5.0 out of 5 stars Best Roku yet--faster interface, great for gaming
The Roku 3 has an updated processor, built-in headphone jack, handles streaming better and is the choice if you have HDTV and like gaming.

There are some enhancements compared to the version 2 and the LT (the low-end Roku, same as the HD in case you are confused.)

Published 6 months ago by Joanna Daneman

3.0 out of 5 stars Refurbished Roku 3 Packaged With Wrong Power Supply
The bonus HDMI cable was a nice touch, but it helps if Roku also packages a power supply with their "factory refurbished to new operating condition" unit that fits. Mine came with a Roku 2 power supply, which has a larger connector than the Roku 3 unit. I guess Roku didn't bother to actually try and operate the Roku 3 unit using the packaged power supply...
Published 6 months ago by esnc

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Roku yet--faster interface, great for gaming, December 30, 2013
This review is from: Roku 3 Streaming Media Player Bundle with High-Speed HDMI Cable (6 Feet / 1.8 meters) (Electronics)

1. When you bring up the Roku homepage on your TV, you will see nine channels laid out, for easy navigation. The menu scrolls faster, without that annoying lag between clicks. However, the remote doesn't have the 4 "speed buttons" for Netflix and Amazon, etc. Older Roku don't either, may not be a big deal to you.
2. Scrolling through channels is faster with more channels showing per click. If you subscribe to a lot of channels (and there are hundreds) this is going to save you time and frustration
3. The channel store is now in the left-banner menu (where you select Your Watchlist, Recently Watched) so is easy to scroll through to find new channels.
4. The lower-end remotes (LT, HD) do not have a headphone jack, for quiet watching. That is also why there is a leash on the remote--you can hang it around your neck and wear earbuds.
5. There is a full complement of ports: Ethernet, HDMI, microSD card slot and a SB port as well. Note that for people who want to connect directly to internet without WiFi, you need the Ethernet port. This is NOT available on the LT or HD. The Roku 2 does have it.
6. The5X faster processor makes this the choice for gaming as well as streaming video.
7. The Roku box is sleeker looking (more rounded, more expensive-looking, and weighs almost twice as much--which makes it more stable on the TV stand. You can hang it behind the TV if you want--separate Roku mount. The remote will still work as it is WiFi Direct. There is still an IR interface, for universal remotes. I find the IR (which I use) is somewhat weak.
8. The remote also has an A and B button to play downloaded (NOT cloud-based) games. Motion control for games like "Angry Birds Space," employ both button and arm movement to fling birds at the pigs.

Things You Should Know:

No analog-out port, so this is not your choice for using with older TV's connected via the RCA cable (the one plug out to the three plugs, yellow, white and red.)

Many channels are for-pay (Netflix, Amazon Prime) so you may find free channels but a lot of the content you want requires a subscription.

Your internet connection may not see the difference betwee 720p and 1080p. You may see the difference if you load videos from the USB port, say from a thumb drive. You have to download an app to install to use this feature, however.

Which Roku?

If you need analog, this is not the correct Roku, you need a 2. If you want to save money, the refurbed unit comes with an HDMI cable (which you need) and is thus can be a good deal--but shop around. I've seen the price vary by more than ten percent. If you game, this is a good choice.

3.0 out of 5 stars Refurbished Roku 3 Packaged With Wrong Power Supply, January 3, 2014

Dead in the water upon arrival should merit one star, but I've edited this review and increased the rating to 3 stars based on Otter Creek Trading's outstanding five star plus customer service. Otter Creek Trading personally contacted me, handled everything with zero inconvenience, and had a new power supply in my hands the next business day! Wow! These guys took the risk out of ordering a refurbished unit and made it right fast.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks New!!, January 9, 2014
We bought a new Roku 3 from Amazon back in December and LOVE it! So we wanted a 2nd one for another room, thus we went with this refurbished unit that included a HDMI cable! It appears brand new. The batteries were out of the shrink wrap, but no surprise there as it is a refurbished unit, and it came in a plain cardboard box, but otherwise it contained all the same items as my previously purchased brand new unit

1 reason why I went with refurbished is that thanks to my research, I found out other people do NOT do their own research on the Roku or similar players like it. Many think they are getting a lot of free programming, which is somewhat true, but its not the stuff most want to watch, such as Netflix, HULU, HBO, etc you still have to pay for those services. So those that don't do the research get all upset, leave bad reviews and return them, thus saving $$$ for us other people. Very happy with this purchase and it arrived in very timely manner! 2 thumbs up

5.0 out of 5 stars Roku 3 Streaming Media Player w/Free HDMI Cable, January 19, 2014
I wasn't sure about the purchase of a refurbished Roku 3 unit, but as some people say "Refurbs. are tested twice" and that sounds like a plus to me. The unit was easy to set up and receives over 1,000 plus channels many of which are free. I can't do that with a smart TV or any of the other streaming media players that I know of. I am very happy with my purchase and am going to purchase several more for family members. BTW, some people have made negative reviews regarding dead remote batteries, when in fact all they need to do is to follow the remote pairing instruction which is very easy to do. I did mine in a few minutes. So before you return it, just read the simple pairing instruction.
Did I say I am totally happy with my purchase? :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT BUY!!, February 26, 2014
Let me first say that I have been a Roku user for a number of years now, and own a Roku 1 XD, XDS, and a Roku 2 XS. I have also owned and used in the past the Logitech Review using GoogleTV, the last two non-Google TV Sony boxes, and two generations of the WD TV Live streamers. After owning and using all those, the Roku is the only one that has a place in my livingroom, and here's why...

Without boring everyone on the specs of the R's, let me start by telling about my experience setting it up.

Once unpacked one simply plugs the power adapter into the wall and an HDMI cable into the TV and the Roku, that's it. The unit begins booting up then asks you to select whether you want to use a wireless or wired network connection. I selected wireless and it then shows a list of the networks it detected. Once you choose your network you input the password for your network and in a few seconds it connects right away.

Finally it displays an activation code which you are to use to activate and attach the Roku to your online Roku account. For some seeking out a computer that may or may not be near the TV might be a pain, but I simply opened Safari on my iPhone and added the code to my account while sitting in front of the TV.

Once the code is entered, as part of the attaching process you are prompted to add payment info just in case you want to buy a channel or game in the future. You can not bypass this but IT'S OK. Enter it in and finish the account set up. Once you do you can simply choose to delete the payment info and it's erased from the Roku servers.

Once the account is made and successfully linked, the Roku automatically downloads the channels from your account (if you are attaching it to an existing account) or just quickly downloads the few selected during the account creation process, including "Angry Birds Space".

That's it, its that easy to get it set and ready to stream. Of course with some premium channels you will either need to log in to your account from the Roku (Netflix) or similarly link the box to your online account using a computer, smartphone, or tablet browser (Amazon Instant Video).

I have found that the set up is incredibly easy over the numerous boxes I've used over the last few years and always recommend a Roku to especially those less adept at setting up electronics/computers/networking items.

The interface--

The interface of the Roku units has always been a sore point.. When it started out with just Netflix and then just a few channels, the horizontal row of channel icons was fine, but now with HUNDREDS of channels it was sorely needing a refresh. The interface alone was one of the biggest reasons I was always trying different streaming boxes..

I'm so pleased to see the new grid-style interface on the R3. Not only is it beautifully rendered, but it is very, very fast to navigate and to find whatever it is you want in your channel list. Very modern-looking and functional.

One huge thing I notice over the older units in the interface is that besides it being "pretty", even the channels load much faster than previous units thanks to a new processor.

The universal search function is great too, allowing you to search for movies, shows, and even actors across the major providers.

The USB port--

USB functionality is a great add-on for the top tier Roku. The Roku units are first and foremost internet streamers, but the convenience of plugging in a thumb drive and being able to play some of my personal movie collection is great. Video format is rather limited, but again this is an add-on feature not a main selling point. Because I'm an iTunes user, I rip all my movies/shows as H.264 MP4 files because thy are iPhone/iPad compatible, and just so happen they are compatible with Roku as well. Very nice.

Programming----

This is where Roku is just second to none, and why I choose to use it over all the others. Besides the big players like Netflix, Vudu, etc. Roku has such a wealth of programming that I actually hate it. I hate the fact I'm not independently wealthy and have to work for a living, and consequently don't have enough time in the day to watch everything on there I want to. You may very well feel the same way, but not to worry.. Unlike broadcast TV, everything on Roku is on-demand, meaning its there when you want it, not when its being broadcast.

Now sure, there's no YouTube. That might or might not be coming so if you get one, just assume you won't have it. Cute little kitty videos are fun to watch on the TV, but there's tons more you can watch on other channels. I love the fact I can get live streaming news from the BBC or CNN International, or watch cheesy, badly dubbed Kung fu movies, or B-movie horror and sci-fi all night long for free from my Roku if I want lol. The Roku's available programming really is like a buffet, its all you can eat and there's something for everybody.

The remote ---

The remote is very comfortable in the hands and acts as a motion-controlled controller for gaming. It it also isn't infared like a traditional remote so that means it doesn't have to be pointed right at the TV in order to work. The private listening mode worked really nicely when I tried it and I can imagine many uses for it.

Overall the Roku 3 is a great upgrade from the previous Roku 2, mostly because of the new UI (which will be coming to the roku 2 units in a month or two), the faster processor, and the wireless private listening mode. If you already have an R2 XS, I don't honestly think its worth upgrading since its biggest noticeable feature (the UI) will come in time.

For some just now dipping their toes in the world of internet streaming, I personally would get this Roku 3 hands-down over any other competing player on the market. Its so easy to use and that's why not only is it what I use but what my elderly parents use too. The best thing about them is they keep getting better.

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY!!!, January 7, 2014
Toby (Denver CO) - See all my reviews
I got the unit today. Batteries sent for remote dead. No HDMI cable included as advertised. Once I get player up and running per instructions, it just keeps rebooting. It took 3 tries to link it to my new Roku account because the darn thing would reset every time before it got activated. I thought I was home free on the linking on try 3, but then when I go to Netflix app to sign in to my account, it times out and reboots before I can even get my email account entered, and I type very fast! What a piece of s***. I tried linking to the chat help in ROKU's website which also keeps freezing then resetting me to the back of the line, 44 people always in front of me. SO looks like I'm sending this piece back to Amazon. I went in to settings too to see if I could lengthen the time it goes into reboot mode, I figured it might be a power saving feature of some kind. No, it appears it's just defective. This was advertised as a refurb which means someone already sent it back, so I guess that means their testing procedure is as defective as the device itself. What a waste of time and money. Hopefully Amazon reimburses.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought Two, dumped DirectTV, February 20, 2014
Love Roku 3. All programming is streamed over the internet, and mostly on demand; you watch what you want when you want and can pause or stop or return and watch picking up where you left off. Great for busy homes where interruptions would have caused you to have missed part of the programming. There is ample programming to watch so that you can watch a lot of the current and past TV series, movies or listen to even radio programming. Just save the channels you want and then select them from your menu.

Caution though as some of the advertised programming may require subscriptions, such as Amazon Prime, Hulu, Movie channels or others.

Additonally, for Live broadcasts I highly RECOMMEND consideration of purchasing the "AmazonBasics Extreme Performance Ultra Thin Amplified Indoor HDTV Antenna - Designed and Assembled in USA by AmazonBasics". With this antenna we get more channels locally than with either the DirectTV or Roadrunner packages for local programming!!!

Dump your Roadrunner, DirectTV, pay-per-view - it is for the most part re-runs anyway.

02-22-2014 Update: Wife loves, son loves it, family and friends have ordered three after seeing a demonstration this past week, and I placed another order for one more Roku 3 as a gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars I got taller and better looking, February 20, 2014
This device is so good it changed my life. I got taller and better looking and my kids got smarter and my dogs listen to what I say now. Thanks Roku

1.0 out of 5 stars ROKU, February 15, 2014
Haven't been able to program. Mydlink password that the ROKU asks for can't be retrieved yet! Had one tech ask for $199.00 so I'm still trying

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent addition to television entertainment, February 8, 2014
Easy to set up and operate, this little box gives you the choice of streaming movies and television via WiFi to your television. Some are subscription and some are free. If you have Amazon Prime, you can access thousands of movies for free.

Rate and Discover Movies