5.0 out of 5 stars Lets you watch TV or movies, cut your cable (maybe)
Published 12 months ago by Joanna Daneman

1.0 out of 5 stars Do Not Buy This Device
I love the idea of the Roku and the interface isn't too bad, but this particular model is no good at all. I've ordered a Roku 3 and I'm hoping it solves most of the problems this device has which are:

Published 12 months ago by ThunderHammer

5.0 out of 5 stars Lets you watch TV or movies, cut your cable (maybe), December 16, 2013
This review is from: Roku LT Streaming Media Player (Electronics)
This little box is the size of two packs of playing cards and it hooks into your TV either via the HDMI port (on HD TV's) or it can be connected to older TV's by the three-plug colored cord (red, yellow, white) that hooks up the video and audio. (HDMI carries both the video and audio signal together.) The Roku works on your home WiFi system, picking up your internet service and any subscriptions you may have such as Netflix or Amazon Prime and you can watch TV shows or films or other features.

Setup is extremely easy. You need your WiFi key (the code that plugs you into your wireless network) and it pretty much goes in a few minutes. You also may need the passwords to any video online services you have. It's not entirely easy, but you can add Youtube (via Videobuzz. It's not straightforward, but I got it to work following the instructions on Videobuzz.)

There are four different versions of Roku out at this time. This one is the base model and it lacks the ability to play 1080p HD video, which may or may not be available to you from your cable provider or because the speed of your internet connection can't handle it.

This version also lacks a headphone jack on the remote (have to move to the Roku 2 for that) and if you and your family are enthusiastic gamers, there is a Roku 3 version more suited to gaming, with Dual-band wireless, motion control for games and a --much faster (5 times) processor as well as ethernet, a USB slot and a microSD card slot. For families who game, the LT Roku is NOT best choice. However, the Roku 3 only handles HDTV, so if you use an older analog TV, the Roku 3 is not for you. The Roku LT does NOT come with Angry Birds--so if that is important, you'd move up to the Roku 2, at least.

Cutting your Cable: Depending on which channels you purchase, you could conceivably stop or reduce your cable bill, especially if your area has the basic local channels for a "small fee" (It used to be free, but as of last year, many services started scrambling even the basic, requiring a box and rental. This varies by area, so ask around.) If you only watch regular channels plus movies, a Netflix or Prime subscription is about one month of average cable service, and if you can pick up channels by air with a FlatWave HDTV Indoor Digital Flat Antenna you might be able to cut the cable completely. That could add up to quite a lot.

**Note: A good question: Can you can run more than one TV on one Roku box? As far as I know, you need one box per television set. However, moving from one TV to another is fairly simple; leave an HDMI cable or the 3-plug cable attached to each TV, unplug the Roku from the current cable and the wall socket and carry it to your other set. (It is not a big device as I said--size of two decks of cards.) You can run two TV's at a time with a box for each TV, but some channels may not let you log in as the same user on two devices at a time.

Things you need: HDMI cable or cables, subscription to a service such a Prime or Netflix or Hulu Plus. There are a number of free channels but the content may not be what you want. A box for each TV unless you intend to move it around from set to set.

5.0 out of 5 stars Screw Cable Get A ROKU!!, December 16, 2013
This review is from: Roku LT Streaming Media Player (Electronics)
I got my first Roku in 2009 and fell in love right away. I got my second box in 2013 and I fell even more in love with all the new features! My favorite new feature is the search feature. I love that you can simply enter a actor, director, TV show or movie and it will search all the channels and show you where you can watch that show or actor. There are many FREE channels like Crackle that offer great TV and Movies but there are many channels that require a fee like Netflix or Hulu Plus. I am paying less than $20 a month for a couple of channels and I can pretty much watch any currently airing TV show I want. Beats paying $129 a month for cable like I was!!

5.0 out of 5 stars So wonderful I'm, December 16, 2013
This review is from: Roku LT Streaming Media Player (Electronics)
buying another one today for the bedroom TV. I'm an older woman and I was worried about the whole setup thing. HA! Easy peasy and works great. Nice to be watching Netflix on my TV... :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Save money - save money - save money, December 17, 2013
JJ (Home Sweet home) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Roku LT Streaming Media Player (Electronics)
We recently got rid of a car that was delivering our family to various places at the rate of 20 miles to the gallon...bought a Prius 51 mpg. We cut wood and heat our home with it... we grow a garden and eat out of it and my husband fills the freezer with wild game and fish... so you see we are all about not spending our money when we can.

We cancelled cable and went to a roof top local reception ... I was amazed at how much I did not miss it... but I noticed the $120 a month right away.

Enter the Roku ... I was blown away at how easy it was to set up... since we have Amazon prime we suddenly have access to thousands of free movies, TV programs(without commercials) plus the ability to rent a movie fro netflix (which I never have done)...

For me I love the books off of Amazon and have been a kindle user for years... with Amazon Prime I can read an unlimited number of books for not only myself but my grand kids as well... my husband just bought me a new Kindle fire which also used the Amazon prime membership... If you do not know or understand what a value Amazon prime is your losing money... it is just Amazing... and the Roku fits right in our little money saving family. That kindle fire fits into the money saving plan... plus it becomes a very portable TV for the grand kids watch a movie from Amazon Prime... Roku and Amazon Prime where made for each other and toss in a Kindle fire HD and you will be amazed at how much of you pay for is actually FREE.

My husband likes it because he can take it on the road with us and many places offer free wireless so it is a simple thing to log into the wireless service and watch what ever movie or TV program we want to watch, when we want to watch it and not be tied to the cable crap that is offered...we have tried cable and satelite services and be it at home or on the road this Roku is a far better choice for entertaining... it saves us thousands in not paying for cable or renting movies... or going out to movies...extra money and more choices is a very good thing.

We are semi-retired and in our 60's we want to enjoy our retirement as much as we can... using the Roku on the road helps... be it in our 1969 Airstream (fully renovated by my husband) or at a hotel with wireless has been a really nice added bonus...

Honestly I do not miss the cable service and their limited crap movies and endless shopping channels...it always made me mad that we were paying a cable fee to be advertised to... doesn't just boil your blood?

One final thing my husband enjoys watch college football (go figure) not sure how he does it but he has found some free sports channels that he has dialed in don't ask me how he has done it but snoop around and I am pretty sure you can figure it out...

OK one more thing we paid $48.11 for our Roku LT I saw last night it was being sold for $39... so I bought our second one to pair with our other TV... no more moving it around... what a deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Roku LT works great!, January 15, 2014
This review is from: Roku LT Streaming Media Player (Electronics)
I purchased this device to connect to a 11 year old television with RCA connectors. It was easy to set-up and use. I have no complaints because it works flawlessly.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do Not Buy This Device, December 27, 2013
This review is from: Roku LT Streaming Media Player (Electronics)

- It's crazy slow. If you look at the device comparison chart it says that the Roku 3 has a 5x faster processor. That sounds about right, because the Roku LT is at least 1/5th as fast as a device needs to be to be usable. It is excruciating to use.

- It's buggy. It worked for 5 days and then the wireless stopped working and started reporting a MAC address of 00:00:00:00:00:00. There is a Roku forum thread discussing this issue that goes back to April of 2010.

- Poor thermal design - it overheats and shuts down.

- Not enough buttons on the remote. I understand the desire for Apple-like simplicity, but I bought this mostly to watch Aereo, and there aren't enough buttons for one of them to mean "change channel" within the Aereo app. (Aereo is a virtual antenna/DVR)

My advice: if you're going to buy a Roku, don't buy this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars How could you not LOVE the ROKU, have 2 currently considering a 3rd, December 16, 2013
This review is from: Roku LT Streaming Media Player (Electronics)
I have 2 Roku's, love them, used to use the WII to play Netflix, wow what a difference. Even tried using my smart TV software and Samsung's high end Blu-ray player. None of them even come close to being as easy and fun to use. The big difference is just how fast and simple it is, the Wii was painful. My 3 kids age 6, 9 and 12 even prefer the Roku over the Wii, Samsung player and smart TV app. I have purchased 2 of the Roku 2 units for family members last Christmas as a long shot, trying to get something for the person who has everything, so far both love them. I was even told they are wanting to add another one in the home. I have a 3mb internet connection and I'm amazed at how well the device adjust to the low band width. As it gets more band width it increases the video quality automatically with no user interaction in a very smooth and painless transition hardly noticeable to the viewer. Great device I would not hesitate to buy one. If you have a very fast connection you will be amazed at how nice it works.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great device even without 1080p hd playback, December 16, 2013
This review is from: Roku LT Streaming Media Player (Electronics)
This is a fantastic device and it does exactly what it says it should do.

The biggest negative to reviewers here and other places is that this device does not support hd 1080p. This is definitely a negative when dealing with the Roku family of products but the device still does what it says it can do.

This item is a way to cheaply and easily stream content you are paying for such as netflix and amazon prime subscriptions. People seem to also dislike this item because it does not provide endless high quality free content. From what I have seen Roku hasn't made a habit of misrepresenting itself.

Anyway, if you know what you are getting this is a great product. A roku used to cost over a hundred dollars and finding one under fourth dollars is great. You don't need all of the bells and whistles.

If you are in the market for a device this is great. I have heard that getting a chromecast is a comparable item but I have never used one so I am affraid to make comparisons here.

I think the current review here is a bit too low. Enjoy this product if you need something like this.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great deal, but with limitations, April 5, 2014
This review is from: Roku LT Streaming Media Player (Electronics)
I picked up the basic Roku LT for only $37 during a lightening deal. You betcha I think it was worth every penny. We had given up our cable over a year ago, but missed being to access some of our favorite shows like The Colbert Report, The Daily Show, and programming on PBS Kids. The Roku LT delivered on that. But it has its drawbacks.

The Roku LT currently sells for more than we paid so I'm not sure if it's still worth it. Amazon just released their Fire for about double the price. So what are you sacrificing if you get the Roku LT?

1080 definition (Roku LT is 720)
Access to Youtube (why this isn't possible just seems odd)
Quickly and easily finding programs (Fire is via voice search, the LT you have to scroll using the remote)
Faster system overall

If you're on a tight budget, don't care about youtube (we did!), and don't have a 1080p TV then the Roku LT might be a good deal, especially if they have another lightening deal. Otherwise, spend a little more and get quite a bit, if not for the Fire then the Roku 3.

UPDATE: 7/16/2014

Basic Roku now has youtube access. Haven't fully explored it yet, but it feels at first cumbersome and hard to use, especially with the scrolling function.

1.0 out of 5 stars A Waste of Money, March 20, 2014
John Redmond (Teaneck, New Jersey United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Roku LT Streaming Media Player (Electronics)
Had the stupid unit for 4 months, then it dropped my IP address with no means to correct it. A 3 hour chat experience with Roku reps got me the news that I had a defective unit, and my Screw-u unit was past warranty.

Roku LT Streaming Media Player