4.0 out of 5 stars Amarena cherries are not your regular cherries!!!!!
Published 19 months ago by Nino Amarena

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected
Published on August 23, 2011 by swans6250

4.0 out of 5 stars Amarena cherries are not your regular cherries!!!!!, May 21, 2013
Nino Amarena (San Carlos, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Roland Dried Amarena Cherries in Syrup, 35.3-Ounce Pail (Grocery)
Since my last name is Amarena and these cherries are originally from Italy I can shed some light for future customers who would like to buy these. Amarena cherries are not your regular cheeries you buy at groceries or produce stores, that goes with names like Bing and other. Amarena are small cherries the size of a garbanzo bean or larger(the name Amarena is not a family or product name but a description of their taste) that are quite sour and will never acquire sweetness no matter where they are grown or for how long they are on the tree. These species of cherries were and are used as a root stock for sweet cherries sold at stores because they are very drought tolerant and disease tolerant.

Their name Amarena come from the Latin "amaro" which means "sour". The sweetness comes from the curing and preserving method which uses lots of sugar to off-set the sourness. As such, these cheries have won international culinary awards as decoration fruit for mostly ice-cream based desserts. Usually placed on top of the dessert as a "final touch" of sweetness.

In France they are known as "griottes" and used in similar way plus they are famous there for use in tarts and tartlettes (which as its name implies "tarts" used to be made with fruit that was tart or sour and covered with praline or sweetened syrups to off-set the sourness).

For all of those who bought them, try Amarene on top of icecreams or sundaes and your opinion will change.

Nino Amarena

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, August 23, 2011
I thought these would be the type of dried cherries I could use to add antioxidants to baking and cooking recipes. I was not prepared for what arrived. They are not in what I consider dried form. They come in a big bucket which must take up room in your refrigerator after they are opened. The cherries themselves are so sickly sweet you cannot eat them on their own and I'm not sure how they would fare in a recipe. All in all, a disappointment

1.0 out of 5 stars Candied, NOT dried, November 25, 2011
Like the other reviewer, I ordered these in order to have dried cherries to add to baked goods and oatmeal, etc.. Instead, I got candied cherries suitable for hyper-sweet fruitcake MAYBE, or for garnishing cupcakes, etc., but not for much else.

Unless you want CANDIED cherries, do NOT order these.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for cocktail garnish, October 3, 2013
Not a lot of syrup so we cover with bourbon and use to garnish manhattans.
Only disadvantage is not all cherries are whole.
Not quite as good as the brand name amarena cherries in white jars but very good once soaked in bourbon. Very very good price comparatively.

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT Dried! Candied!, January 2, 2013
this product states that thisitem is dried however it came to me in a soggy box because they are candied and shipped poorly! VERY DISAPPOINTED

5.0 out of 5 stars Too die for!, January 10, 2013
cocobe "cocobe" (Green Cove Springs, FL) - See all my reviews
Let me start off by saying there is nothing healthy about these cherries...these are a Italian candy treat for your baking, for chocolates, and all types of tasty food. I gave some of these to a friend for her marzipan cookies...her husband told me that they were the best ever! These are hard to come by and generally only available at certain times of the year, my hips are grateful for that! These are not dried granola bar cherries...

5.0 out of 5 stars De... Licious, January 2, 2013
Roland Amarena Cherries are de...licious!!Roland Amarena Cherries, Dried, 35.3-Ounce I specifically wanted them for an Italian cookie recipe calling for the dried candied "sour" cherries wrapped in an almond cookie crust. They perfectly duplicated a cookie I tried from an Italian bakery years ago. They are also gluten and dairy free so they're perfect for my grandaughter, who can't have anything with wheat or cow dairy. They were delicious and I will certainly make them again and again. Especially since the container holds quite a lot of cherries. They are also great over ice cream and in a savory sauce for pork tenderloin.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful and delicious, December 20, 2011
I had these first in Europe on ice cream at Isola Bella on Maggorie Lake. They are wonderful and hard to find. I bought all 3 tubs at Spec's. My grandchildren love them on their ice cream too! They are wonderful on plain cheesecake to add great flavor and texture. Also great on a slice of plain vanillal or chocolate pound cake. If the container is too big in your refrigerator, put them in a smaller one as I do!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars These are delicious, November 18, 2009
These cherries are sweet with just a bit of tang. I especially like that they have all natural ingredients - no preservatives. Even though they are dried, they are still quite moist. I paid right at $10 per pound.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dried cherries?, September 18, 2012
These cherries are not dried...they are packed in syrup, which was all over the packing and the container. The cherries may be "sour in taste" however they are packed in such a sweet syrup, you'll never know. This product is nothing like any dried cherry I have ever had in the past. I will never buy them again.