that would work, and this allowed me to run the Roku updates and load in the channels. After the software update was complete, I connected back to my regular house Wi-Fi and all was well! So this must have been some kind of issue with the combination of the initial Roku Stick software and my network.

After the network was updated then it was on to setting up the individual accounts (Netflix, Amazon VOD, and iHeartRadio being the important ones for us). So I would love to know why Roku does not store the login information and transfer it to all of my devices? (UPDATE: In the comments to this review it was mentioned that Roku does not store ANY of your account information to protect your identity. This is plausible and likely true, but it would be nice if setting up a new device was simpler.)But no, you have to do this manually. Going through this process brought me to the thing that I am really worried about: the response of the remote sucks, it sticks, it lags, and sometimes you are waiting a long time for it to catch up with you. I cannot EVER recall waiting on the Roku 3, at least in regards to responding to commands from the remote.

The last concern I have is the size of the stick and it's fit in the TV. I didn't imagine this would be an issue, and hopefully it won't turn out to be, but when I installed it in the back of the TV, the fit was very tight and there was noticeable pressure put onto the USB cable and the HDMI connection. I am hopeful that this will not cause any issues going forward and I may look at moving it to a different HDMI port to see if there is a better fit, if you encounter this problem, you may want to look at getting a short HDMI extension to avoid putting undesirable pressure on the device.

The Good:
-Roku's software and interface are the best I have used, and this is exactly like the Roku 3
-Streaming quality seems to be very good thus far
-I've tested all the services we use, and though the setup was tedious everything works and the quality is excellent

The Bad:
-The installed software that needed immediate updating has issues
-Initial setup was NOT smooth (I have done this before, so it should have been!)
-Device response to the remote can lag a lot (this may be the thing that ruins the stick for me)

This device is BRAND NEW, so I am willing to be a little patient with Roku, hopefully as they roll out more updates in the next few weeks some of the issues will be worked out, the remote lag is a MUST fix. People will abandon a device that seems flaky (this is why I am getting rid of my Apple TV's). I am kind of surprised that all of the reviews so far have been almost completely positive, at this point I am a bit disappointed when comparing this to my Roku 3.

After a few weeks and hopefully some updates, I will revise this review, I am hopeful that I will be able to add more stars, but the jury is out on that until I have lived with the device for a while.

UPDATE: October 15, 2014 My Almost Six Month Update

I have not quite given up the device (we still use it all the time). However, if I were making this purchase now I would not buy the Roku Stick, I would buy another Roku 3. It turns out that the Roku Stick has a MUCH less powerful processor than what is in the Roku 3 (a device that is almost a year older). The specs were not released until after the device was on sale as far as I can tell. Were this device to have the power of the Roku 3 (maybe next year!) I would recommend it.

A few issues and work-arounds:

-Start-up is SLOOOOWWWWW. I initially had it powered by the USB port on my television. This meant waiting at least a minute from turn on time to watching a show. Way too long. What I have done instead is powered the Stick from a regular power outlet and the USB power supply. This means as soon as you turn on the TV it is ready to go.

-It has periodic crashes, mostly this just means it won't do anything. So at least weekly restarts are required. While many people are used to this these days it shouldn't be this way. I restart most of my computers at most once a month and often I go months between restarts. The Roku should be less fragile than it is (the Roku 3 IS less fragile).

-The Netflix app, in my opinion, is too demanding for this device. This is particularly noticeable when rewinding a video (at least at 1080p) which is essentially impossible. It just doesn't work. You lose control of the remote and the rewind just doesn't work. I am considering moving this to a 720p TV, it may work better with a smaller fire hose of video attached.

-Amazon VOD in contrast to Netflix works pretty well on the Roku Stick. I have far fewer issues with Amazon, so if that is your primary video source, maybe this isn't such a bad idea.

-I use this on a 1080p TV with a FAST connection to the internet. Once the video is playing, the quality of video and audio is EXCELLENT. It looks great, and once it is rolling everything is fine as long as you don't want to do a quick rewind (which won't work).

-I had an issue with the device not fitting well into an HDMI port. I switched it to a different port, fortunately my TV has several, and it fits fine there, in the comments several people mentioned that you can buy (and maybe request from Roku) a small HDMI extension cable if it will not fit in your TV. I didn't need to do that, but some people might need to do so.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst customer support! Do not buy Roku!, June 12, 2014
This review is from: Roku 3500R Streaming Stick (HDMI) (Electronics)
We own Roku 2 and Roku 3 boxes. I decided to try the new Roku stick for a guest TV and it did work for a few weeks. It seems that after that period of time something happened to the stick and started acting up, freezing, not loading apps, etc. Did the usual reboot, reset to factory, etc etc. I decided to call Roku after noticing that the Roku stick was getting very hot, it did not seem safe anymore. I spent over an hour with Roku support, they were very hard to understand, I had to ask them to switch me to another person and then to a supervisor because they initial level of tech support all they know how to do is reboot and reset the unit which I have already done. The supervisor was very rude and also was trying to just get me to reset the unit again, something I already did with the previous support person twice!. After explaining that something apparently went wrong with the device and needs to be returned to Roku to get it replaced/repaired, he still did not want to hear it and wanted to ask again about the brand of router I am using and what wireless channel it is set even after I explained that I already did the regular troubleshooting by myself and also with the second person in customer support. Every other device in my home connected to the router, which includes Roku 2 and Roku 3 players are working just fine, but he did not want to hear it. He started raising his voice and at that time I decided that was enough and asked for the unit to be replaced since we have gone around and around for too long.

I expected so much more from Roku. They need to learn from Amazon or even Apple support. In fact I even bought a WD streaming box 2 years ago and their support was top notch when I had to call and ask them how to connect it to an older TV. Maybe Roku is not spending enough on the customer support area.

Roku lost a good customer today, I will not purchase another Roku box and I will encourage everyone else that asks me to buy something else because this is not how a company should treat their customers if they want to stay in business.

5.0 out of 5 stars Roku Streaming Stick with New 55" Vizio . It's AWESOME!, March 31, 2014
This review is from: Roku 3500R Streaming Stick (HDMI) (Electronics)
I pre-ordered as soon as I heard about it. Waiting was agonizing, but to my surprise it came 2 days earlier than expected.

As soon as it arrived I ripped it out of the box, plugged it in and within minutes was adding apps and channels to watch.
Setting up my Netflix, Amazon, and M-GO accounts was a breeze. M-Go offered 2 free movies out of the gate, so I watched "Dallas Buyers Club" and will watch Hunger Games 2 tonight.

Picture quality is excellent. 1080p HD. Pause, stop, resume all work like a charm. Remote is very easy to use and intuitive. I should probably add that I have a 150mbps internet connection and my TV is about 5 feet from my ASUS RT-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router. With any wireless functionality, your connection speed and router will make or break it.

The Vizio apps that come with the TV are nice, and I also already had a Samsung Blue ray player with smart apps , but it cant compare to the free content choices on the Roku. I love tech news and reviews and there are plenty of networks/apps to choose from... c|net, Revision3, TechSmart, Twit, Tech Crunch, Blip TV and more.

You Tube, Live Stream and Ted are also favorites that I was previously tied to my desk or tablet to watch.

NBA game time, NHL Game Center, Watch ESPN, CBS Sports, are all free. MLB TV requires a subscription from MLB. There's also regional and collegiate sports content. MMA, WWE, UFC all have content apps.

There's also a lot of specialty content for Food and Cooking, Car Buffs, Conspiracy Theorist, Comedy, Old Movies, Classical Music and Jazz Concerts, and on and on. There is more free content, than paid content. However, you will likely want to get one or more of the Premium movie and content services like Amazon, M-Go, or Netflix.

Cable companies better wake up. This is what TV on demand should be. It's hard to beleive that access to all of this content is only $50 for the unit and that's it! If these were stations offered by my cable company I'd be paying at least an additional $80+ A MONTH, and would have to take a bunch of channels that I don't even want just to get the few that I do.

I can't say enough about it. If you are on the fence between this and Chromecast you'd be a fool to go for the limitations of the Chromecast instead. It can't even compare. Download the Roku app for Android or iOS and you can do all of that TV casting stuff from your mobile device to your TV that you see in the commercials, and run Roku using your phone or tablet as a remote and previewer.

Hands down, this is the best streaming device on the market to date and the best catalog of free content.

4.0 out of 5 stars USE THE PROVIDED POWER PLUG!, September 12, 2014
The Roku 3500R is a product I really wanted, found inexpensive, and MANY more channels than (say) my Chrome TV. I almost threw it against the wall and returned it broken (so no one else would have to suffer through it) before I realized it was GROTESQUELY underpowered by the USB port on the TV. It would random reset, snow between remote pushes, big lags, forever startups, and got very hot. The very hot was the final clue. Since I plugged it into the wall, it is stable and working. The buffering is infantile compared to Chrome TV or Apple TV, but it is more versatile than either of these devices.

1.0 out of 5 stars Day 1: Roku Streaming Stick / Day 7: Useless hot stick, September 1, 2014
This review is from: Roku 3500R Streaming Stick (HDMI) (Electronics)
Day 1-6: Worked perfect, loved it! Day 7: Started freezing, did a reboot and it was perfect again, well for a few hours anyway. This was also the day the stick became very hot! Just one week old and this was the cycle every few hours, Freeze, reboot, repeat. Day 8: It died, dead. Day 9: Returned it and got a full refund. Day 10: That's today and admittedly, while short, I miss the good old days with my Roku streaming stick. I'm currently researching and looking to find an upgraded replacement. I'll be relying a lot on reviews, which is why I wrote this one...don't waste your time or money on this useless hot stick!

1.0 out of 5 stars Buggy, June 20, 2014
B. Oneil (El Cerrito, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Roku 3500R Streaming Stick (HDMI) (Electronics)
Very simple. This is a buggy device. I have a Roku box on one TV and I thought the Streaming Stick would be even better in terms of setup and use. I was wrong. Buffering is terrible. I have lots of delays and interruptions, in comparison to my other Roku device, which almost never stalls, and uses the same network. The radio frequency controls work sporadically. Worst of all, the Stick loses its connection every other time and has to be reset. I have a feeling that some enhanced circuit is missing because of the small size of the Stick. In short, simply buy a Roku box. So what if it's a little larger? It works.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pure and Utter garbage., July 19, 2014
John Josey (California, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Roku 3500R Streaming Stick (HDMI) (Electronics)
I have purchased many items off Amazon over the years. Typically, I have not had any problems or complaints about the items I bought. This can not be said about the Roku Streaming Stick. I had intended to upgrade my Roku-2 to either a 3, or a streaming stick, which is half the price. I chose the stick. A very unfortunate and wrong decision for me. To make matters worse, by the time I was ready to send the streaming stick back, the 30 days were already over. (I had the stick for a little over a week when I had to go out of town for two weeks.) So that almost ate up all the time I had left to return it back to amazon. So now I am stuck with this piece of garbage. I will now give you a rundown of the problems I had experienced with the stick since it arrived:

First off, I plugged the stick into my Ethernet port and it fired right up. That was good. I was off and running quickly, and was happy with my decision to choose it, instead of the Roku-3. (A very short lived happiness) I then used the remote, and noticed a very big lag between when you push a button, and the response time. Very slow. My gaming systems and DVD systems respond quicker, and they are not even a dedicated video streaming device. And NOTHING compared to my old Roku-2, or even the original Roku I had purchased back in 2009. So the lag was obvious, but still, I was not too disappointed. At this point, I was standing directly in front of my TV, tinkering with the new gadget. When I got to my couch, I noticed that the remote only worked half the time. I would have to stand up and walk closer to the TV in order for the remote to "Find" the stick plugged into the back of my TV. My couch sits about ten feet from the TV, and I have never had any remote that had a problem "Finding" it's device within that distance. I also have many blue-tooth items, and every one is good within ten feet. (For anyone who does not know, the stick's remote is blue-tooth, not Infra Red, like the traditional remotes.)

So by the time I got back from my vacation, I had already had the stick for three weeks. The lag and the "Finding" issue were still there, but I tried to make the most of it. I had considered returning it, but I do not like going through the process of returning items unless I have a great amount of money invested into them. And 50 bucks is not worth the headache I would have to endure. So I dealt with it. Over time, the remote got more and more unresponsive. I had to get off the couch about 3/4 of the times to get the remote to work. Towards the end, I would have to unplug the stick from the TV, and reboot. When this did not fix the problem, I finally unplugged the stick for good and re-hooked up my old Roku-2.I still have the stick, but I will most likely give it away, or throw it in the garbage.

So there you have it. Roku has been in the video streaming business since around 2008 or 2009. I have purchased many Roku's for myself and for gifts. I love the products and have been very trusting with the Roku name. But this streaming stick is total garbage. I can not understand why Roku would ever manufacture something so terrible. Maybe I got a defect, who knows. If I had the whole 30 days to experience the glitches, I might have sucked it up took it back. But I was out of town for half the window of opportunity for a return. I was also optimistic and hopeful that some software update would come along and fix all my problems. So far that has not been the case. So that's my review of the Roku Streaming Stick. I hope this review is helpful, and I thank you for your time in reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bit slower than Roku3 box, but great for wireless tv, April 6, 2014
This review is from: Roku 3500R Streaming Stick (HDMI) (Electronics)
I paired the Roku stick with a Samsung UN19F4000 19-Inch LED TV mounted in front of my treadmill and for a wireless system it works great. Currently the stick is powered off the USB port on the side of the TV (see picture) and seems to be working fine. I tested the stick for about half an hour with Netflix and Amazon Prime. The stick unexpectedly reset once after the Roku system update and after setting up Netflix, but after that blip it worked as expected, streaming movies were smooth and the picture and sound quality was good. I should note it's in the same room as my wireless router so I didn't have to deal with any signal issues.

I also own the Roku 3 box for my plasma TV and the Roku 3 is more responsive, which isn't surprising as the stick is powered off a USB port and you wouldn't expect a high end processor. I'm impressed it has enough juice to render HD video and audio.

Roku 3500R Streaming Stick (HDMI)
$49.99 $49.00