Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoor Deals on Tikes

on November 17, 2012
Yes, I am biased. Have been listening to Willie's music for years. Love all those country "outlaw" guys. Read Willie's book "The Tao of Willie" some years ago and found it to be quite inspirational---for lots of reasons.

This new book "Roll Me Up and Smoke Me When I Die"---is a candid retrospective of "Now"-- and to Willie: Now is Forever and Forever is Now. If this doesn't make sense to probably will after you read this easy to digest little tome...that includes jokes, stories, comments about Willie from his family. Amazing illustrations from his youngest son and extremely talented artist, Micah Nelson.

Even if you are not a fan of his music....his life, his wisdom, and his gentleness make him a "folk hero of the highest order"....this lovely book loaded with wisdom does not disappoint even the most skeptical....

Looking for a Holiday Gift....this is a good one to consider.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 25, 2012
This book reads like all of Willie's songs rolled together. If you're looking for a standard autobiography, you won't find it here. While reading this book, it felt like I was on the bus, a part of the family, hearing their stories first hand, rolling down the highway, a song in the making. Willie has stories like no other, telling jokes one minute then talking seriously about the things that matter most to him like family, fans, Texas and the music. He waxes poetic on everything from Farm Aid, God, politics, marijuana, childhood antics, golf, poker, family, friends and other musings from A to Z. These are all homegrown stories as only Willie can spin them. After reading this book, one can see why the idea of Willie for Nobel Peace Prize is floating around. As his wife Annie says, "He has a way of seeing life that is a gift to anyone lucky enough to spend time with him" and his daughter Amy writes, "He transcends boundaries, opens hearts and unites people." On page 159 is a collection of Willie's pearls of wisdom. I'm not going to tell you what they are. I suggest you buy the book and start applying them in your own life because, well, this reviewer believes that Willie just makes sense!
on November 24, 2012
I have several books by and about Willie Nelson, but this one was the best. Many comments by family members and friends, and a lot of insightful information by Willie himself. He gets sort of raunchy with his language, but I'm sort of old and didn't grow up with that sort of thing. Doesn't dim my admiration for him, his books and especially his music, and if he writes another book I'll buy it too. Love that man.
VINE VOICEon November 25, 2012
If you are a Willie Nelson fan, read this book. If you are NOT a Willie Nelson fan, then you should be, and you will be if you read this book. Willie is a great man, poet, philosopher and family man. The book? Why the book is a work of art. There are lyrics, ( mostly his own) and illustrations by his son Micah.

We all know a lot of things about Willie Nelson, his music, his tribulations and his charity. I had no idea that he was a philosopher, or a man so loving that his patchwork family doesn't know or care who started where or why. That, in my opinion, is his greatest talent. He is an amazing and loving family man.

Scattered throughout the book you will find stories and thoughts about Willie, written by family and friends. They are a beautiful tribute. This book is not great literature, but it is great art, and great love.
on November 21, 2012
I love Willie Nelson but this is ramblings, old jokes, music lyrics and absolutely nothing except
praise for what a great father and person he is. While he may be all of that and perhaps one of the greatest musicians of all time, he is not a writer. He also must not have had an editor or his editor figured it
would make money so it didnt need to make any sense.
It repeats itself in several places. I was expecting an account of how it is to be on the road and instead got
random thoughts, in random order that seemed to be written on napkins first and tributes from his friends and family.
Spend the money and buy some of his music instead.
I read two or three books a week and I have never felt as cheated out of my money as I did when I finished this book.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 30, 2013
Okay I read a fair chunk of this, but as much as I love Willie Nelson the singer, I'd had enough. I'm so glad I didn't buy this book. I checked it out from the local library on a seven day special. The book is well I don't know exactly, it's like Willie sort of dumped everything out on his keyboard in between tokes. Or if he was playing poker or dominos as he apparently does a lot, he had somebody else write or record some stuff. Speaking of weed, willie lets us know that "I've never had trouble getting marijuana anywhere in the world. In the places where it's legal, the smart countries, they are making a profit. And where it's not legal, the only people making money are the criminals."

The references to weed are supplemented with random bits of stuff like " ... As someone said, 'Keep doing it wrong till you like it that way.' I think, I already said that, but it's important." Yes that really is there. Thankfully, the part where Willie talks about constipation and suppositories is mercifully brief. Then a bit later, Willie clears it all up for us: "Sometimes I think, Well ... Then again I don't know, but when you get right down to it, there it is." Yup, that pretty well sums it up.

Okay, before I abandoned this book I also learned that Willie had a lot of women and is surprised and pleased to find out he has kids he didn't know about like Renee that he had with Mary Haney ... And, well there was Martha he was married to until he met Shirley Collie and a blonde singer in Texas, then Connie and well Annie ... He may still be with her, but well who cares ... He'd rather be playing poker or maybe dominos.

Once again willie clears that all up, "If there is no solution, then there is no problem." That was on p. 86 and there was where I abandoned this book.

Again, I still like Willie. He is a gifted songwriter. Unfortunately, his gifts are not evident in this book. If I didn't like Willie I would have given this book the one star it has earned.
on April 11, 2013
I like Willie Nelson but this book was just a bad read. More information than I cared to read about.
on January 9, 2013
I can't believe this was published. It is so disjointed, confused and mostly irrelevant that I couldn't finish. I still love you Willie. Please stick to music where you are king.
on June 22, 2013
I was very disappointed in this kindle purchase. I was expecting to hear from Willie, more of his life story, more of his experiences. What I got was a book filled with glowing narratives written by others, the lyrics to most of his songs, an occasional favorite dirty joke of his, and a travel narrative about Maui. I wish I could get my money back.
on December 20, 2012
Willie Nelson is such an interesting man. I was hoping that this book would reveal many interesting facts and stories. It was completely disappointing. The book wandered from one thing to the next. There was no organization nor complete flow of thoughts.
I am sorry that I paid for this.
I don't blame Willie, I blame the editors and publishers. It was a pitiful attempt.