So what do Roku boxes give for FREE? I've used AppleTV in the past and know it gives very little in the way of free content. There's YouTube and some internet radio stations and that's about it. I know both it and the Roku player are capable of doing NetFlix if you're willing to pay for it, and I know Roku can also do Hulu Plus subscriptions as well as some other paid subs.

My question is this: what can a Roku player stream for free out of the box? Assuming I'm not paying anything per moth to any content providers. I've read that there's a news channel and maybe a few other things but are they any good? I'd appreciate any opinion current owners may have...
asked by Rick Montalban on December 21, 2010
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 32 answers
A
I love streaming Netflix on the Roku, but I believe there is also a lot of great free stuff that you can stream on the Roku, including many "private" channels or "beta" channels that aren't listed on Roku's web site. Try Googling "complete list of Roku channels" and look for this list on sites other than Roku's web site for a complete listing of channels. I love Netflix, but can also stay happily entertained with just all of the free channels that you can get on the Roku.
R. Dunn answered on January 19, 2011
Comment | 28 of 31 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
There is alot of free content http://www.roku-channels.com/ . Looking at my roku a couple very good "channels" are :
Nowheretv http://www.thenowhereman.com/roku/ (Nowhere TV features free content from providers like HGTV, Food Network, Smithsonian Channel, NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, and CNN as well as local news content from stations around the country) , Newscaster , Playon, CNET, Pandora, Tunein,TWIT, Revision3, HGTV, Chow, CrackleTV.com, JustinTV, CNN,Flixter and media fly gaming... Most of these you add trough Roku channel Store and the others are private codes you easily add to your roku..

@wetwhistle A think he is referring to a channel called "Crunchyroll" has a lot of anime and asian drama shows

take Care
Patchman answered on March 28, 2011
Comment (1) | 24 of 26 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
The other poster is right...Netflix and Hulu are the reasons to get a Roku... There are tons of channels yes, which in aggregate along with NF and H+ make it quite an entertainment value. Some of the channels I use quite often, but w/o the two paid channels its not worth it. That's not Roku's fault at all, but rather if content providers have something you would want, 9 times out of ten they're not just going to give it away
Robert B. answered on January 15, 2011
Comment (1) | 13 of 16 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
The Roku Channel Store will give you info on each available channel, including whether it is free, paid (subscription) or pay-per-view. Some of the subscription channels (like for classic movies) are as cheap as $3 per year. Specifics are on the Roku website: http://www.roku.com/roku-channel-store
R. Johnson answered on December 29, 2010
Comment (1) | 17 of 24 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
To find lots of free private channel codes for Roku that aren't in the Channel store yet, go to http://almostaccurate.com/roku/. Also, google private channel codes for Roku occasionally. People are creating them quite frequently now.
Esther Hollyweather answered on March 30, 2011
Comment | 6 of 6 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I hate the idea of giving my credit card number to them. Can't I just watch all the free stuff and not have to give roku this information?
Jan Morgan answered on May 30, 2012
Comments (4) | 9 of 10 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Jason,

I don't think that you can access regular Hulu with Roku and HuluPlus will not give you "regular" Hulu. Plus is a separate product with a monthly charge.

I hope I'm wrong about this, but don' think so. Hopefully someone else will chime in.
Jim answered on February 1, 2011
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Patchman,

Thanks for the link and info.
Jim answered on February 2, 2011
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Streaming Players Club'' on Facebook everything you need to know about Roku.
Murphy answered on January 20, 2013
Comments (2) | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
From Roku's website. It's still all about selling us something...
"Sell in the Channel Store
Enroll in Roku Billing Services
By enrolling in Roku's Billing Services program you can sell channels, games, apps or content to over three million Roku customers. Roku manages all the customer billing and payment processing. Customers can purchase your channel with a simple click of their remote!"
Honestly... answered on February 23, 2013
Comment (1) | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   2   3   4   Next ›

See all questions about this product