Rollercoaster Tycoon 3: Platinum  [Download]
Platform for Display: PC DownloadChange
Price:$19.99

VINE VOICEon February 1, 2007
Platform for Display: PC
Roller Coaster Tycoon has been one of the most successful of the 'tycoon' games on the market today, and it's easy to see why. RCT is probably, down and away, one of the most fun and addictive of all the tycoon games. This version of RCT3 now has all the expansions included with the main game: "Roller Coaster Tycoon 3," "RCT3: Soaked!", and "RCT3: Wild!".

I've played all three - RCT1, RCT2, and now RCT3. I enjoy all of the franchise. I've always wondered what it would be like to BE Walt Disney - even if it's just in a game. And Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 Platinum does not disappoint.

Although the interface isn't quite as good as is on Roller Coaster Tycoon 2, it's still usable once you get over the rather kiddiefied look. It's the three dimensional look that gives this game a fresh slant to earlier versions. And the new coaster cam adds a bit of a thrill, although I myself only found myself using it infrequently at best.

RCT3 itself adds the coaster cam and three dimensional look and feel. RCT3: Soaked adds water park features, and RCT3: Wild adds a bit of Zoo Tycoon to RCT3. The customers look like "The Sims," and there's now obvious older and younger customers, and you must strike a balance of pleasing both.

I enjoyed my adventures with RCT3 very much. It can be very addictive. Just a little tweak can increase your park's success - or cause your failure. The scenarios are numerous, and the new three challenge in one scenario feature was a nice touch, even though I thought that some of them were a little too easy to reach the top.

The scenarios range from the tutorials (highly useful, even if you've played other Tycoon games), beginners scenarios, advanced scenarios and expert scenarios as well as a couple "Real" parks.

The new Fireworks shows feature is nice, but I found designing your own to be a bit time consuming, not to mention in-game expensive for the small return you get.

The new VIP guest feature is also a nice touch. Please the VIP, and you often get a nice bonus that lets you finish that roller coaster that you were building, or add other new features to your park.

The Coaster Design 'sandbox' feature lets you design and test coasters without using a park or scenario. This is a nice touch, and it was very helpful to be able to see what features of the roller coasters added which excitement level, what nausea level (yes, peeps still barf! :-) and what features add or subtract from those figures.

But I find myself drawn back to RCT2 over and over again. RCT3's building features are not as good as RCT2's were, and there are nowhere near as many fan-created rides, scenarios, or sets (whole parks) as there are for RCT2. Building water park items, such as dinghy slides, is now more difficult, since they must end in a swimming pool complex.

Although I'd recommend this game, even to RCT die-hards, if you already =really= enjoy RCT2, you will probably be disappointed by RCT3. And it's really recommended to newbies, especially since they finally got the game and expansions in one pack. Although Chris Sawyer denies working on RCT4, my guess is that you'll see it eventually. Until then, Happy Tycooning!
on November 24, 2010
Platform for Display: PC DownloadVerified Purchase
I read a lot of reviews about this game not running properly on windows 7 so before I paid for it and downloaded it I downloaded the demo from the developer website to try it out. The demo worked fine so I purchased and installed the game and it works perfectly. The game comes with the original roller coaster tycoon 3 along with 2 expansion packs - soaked and wild. This means a lot of scenarios and a lot more rides to choose from than if you were just playing the original version. I haven't played too much with the wild expansion (which basically lets you incorporate a zoo into your park) but I have played with the soaked expansion and it is a lot of fun. Overall this game is great and I recommend it to anyone who likes to play simulation games. If you are unsure about whether the game will work on your system, I suggest doing what I did and trying the demo before purchasing!
on February 10, 2011
Platform for Display: PC DownloadVerified Purchase
I decided to write this review to clarify a few things that people may largely misunderstand.

First thing that I feel people need to know is that the online download for this game is a wonderful option. First off you can download it instantly and for game downloads Amazon says the following: "You can install [a game] an unlimited number of times for personal use, however additional copies of the game for friends or family must be purchased separately." So there is no real reason to own the disks. Your game remains in your amazon account forever and you can access it from any computer you want. Also the two expansion packs are downloaded instantly and pre-incorporated into the game so that saves some headaches if you aren't very good with computers.

Secondly, I have a windows 7 computer and it works wonderfully on my machine, although I know many people have been having problems running it on a similar system. But as I decided even if it wouldn't work on my computer I could still install it on other computers I use for free and play it on them so I figured I'd be fine.

Now about the game: I used to own Roller Coaster Tycoon Two and played it all the time. I am a college student and purchased this game because I was getting sick of all the first person shooter games played on campus. This game is a wonderful substitute and the graphics are ahead of it's time (that being 2005). You can pan around the screen very easily and change your angle at anytime. You can zoom in so close to people that they take up the whole screen and the graphics remain intact. The Soaked expansion pack is so fun, you can build pools at different levels and connect them with pool-walks and you have tons of options for water slides and the sort.

Ultimately this is an amazing game that is well worth the money and I feel that almost any age can understand it and enjoy it with little ease!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 17, 2010
Platform for Display: PCVerified Purchase
I have been a Tycoon fan for years, i have played 1, 2 and 3 in the series.
My review of this game is pretty bold, but i feel that it should be said, for people interested in purchasing this one.
I found that this game had a lot of the bells and whistles as the others, there are many new features that make the game enjoyable.
You can build and ride your own creations, that is a plus i must say, you can load and enjoy your own music tracks on the rides as well.
There are many new coasters and thrill rides ext, also many new water rides and themes to make your park look like the real thing.
Shops and stalls have been updated as well and play a key role in your over all park value as they always have.
Cons= I found that even though the user interface on this one is simplified, it still is hair pulling in parts if you don't know exactly what to do.
Example,it can be a pickle just to get your peeps to a pool area via a walk way, the mix master display (fireworks), is a cool new option if you can figure out how to make it work!
Over all the game runs pretty well the same as others, just has more detailed options that you can choose from.
I strongly DO NOT recommend this game to anyone that has never played any of the previous series's, you indeed will be lost in many areas.
I DO recommend that you play RCT 2, it has more of a solid basic layout and you want be confused by many of the detailed options that this one offers.
In closing for the die hard RCT fans that are already aged on the principle of the game it is worth checking out, if this is your first time playing RCT i would recommend you start out with one of the earlier ones.
But then again there are certain things in this one that you just have to figure out on your own.
This is my review, but it's your dime so you should be the judge.

Happy Gaming!
on January 17, 2007
Platform for Display: PC
I loved Rollercoaster Tycoon, and RCT2. I was skeptical about the change to 3D and thought the "Ride Your Ride" tool was pretty lame. However, this game does not disapoint. There are a TON of new features added, the graphics are very appealing, and the Platinum Edition is very worthwhile. I only have two complaints with this game. First of all, the interface is clunky. Once you get used to it, it's not bad, but it does not flow as smoothly or intuatively as the previous RCT games. Second, the scenarios are too easy. Getting Tycoon on most of the levels is barely challenging and, after doing about half the scenarios, I find that the biggest challenge is having the patience to wait for enough money to build rollercoasters. They added time compression though, so you don't have to wait as long as you did in the older games. The "Ride the Rides" feature turned out to be very fun, it used to be satisfying to create a ride with Excitement of 8 or higher. It is so much more satisfying to see what the guests see on that ride. Overall, a worthwhile game, but not perfect.
on September 7, 2008
Platform for Display: PC
I have run all 3 versions of Roller Coaster Tycoon and this last version takes most of the problems and glitches that were in the first release and either corrects them or gets rid of them. At the same time though, it also created some new ones. For instance in the original release the gargoyle statues that are animated to lean forward and shoot fire out of their mouths, no longer have the fire, they just lean forward and open their mouths but nothing comes out. It also has combined the two expansion packs (Wild and Soaked) onto the same disc so all games are installed at the same time.

A work of caution though. This is a very high end graphic and memory heavy game. You really need a top line machine with lots of Ram memory, a fast processor and a high end graphics card with lots of memory and very fast screen rendering. If you try to run this on a standard system it will slow down as you add rides and scenery to the point where it's impossible to use. And it doesn't run with Windows Vista. XP Pro is the best version to run this game on.

The other thing that was left intact is the "hidden" Flying Camera program so that after you have finished builing your creation using the Scenario Editor you can bring up this program and then plot out a camera route through and around your Park then record it to your hard drive. It does take a long time though so keep your camera routes short. A 3 minute shoot will take about 3 hours to render when when recording as it shoots 1 frame at a time. The resulting video is Hi Res but there is no sound. You can then use Movie Maker or some other Movie Creator program to input these files, put them together with tranistion effect, ass sound or music and save the resulting movie to disc then use other programs to burn a DVD to play on your TV to show off your Park. I have used this program to make DVD's of my Neverland Resort, Magical World of Harry Potter and several others I have created over the past few years. It's a lot of hard work but the results are more than worth it.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon May 10, 2007
Platform for Display: PC
I purchased the initial roller coaster tycoon when it debut and I loved it. I played it off and on for many years and finally reached the Tycoon level (the last game) and thought I must get RCT3. I bought that several years after it was released and was extremely impressed with all the stuff you can do and how you can control pretty much every aspect of your park. It is really fun and really easy to maneuver around. Later my husband bought me the platinum pack with has the two expansions (Soaked and Wild). I did notice there was not a manual in the box like there was for the original RCT3. This book as a lot of tips and is something that is nice to have.

You will like this game for sure!
on January 21, 2011
Platform for Display: PC DownloadVerified Purchase
This is once again another great version of the popular RollerCoaster Tycoon franchise.

I played this franchise back when it was just Rollercoaster Tycoon. Once again they managed to create a great game. I bought this game out of a bit of nostalgia and as a way to kill time on a break home from college. Yes I am a college student playing this game and no thats not weird, in fact many students still play games of this nature.

This game provides a huge amount of fun for a cheap price. The only issue is that when it transitions to nighttime in the game the game tends to lag, or slow down quite a bit. Other than that the gameplay is great.

I am running this game on a laptop running windows 7. I know there has been some question as to wether it would run in windows 7. I never found a good answer to this question but decided to take a chance on it. In the end all worked out great as the game installed easily and runs very well.

The game doesn't even begin to tax my laptop computer in terms of performance. (2.53ghz i5, 1gb video card, 4gb ram) The game runs smoothly even on the integrated intel graphics. In fact it rates my lower power integrated graphics as extreme settings, who knew integrated laptop graphics could qualify as extreme.
on July 17, 2007
Platform for Display: PC
By far the best, most realistic Roller coaster tycoon yet.

I love the RCT games and bought RCT3 when it first came out a few years ago. It is much more realistic that previous RCT games and allows you much more flexibility in customizing and has more rides, more coasters, and more landscape options than the previous versions.

This game REQUIRES a very fast computer, a good graphics card, and lots of memory. It was unplayable on my old computer... long load times, long pauses, poor frame rates, etc. and I didn't play it for several months out of frustration (at the time I would have rated this game a 1). I bought a new computer last year and since then the only problem I have had is there is still about a 15-20 second load time when I select rollercoasters. I would rate this a 5.
on November 14, 2009
Platform for Display: PC
I have had this game for a couple fo years now, and i am still obsessed with it! i have played rct and rct2, but this is better than both combined! the graphics are awesome, i LOVe the rollercoaster cam mode, and its fun to have rollercoasters, thrill rides, gentle rides, junior rides, water slides, and animal exhibits! if your looking for a fun game, DEFIANTLY choose this one! it does not say that it works with vista on amazon but it does!