2,193 Reviews
 (1,504)

1,181 of 1,213 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Great media player - excellent value but not perfect
Published on October 19, 2012 by Arbitrage

I bought one of these for my parents to use on their analog TV because I liked the one I had several years ago. Since then, Roku has started to require you to provide a credit card number in order to set up and use the box you just bought.

Published 22 months ago by Dirk B. Gifford

1,181 of 1,213 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Great media player - excellent value but not perfect, October 19, 2012
This review is from: Roku LT Streaming Player (Old Version) (Electronics)
I bought this Roku LT after looking at the various options - all the Roku models, Apple TV, and other streaming media boxes. I ultimately decided on the Roku LT because it was the best value, offered a wide range of channel choices, and seemed intuitive and easy to operate. It isn't perfect - the UI could be improved and it doesn't have all the content available - but it is a great starter product for anyone looking into the streaming media world and even if you don't have tech experience its a cinch to set up.

Actual product:

The Roku LT is small, light, and simple. It comes with a basic remote, though I will note that mine had the three "app buttons" for Pandora, Netflix, and Crackle - the remote in the picture didn't show that. It is purple but not bright, so you won't notice it too much after you set it up. It feels a bit cheaper in build quality terms than the Apple TV - especially the remote - but I don't think that's a significant factor and I have no worries about the Roku LT breaking.

Setup:

Very easy. Plugged it in, registered the device via my laptop, and connected to my WiFi network. You will need a Wifi network to use Roku LT, as there is no ethernet jack.

User Interface (UI):

Good, but a lot of room for improvement. It isn't difficult to figure out, but it has the feeling of a system that was designed a few years ago. Even in the stock apps there are little quirks like where the selector is placed, how the info box always pops up and blocks other movie titles, etc. Small things generally and I don't want to say that its difficult to figure out at all - on the whole, it is intuitive and clear. But if you do a side by side comparison to the Apple TV, the difference is clear - Apple made the UI a priority and the experience is excellent, whereas Roku didn't. It almost feels like a beta version. This could be updated in the future though, so I'll reword this if it changes.

Content:

Great - has Amazon Instant, Hulu+, Netflix, and more. Those mentioned are all subscription but there are plenty of free apps/channels - BBC World News, PBS, Smithsonian, NBC, etc. There are also a variety of free "private" channels that don't show up in the main store, but you can add them via your computer. Just google Roku free private channels and plenty of lists show up.

This flexibility in content was a main reason I bought the Roku LT over the Apple TV. Apple TV is locked - it determines when new apps come on, and until then you're stuck with what they give you, which is somewhat limited. For most people it probably doesn't matter, but this is a significant difference between the two products.

Comparison to other models:

Roku offers a handful of models and their naming and differentiation is somewhat confusing. The Roku LT does 720p HD (which is more than enough for most, though if you have a 40"+ TV then you might want 1080p which is supported by Roku XD or XS) though you'll have to have a HDMI cable to get true HD quality. It basically does everything the Roku HD model does - only difference is the color. If you want an ethernet port, a remote that allows you to play games, or the best HD (1080p) then you'll have to get the Roku XD or XS, but otherwise do the LT - there's no reason to pay almost double if you don't need those things.

Compared to Apple TV, its tough to say which is better. It all depends on if you're a heavy Apple user (iPhone, iPad, etc.) because if so, then the Apple TV has some pretty awesome feature (AirPlay) and your songs, videos, and everything else will sync immediately to the device. And let's face it, Apple designs better UI's! Their experience is unparalleled. But, its 2x as much as the Roku LT AND Apple limits the content so if you're not a hardcore Apple user and on a budget, Roku is the way to go.

Other companies make similar products but through my research, I couldn't find any that really offered the same simplicity, price point, and content. While there may be better products for niche groups of consumers, the Roku LT should serve almost everyone well!

Hope that you enjoyed the review - I've added a few pictures to the customer images sections and feel free to ask me any questions about the device!

5.0 out of 5 stars This Thing is Great!!!, September 15, 2012
Dennis (Virginia, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Roku LT Streaming Player (Old Version) (Electronics)
I don't know why some people complain about their Roku being hard to set up. Five minutes out of the box and I had Netflix and Amazon Prime running on it, which is what I mainly bought it for, and no problem whatsoever running it on Wi-Fi. I can even stream one video to my TV through the Roku while streaming another to my Kindle Fire. All video streaming apps need a fast connection, and I suspect most of the bad reviews are attributable to slow and/or poor Internet service. More Roku content would of course be nice, but as it stands it's the best fifty dollar entertainment purchase I ever made. And in the Roku Channel Store you can buy, for a one-time charge of $2.99, a Netflix browser which is far better than the one Netflix provides.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Roku Rule, October 7, 2012
This review is from: Roku LT Streaming Player (Old Version) (Electronics)
I purchased the Roku LT Streaming Player for my bedroom (i don`t have cable) it is truly a marvel of technology, it is so tiny and purple and fit in the palm of your hand, yet very powerful and extremely entertaining (and cute) you have your Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu Plus, Pandora and hundreds more of free channels to choose from. I have choosen 168 (all free channels, they do have pay channels as well) of their channels for my viewing and it will take me quite awhile to see everything. A few people complain about the remote but i love it, also the remote shown in the picture is not the one i got, the one i got has direct connect with Netflix, Hulu Plus and Pandora (for Music) and the channels change very quickly. It has a connection to your TV Set, HDMI for flat screen (HD) and RCA Jacks for analog, so you can connect to almost any tv, it uses Wi-Fi for connection to the internet (no ethernet on this model), which for me works great no slow down, no buffering and a wonderful picture with HDMI, the Roku LT only has 720p HD with an HDMI cable, they have other models which has 1080p HD. I will be getting another Roku later for the livingroom. It is very easy 123 to hook up. I don`t have any negatives about The Roku LT Streaming Player, except you do have to give credit or debit card information but it will only be used for purchase of pay channels. It is in a word "PERFECT" Who needs cable, with this little marvel. Roku LT Streaming Player Note: ordered 2nd Roku Oct 2012, got the regular remote this time, love Roku.

2.0 out of 5 stars Product works great, but Roku REQUIRES you to provide a CREDIT CARD NUMBER before it will let you use the box, March 2, 2013
This review is from: Roku LT Streaming Player (Old Version) (Electronics)

There's no reason for Roku to demand a credit card number unless you're purchasing a pay-channel through them. I understand their desire to facilitate impulse channel buys, but it also makes it easier to accidentally add a channel while browsing.

Providing a credit card number should be optional, not required. And Roku should state the requirement clearly on its web site and in its advertising. Roku markets the box as a one-time purchase. By requiring a credit card number Roku is deceiving and inconveniencing its customers.

Roku should take note of what happened to Best Buy, Sears, JCPenney, and other dominant companies when they used their strong market presence to try and force their customers into relationships that favored the companies' interests. All of them are circling the drain now.

Yes, I am upset about this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Roku to Save the World, September 30, 2012
This review is from: Roku LT Streaming Player (Old Version) (Electronics)
If you have internet you must use this product. I watch what I want to watch WHEN I want to watch it. No DVR, no huge expenses, great HD visuals.

Great product that entertains and saves you money.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect!, September 25, 2012
yowza3 (san francisco, ca) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Roku LT Streaming Player (Old Version) (Electronics)
I've had my Roku LT for a few weeks now and have enjoyed using it very much. Primarily I've been using the Amazon Instant Video, Pandora, and Crackle channels. I'm an Amazon Prime member and was looking for a device that could stream in HD since my laptop is getting older/slower for streaming purposes. The Roku LT fulfills that need. Once you connect your Amazon account to the Roku you'll have access to the full Instant Video and Prime libraries as well as your watchlist. I love having easy access to all my Prime content and being able to see what else is available to watch at the same time. Granted, the remote won't let you add content as easily as your laptop mouse would, but the interface is simple enough so that it's still fun to do so.

The setup of the actual Roku is very simple. There's no on/off switch-just plug in your HD cables, hook things up, and once your account is set you can add whatever channels you want. I also love the variety of channels and free content. I have found channels with free exercise videos, cooking tips, and of course music and tv/movies, and there are even apps for viewing Facebook photos and the weather. If I still had Netflix I would definitely be using that app a lot, too.

This is a great media alternative to those who don't have cable. Even just playing Pandora makes great use of what the device excels at, which is stream content. The Roku LT is exactly what I was hoping for in a streaming device and especially good paired with Amazon Prime Instant Videos. The setup is easy, finding content is fun thanks to the simple and clean user interface of the software, and even with free channels there is so much to keep you entertained. I would definitely recommend the Roku LT considering its cost and capabilities.

1.0 out of 5 stars Update 7/10/13 - Roku has a serious problem that is not evident most to buyers., July 1, 2013
This review is from: Roku LT Streaming Player (Old Version) (Electronics)
I love the 2 Roku players in my home. They are 2 to 4 years old and they work perfectly. However, the Roku LT player I bought a month ago has a problem.

The new LT player runs very hot. The heat becomes obvious about a day after installation. It does work properly but it is hot enough to be uncomfortable when holding it. I checked the my 2 older Roku players and there was no heat generated.

I have some knowledge of electronics and I would not keep this player.

When you have heat coming from an electrical product (such as a portable computer), there is a fan or cooling considerations such as spacing or venting within the device. The Roku player housing has no provision for cooling, therefore the product was designed not to generate heat (again, there is no heat generated by the two older Roku players).

Two weeks ago, I called Roku and was told that I had a defective LT player and should order another LT. Also, I was advised not to put the payer in a cabinet - which raised a red flag for me (since my other Roku players were in cabinets for years without any heat). Regardless, I ordered another LT player and it was just as hot.

The heat problem is twofold. First, heat in a closed player without any cooling provision is a serious problem and can be dangerous. Secondly, the life span of electronics under heat is shortened considerably.

Check your Roku players for heat level and disconnect them if heat is clearly evident.

Amazon is doing a review of the Roku players now.

Update 7/10/13 - returned the LT player and amazon as usual handled the return and refund quickly. Also, looked through other reviews and read about many LT players failing after a short period. I believe some of these failures may be due to the heat problem I discussed above. ROKU has a problem that needs to be addressed quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review from a 3 Roku-user with slow DSL, November 7, 2012
This review is from: Roku LT Streaming Player (Old Version) (Electronics)
I wanted to save money so I downgraded my Dish Network package to the cheapest and purchased 3 of these Roku LT's. Here's my take on a few things that I wasn't sure about before I ordered. (BTW, 2 of my LT's I've had for a year and the third one I just purchased recently--2 are being used on non-HDTV's and the other on a new 32" Sceptre LED HDTV Sceptre E325BV-HDH 32-Inch 720p 60Hz LED HDTV (Black). So far, the Roku is giving me MOST of what I wanted, but I'm slightly disappointed too.

Do a Google search for Roku private channels, there's a wealth of info on forums. But darn it, I wanted to watch HGTV, and it was available through private channels until the owners of HGTV forced it to be removed - same with Food Network. And this is a MAJOR disappointment for me. If I could only get HGTV I'd do away with Dish Network completely.

Pick up some spare remotes for cheap on eBay, because if you misplace the remote, you can't use it.

I knew going in my DSL speed was too slow for Roku's requirements. I have AT&T's cheapest DSL plan with download speeds up to 768 Kbps and upload speeds up to 128 Kbps. I was curious to see if it buffered as when I'm watching a YouTube video on my PC. Or if the Roku even worked at all. So here's what happened with the Roku. Watching the shorter videos my DSL speed is fine. You can see it downloading the video for a few seconds, and there's no buffering as I get when viewing a video on my computer. But my sub-standard DSL speed will not work at all with the movie channels like Crackle, I can watch the commercial before the movie, but that is it, it then goes back to the "play" screen.

BUT (surprisingly), streaming movies from Netflix with my slow DSL speed, no problems with buffering no matter what movies/TV shows I've watched - it's been great. Amazon Prime videos are a different story, buffering...so I may be upgrading my DSL speed to the next level.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great - a must with Amazon Prime, September 26, 2012
This review is from: Roku LT Streaming Player (Old Version) (Electronics)
Update: Just bought another, it's great...need to have one for each TV.

I got this about two months ago and couldn't be more pleased. Before I got the Roku I never watched the Prime Videos, now that's all I watch. I haven't watched anything off my DVR since I got this thing. Setup was simple and I have had no problems since. The only thing I use this for is Amazon Prime. There are hundreds of channels, but I haven't had the need to try any yet. This one is rated at 720p, and it looks better than what comes out of my cable box/DVR which is supposed to be 1080i. If I was the only one in the house, I'd cancel my cable TV.,

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally a way to watch Netflix without the ps3...., November 18, 2012
This review is from: Roku LT Streaming Player (Old Version) (Electronics)
Great little device (once you finally get it set up/programmed)! I watched lots of Youtube tutorials on the set up of the Roku and, at least for me, it was WAY more complicated than was shown! I only encountered a few technical problems after it was installed. There's not much on regular television that I enjoy watching but with Roku I have choices galore! Right now, I'm plugging it into the TV of which ever room I happen to be in so I'm seriously thinking about buying another one. In regard to picture quality...sometimes it's fine, sometimes it's not. I would say the down-side is the pauses for "loading." Unlike regular "commercials", which seem to be programmed to come on when a scene fades or at least AFTER a line of dialog is delivered, Roku interrupts for loading when you least expect it. And, sometimes it loads quickly but most of the time it doesn't. Annoying, but to be able to watch what I want, when I want, I can deal with it. There are other channels (as they're referred to)on Roku but in my opinion, Netflix is by far the best!

Please let me know if my review was helpful in your inquiry or purchase ! Thanks

Update 11/23/12

I purchased three more to put in every room! I'm also going to be sending back two of my four tv cable boxes to save money and enjoy the roku!

Everything is working great with the roku ! No issues except short. 20 second loading interruptions when you least expect it ! But don't let that detour you!! This is a great product !