Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Women's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now bgg

on November 24, 2012
OK. Let me start off by saying that this is a great option to replace cable if you're not stuck on HBO, STARZ, Cinemax or any of those other channels programs that you get on cable. The selection of channels is very good but they could use some more current mainstream channels. You can get news channels (e.g. CNBC, Fox News), several music video channels, Discovery Channel programs, Hulu, Netflix, Crackle, VUDU, cooking channels, sports channels, foreign programming and news, Spanish channels, DISH, medical awareness channels, exercise channels, yoga channels, old time classic movies and TV shows (e.g. Bonanza, I Love Lucy, the 3 Stooges, the Lone Ranger, Tarzan, Adult Swim, Family Guy episodes and lots of stuff your kids never heard off), old, corny horror flicks, midnight programming, science related channels, educational channels, games, pretty much whatever floats your boat.

Mine also came with Angry Birds and a Roku game remote (just one unit with extra buttons, do not expect two remotes). The lack of Youtube on this device will limit you if you like Youtube on a TV screen or use it for exercise videos; other devices have Youtube, this one does not, for now.

Amazon shipped relatively fast; the package was well protected and the connections were very easy. This refurbished product worked right out of the box and was up and running in minutes, no issues so far. Remember, that you should use an HDMI cable for the best reception but your other video connections should work as well as other devices that you currently use.

The web account set up was easy and you must use the internet account to set up and activate your device. You can pick your channels from the internet or your device. You need a credit card to set up Hulu, VUDU, Netflix and other subscription-based channels. At $8 a month unlimited viewing for most of these (individually, not aggregate), or at $0.99 to $5.99 for movie rentals on some other channels (more recent movie releases), you will definitely save when compared to your cable bill.

I gave it 4 stars because instructions and channel selection guidance is very limited. You need to figure out how to do a few things and how to get channels that do not appear on the Roku Channel store. The Channel Store is a very useful tool and for most people has an adequate enough selection that you may get excited when you first start digging through the selections. However, that being said, there are other channels that do not appear there that you have to find on your own. My suggestion is to just use Google to find more content. But I really think that Roku should clarify this in their materials and point out some things that those of us that want customer service and are computer or technology savvy expect from a manufacturer. It almost seems like Roku said "Hey we give you access to enough content so you figure out how to get the channels that you want."

All in all, a very good purchase and you do get your money's worth. Good luck.
on March 9, 2013
I've tried both Roku and Appletv both are good, and roku has the most streaming sources / channels available at up to 40% less cost than the appletv. If you are not a big gamer then the Roku 2 XD is a great choice at $20 less than the Roku 2 XDS. I have both, the XD was the best value for me. I've run a refurbishment business before and most refurbished products are at least equivalent to new. I rarely buy new anymore, it would be like buying a new car then the minute you drive it off the lot it is worth 10% less.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 30, 2013
Very pleased with this unit - looks and works like brand new. The only difference I could find with the refurb unit was the plain brown box it came in, as opposed to the color retail box on the new units. They also include an HDMI cable with the refurb units too, that doesn't come with the new units. Set-up is super easy and fast using your wireless router and easy 1-cable connection to the HDMI port on your TV. So far it has worked perfectly. I first added a $35 outside antenna to pick-up all my local Over The Air (OTA) free-TV channels broadcasting in 720p and 1080i HD resolution- 49 here in the Tampa Bay area. And I'm so glad I dumped satellite and went with this instead. Between Netflix, Amazon Prime, Pandora for music and all the free (and growing) choices, there is much much more than I could have ever expected; using this as an online, on-demand library for shows, movies and music!! I'm still finding more channels/choice everytime I do a search. Completely blows away cable and satellite at less than 1/5th the cost or less - truly amazing whats available today and so glad we have these choices. Thanks Roku and Ama-zoney for giving me more than I could have ever imagined and saving me some serious coin both on the purchase and month after month for years to come!!
on October 3, 2013
I've had the Roku 2 XD for a few days now. Set up was very easy. You'll need to set up an account with Roku online in order to activate the unit. From there you can also set up your channels if you wish. We have an Amazon Prime account and so could set up the Amazon Instant Video channel.

We also subscribe to HBO. I dropped a star because I cannot set up the HBO Go channel. I wasn't aware prior to purchasing the Roku 2 XD that in order to use the HBO Go channel, your cable TV provider has to allow the Roku HBO Go activation. We use DirecTv. I went to the HBO Go activation page, put in the Roku device and then I was given a list of cable providers. I scrolled through the list and didn't see DirecTv. I was given the "more" option but there again no DirecTv. So no HBO Go for us.

The other channels that are offered by Roku are varied. Know what you want and look to see on Roku online whether or not it's available. Many of the channels are subscription based. That's why Roku insists on a credit card number when you set up your account.

In short I do not regret the purchase. I should have gone to their website and investigated the channel requirements more thoroughly.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 14, 2014
I was leery of buying a refurbished unit until I saw that it had a warranty. When it didn't work correctly, Roku told me that I would be receiving a replacement in 3 - 7 business days. The confirmation email that they sent me said that I would need to return the old unit at my cost before they would send the replacement. I called and asked if they understood the concept of a warranty. I finally got them to send me a prepaid shipping label, but they made it very clear that this was a one-time courtesy. Don't waste your time and raise your blood pressure. Skip the refurb.
on February 10, 2013
The remote isn't the greatest, but here's a secret--Download an app for your smart phone, like Rokumoto for Windows Phone 7, and it greatly expands the functionality of your Roku Player.

The only thing about this, and it is a huge negative- is that Youtube is not available. Once Youtube is available, I will gladly give it 5 stars.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 28, 2012
Roku is the #1 add on tv box for adding entertainment choices to your viewing pleasure. The XS model has more hookup flexability but this is 1080p and wireless which is what 95% of people need. You can add or delete your preferred programs like Amazon, Hulu Plus, Netflix, crackle, sports, weather, news, etc. It works like a high end smart tv.
on November 29, 2013
Have owned this for about a year or so. Works flawlessly and has much more content than I have time to watch. Content management is well designed and fast. The WIFI chipset is of very high quality, with little to no collisions while streaming media. I have recommended this product to numerous friends. Well done Roku.
on September 9, 2013
I got this primarily to stream Amazon Prime to a TV that doesn't have a compatible BR player and I feel no need to upgrade that player. As a bonus I now have access to PBS Kids and Disney Channel for my little ones, though Disney Channel makes you watch a commercial between features, which if you are doing a playlist of short cartoons it seems to go amongst about 3 ads, so very annoying for adults but kids don't care. Very easy to set up.

- They make you provide a credit card to register. You can delete the credit card right after creating your account, but I don't like the idea of having to provide it.
- Roku doesn't list on their website what most apps cost. I think if you scroll around on the box you can see
- I tried to set up favorite channels on the computer, but they didn't get sent to the box so I had to do it again

Overall, this is an inexpensive option to stream Amazon Prime if you don't need a new BR player. If everything you watch on TV is on Prime, Netflix and Hulu Plus you could cut your cable cord. There are options to buy MLB and NHL passes, but if you are an NBA or NFL fan, you might still want cable for that. And honestly sports is the only reason we still have cable.
on December 26, 2012
I got this because I don't want to pay for cable, and it has given me a good alternative for watching television.