Questions & Answers
Please make sure that your post is a question about the product. Edit your question or post anyway.
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 130 questions
vote
I own 3 Roku's, One for each TV in the house. I have one Netflix account, Hulu account, and Amazon account that can be viewed on each one. There currently is no reasonable way to share one Roku among multiple TV's and get them to play different content. You could probably cobble something up and get one Roku to play the same thing on multiple TV's. You do not have to log out of a Hulu account on one Roku to log into Hulu on another Roku. Hulu, Amazon, and Netflix have restriction on how many devices can play their content at once. Netflix is 2, Amazon and Hulu it is 1. You can log into and save the login information automatically to all three. Watch something, end it, and within a few minutes you should be able to go to another Roku or any device and watch something else from the same provider. You do not need to login and log out as you move from device to device. Hulu, Amazon, and Netflix know when you have stopped watching a movie (usually within a few minutes) and it will keep track of that and simply bar you from watching on another device that you are already logged in on or let you watch it. You only need to log in once.
Dec 2, 2012 by Mr.FoggyBottom
votes
No Audio: Any ideas? Dec 25, 2010
We went to the Roku audio settings and changed from 5.1 surround sound to stereo and that worked for us.
Jan 15, 2011 by Regan Bailey
votes
I love streaming Netflix on the Roku, but I believe there is also a lot of great free stuff that you can stream on the Roku, including many "private" channels or "beta" channels that aren't listed on Roku's web site. Try Googling "complete list of Roku channels" and look for this list on sites other than Roku's web site for a complete listing of channels. I love Netflix, but can also stay happily entertained with just all of the free channels that you can get on the Roku.
Jan 19, 2011 by R. Dunn
votes
The free Roku "channel", Pod TV can be added to the Roku and in addition to News programming from the major broadcast and cable news networks, it also has many local news channels on it. It looks like there is at least one local station from every metropolitan area of any size in the entire country. Pod TV and many other Roku channels are not even listed on Roku's website, but these "private" channels can easily be added (Just Google a search for Roku private channels to find out how to add them.) Also, the Roku has an excellent weather channel called Weather Underground. Enter your zip code the first time that you use it, and then this channel will give you your complete current weather conditions along with a 5-day forecast. You get all of this information instantly on the screen, any time that you want it without having to listen to an overly-long, boring local TV weather cast. And, you can also see radar, satellite, and webcam images there. When travelling, you can also search for weather by city name on this channel to get a quick travel forecast. Also, there is also a great optional Roku screen saver called LED Time and Weather that displays time and complete current weather conditions.
Jan 19, 2011 by R. Dunn
votes
I have the XDS and I can tell you that even for the supported file types it only works about 30% of the time and will almost certainly require re-encoding to work. It only supports a very limited range of settings and even people with a decent knowledge of video encoding have trouble getting videos to work.
Mar 23, 2011 by Melody Stanley
votes
Miranda, I feel I didn't give you a good enough answer earlier and I don't want the contrarians to confuse you. Keep in mind that I am a Roku User/Owner and prefer the Roku to the Apple Product. I believe you are looking for a simple solution, not complicated? It is really going to come down to how much you're willing to do to make it work. If you want it to work out of the box with Apple Itunes... buy the Apple box. If your willing to do some server setups, file conversions and a fair amount of tinkering, then go with the Roku... you can make just about anything work with enough effort. The Roku will never have a native Itunes application as it is a competing device that is partnered with Amazon's VOD service. Because of this, and limitations of the Roku supported file types, there will never be a direct way to play things you purchase off of Itunes. I hope this helps.
Nov 14, 2011 by R. Diamond
votes
The answer is yes! I have my Roku connected via the RCA jacks (and two sets of RCA cables) like this: Roku --> VCR line in --> VCR line out --> TV. Your VCR should have a "channel 0" or "line in" or "camera input" function. Set it to this channel and it will record anything the Roku plays. Have fun. :)
Sep 14, 2011 by T. James
votes
The XDS does have both composite and component outputs, so it will work with an older TV. However, if closed captioning happens to be important to you, look at the Roku 2XS instead.
Dec 14, 2013 by BF
votes
Yes. XDS is still supported. A firmeare update is issued now and then if it's needed. Regarding file formats...If your PC can view it, ROKU can move it to TV. Once you've connected a ROKU to the Internet, you can browse a STORE for new video providers, some free and some paid-for services such as Amazon, Youtube.com, TED, and many others. Some music services can also be found.
Feb 7, 2013 by Clifford E. Hatfield
votes
We use a Roku HD with an older TV which has composite inputs (red, white, yellow) and it works great. Part of the Roku setup will ask you questions that address this and other things. It was a snap to set up. With Roku you will not need a computer except to register the Roku. You can manage your Netflix queue on your Mac if you want. You can also use the Roku on your TV. I think you'll like it.
Dec 29, 2010 by Jim
‹ Previous   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   ...   13   Next ›

Unanswered questions
Search Questions and Answers