5.0 out of 5 stars The last watch you will ever buy!!!, August 15, 2009
Mike (New York, New York) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rolex Sea Dweller Black Index Dial Oyster Bracelet Stainless Steel Mens Watch 116660BKSO (Watch)
I agree with the last reviewer Alien13 on many points. The new blue luminescence for the 2008 model is great and the writing on the watch face about the "gas escape valve" and "ring lock system" is not very noticeable when you are looking at the watch in person. In all the reviews I have read on other sites, it seems the writing on the watch face is the main thing people complain about. However, I suspect these people are only commenting on the close-up pictures of the watch on the internet instead of having actually seen the watch in person. Don't let these reviews influence your decision. I have been trying on watches for a year and when I finally pulled the trigger last week, I went with the new Sea Dweller 116660 model. During my search I tried on Panerai, Jaeger LeCoultre, Omega, and many other high-end dive watches and even though I was impressed by many (almost went with JLC), I kept coming back to Rolex. People buy watches for different reasons so I am in no way putting down any of the watch brands I just mentioned. I just think the Sea Dweller offers the most value overall. I am pretty hard on watches and durability was my primary concern during my watch shopping. JLC makes a great titanium dive watch but titanium, although lighter and stronger than steel, tends to scratch easily and for this reason, I went back to the Sea Dweller with it's ceramic bezel and steel case/bracelet. Rolex has decided to put scratch-resistant ceramic bezels on all of their watch models going forward but they already put ceramic on the Sea Dweller and it was this that sealed the deal for me. Ceramic doesn't fade and very rarely scratches. This watch is built like a tank and if you want something that will last, this is the watch you want. During the time I spent watch shopping, I wish I had a review about this watch to read that told it like it is so I decided to write this to help out others who might be on the fence regarding this watch. In the end, don't over think the purchase of a Sea Dweller. Just do it. This is one sharp watch and once you try it on I guarantee you will be hooked. Trust me, you will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE ROLEX TO OWN, May 26, 2010
Blackbeltchef (New Jersey, USA) - See all my reviews
The Deep Sea is visually and physically an incredible watch to wear. Great balance and shape. The weight of the watch may take a day or two to get used to but it will be your go to watch all the time. I wear mine on kayak expeditions, hiking, as well as an event where I need to wear proper attire. I have owned at one time pretty much the whole Rolex sport watch lineup and this by far is my favorite.

5.0 out of 5 stars DEEPSEA, August 13, 2009
I believe this is a new model as of 2008. It's rated to 3900m. Hard to imagine many people put it to that kind of test. It's more of a "we built it that way because we could" spec.

It has a much better band and clasp than the Submariner/Sea Dweller. (I believe the new GMT II uses a similar system, but I like this one better.)

The writing on the inner ring isn't nearly as distracting as it looks in the official Rolex photos.

It has cool blue luminesence.

The ceramic bezel is scratchproof and supposedly won't fade. (Also found on the new GMT II.)

It's a big watch at 43mm, so it's perhaps not for everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Big and bad and awesome, January 27, 2011
The Deep Sea is the end of the road if you're looking for a BOLD, high-end divers watch. I also own an Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean and a Rolex Sea-dweller 4000 but when it's time to make a bit more of a statement, this bad-boy is IT. The new maxi-dial is spectacular and is really set off by the curved crystal; it gives a three-dimensional look that is absolutely amazing. The blue lume on the hands and markers is beautiful and bright at nite.

The new ceramic bezel is a sight to behold. The only thing better than looking at it is turning it, feeling the new roller bearings move so precisely.

The large case is, indeed, large but sits well on my medium-sized wrist and feels very comfortable. The new glide-lock clasp allows for easy, precise fitting. Also love the gigantic crown; it just looks and feels very cool.

It's great to know that the engine is the updated version of the 3135 that has been so reliable over the years. I appreciate the continual evolution that now includes the parachron blue hairspring. And the new depth rating of 12,800 feet; are your kidding me? That'll give you bragging rights in any circle of watch-lovers.

Recommended changes? Only thing I'd change would be to make the bracelet a bit heftier than the other sub models; it seems that it would be a bit more in keeping with the character of the watch.

In summary, this is an absolutely spectacular timepiece for those who have outgrown the "normal" diving watches and want a bit more attitude and technology on their wrist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the size!, December 2, 2009
You must see this watch in person. I really liked the size of this. It's my Sunday watch. My GMT seemed so small next to it. But still it is not over bearing on your wrist. One thing I miss is the polished links of my GMT. The new sea dweller does not have them. I purchased it for the size of it. The yacht master is beautiful and the same size, however at 30K out of my price range. If you are considering this go to your local A.D.(authorized dealer) and check it out in person. You'll love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome watch !, September 11, 2009
I bought this watch a couple of months ago and personally love it ! I went through a Tag Grand Carrera that went back to the store after 3 days, then an Omega Planet Ocean but settled on this watch. While it is expensive as most Rolex watches, it is worth every penny! The branding on the inner bezel is hardly noticeable and does not take away from the watch at all. The is actually not that bad in size either. I prefer a larger watch (Omega sea Master was 45 mm) This watch is 44 mm but stands out a bit farther from the wrist than the other 41 mm watches from Rolex... But i prefer the larger/heavier watches. As for durability; This thing is rock solid and feels solid as well. My Omega had scratches on the anti reflective coating on the crystal in 1 month after purchase ! The band on the Omega was scratched really bad as well (called Omega, they really didn't care and didn't stand behind their watch!). It looked old after a short period of time, which is why i returned it. This Rolex still looks brand new !

I highly recommend going for the Rolex over the other brands, personal preference of course. I was looking for a "durable" watch that would handle everyday use, this one was it. Its too bad it took me 3 watches to find it

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Watch For The Bigger Guy, August 23, 2014
I'm a bigger guy. 6'3" 260lbs. I find a lot of luxury watches to be on the smaller side. I'm not looking to look like I have a wall clock on my wrist but rather a watch that matches my larger frame and wrists. The Rolex Deep Sea Sea-Dweller is it! I love Rolex and own a few already (Submariner, GMT). They are fantastic watches but I always found them to a little look small on me. I can't get over how perfect The Deep Sea is for me. If you are a bigger guy and want a watch that looks normal on you and also want the prestige of Rolex, search no further!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, but too large, March 23, 2010
I looked at this beauty over and over and compared it to the Sea Dweller 4000. I'm a smaller guy at 5' 9" 155 lbs. The innumerable landings probably cost me an inch. Although I wanted it mightily, it was just too large for my frame. I wear my watch in a very unobtrusive fashion and on the inside of my wrist. Additionally, my last dive maxed out at 40 feet. It was fabulously clear and warm. I won't be locking out or wearing a dry suit anymore, I'm just too damn old now. God I wanted that watch, but I just couldn't rationalize it. For me, the Sea Dweller fits me perfectly....... but God I still want that watch.