4.0 out of 5 stars Good skate for an older child
Published on September 3, 2011 by John

1.0 out of 5 stars Great skate until...
Published on August 22, 2010 by B. S. Huckaby

4.0 out of 5 stars Good skate for an older child, September 3, 2011
This review is from: Roller Derby Men's V500 Adjustable Inline Skates
I had originally bought my son the Chicago Rally Jr. Boys Adjustable Inline Skate, but the teeth on the belt wore down after only 5 times skating. This skate seems sturdier, but only time will tell. I will say this is definitely a larger skate. The sizing goes from 6 to 9 (unlike the Chicago Rally Jr.'s 5 to 8), but it's a much wider shoe, and I don't know if the wheels are larger or just spaced differently, but it has a much longer wheelbase than a kid's skate. That said, if you have an older child who is at least four-and-a-half feet tall and wears at least a size 5 1/2, this skate should work well. The ankles are supported well (which is important since my kid has weak muscles around the ankles) and three straps hold the skate tight against the foot.

I'm not entirely convinced adjustable skates are the way to go (I'm not convinced this skate will last long enough for him to get to a size 9, and I'd prefer straps--or even better, laces--sized for his particular sized foot), but I found at his foot size, it's actually harder to find a decent single-sized skate for anything less than $100.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great skate until..., August 22, 2010
This review is from: Roller Derby Men's V500 Adjustable Inline Skates
Purchased these for my 12-year old son last Christmas. He loved them--great fit, solid build, and good quality wheels and bearings. Just this week (8 months later) one of the buckles tore out of the PVC shell while he was putting them on. Since he hasn't used them more than once a week during this time I was a little surprised at this, but then I noticed that the buckle mounting holes aren't reinforced at all--just a simple rivet through the plastic only about 1/2 inch from the edge.

Adjustable skates aren't much use if they fail before your child's foot has a chance to grow! We'll be trying a different brand next time.

1.0 out of 5 stars Less than 2 months of use!, February 23, 2011
This review is from: Roller Derby Men's V500 Adjustable Inline Skates
My son received these for Christmas and the plastic covering on the tounge of the skate has cracked in half. He cannot even wear them without it cutting into his foot. So dissapointed.

1.0 out of 5 stars If your kid loves to skate, spend a bit more for a good pair, May 5, 2014
This review is from: Roller Derby Men's V500 Adjustable Inline Skates
My son was thrilled with these skates the first couple of times he used them, then when pulling up the tongue it snapped in half. The tongues are lined with fabric, but also have a hard plastic lining. The edge rubbed his ankle area raw. Then the following week the other tongue cracked in the same place. By this time it was too late to return them. I tried to remove the plastic portion, but it doesn't seem possible. So now my good deal on skates has turned into me buying yet another new pair. Spend a little more or you will get what you pay for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't Beat it for the Price!, March 17, 2014
This review is from: Roller Derby Men's V500 Adjustable Inline Skates
I bought these inline skates for a 14 year old boy who wears a size 8 shoe, and these skates adjust perfectly to fit him on the size 8 setting. He says that they are comfortable, fast, and they turn on a dime due to the softer 78A wheels. The skates have allowed him to progress in his inline skating abilities compared with the Target bought Schwinn inline skates he had as his starter set.

I like that Roller Derby brand actually has a website with good information, and an order form where you can order repair parts for these skates. The replacement wheels are a bit hefty in price at $6/each, but replacement 76mm 78A wheels from other sources are easy to find and can be had for more like $3/each, as long as you're okay buying them in clear or black.

Wear on the existing wheels has been negligible after many hours of use, with about an 80/20 split of time spent on smooth surface vs. asphalt.

Anyway, great skates for the money. I would guess probably the best option out there in the sub-$50 range.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great rollerblade for older boys, May 7, 2012
M. Kelly (Connell, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Roller Derby Men's V500 Adjustable Inline Skates
I bought these for my 12 year old son. They are inexpensive rollerblades in adjustable adult sizes---6-9. We have only had them for a week. He has been using them for at least an hour each day. They fit well, are comfortable, and he is able to skate easily in them. They are a great option for boys who still have growing feet and are into adult sizes. I do not want to buy expensive rollerblades while he is still growing. I don't know about the longevity of the rollerblades, but so far so good. We have owned the boys' version of these adjustable skates (same brand) for four years without any trouble, passed through 3 brothers. I am hoping that these will be the same.