Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

on September 26, 2007
Well...I had this version of Roller Coaster Tycoon for my old Windows and when I got my new puter with Windows XP a couple of years ago...much to my chagrin, my Roller Coaster Tycoon did not transfer.
I had gotten this for my son to play, and he is now grown and gone. We tried other versions of Roller Coaster Tycoon...but really none were as fun as the original one.
Once he left...I had empty nest syndrome pretty badly. I looked in the stores for the original version of RCT to see if they had made it compatible with Windows XP and could not find it. But I was told it might be available online...and I was delighted when I found it on Amazon.
I ordered it and have enjoyed it immensely. I love Evergreen Gardens and I play it through and accumulate alot of money on it, then flatten it and make a Serenity Garden where I can make banners with Scriptures and everything. I make just a few rides that I really enjoy watching the workings of and then open my Serenity Park for a low fare and watch the little kids come and play in my low key Amusement Park.
I set all the rides on maintain every 10 minutes and I have plenty of maintenance men, so even the coasters rarely crash. I am a very non violent person and I don't like that feature in the scenario, so I pretty much edit it out in the way I run my parks.
It is fun for this older gal to see the kiddies play and it is a drift of imagination that seems pretty harmless to me. I just try to limit my time, so I am only truly using it for recreation and relaxation.
on January 27, 2011
I was disappointed when my computer was too advanced to run the old roller coaster tycoon. All the new versions were not as fun and had too many graphics for me. I was excited to find out that the original was available for advanced operating systems. Im running Windows 7. Every now and then the game will freeze or have an error but I can just start again and its fine. Just save your game often!
on June 25, 2006
I was most disappointed when I found I could no longer play the original game on my system and was really pleased when I saw this game for XP. I am enjoying playing it, nothing has changed and it is as much fun as the original. The only drawback is that the amounts are all in American dollars and seeing as they ship globally you would have thought there would have been a currency option. Having said that, it is still really good and I spend many happy hours in my own theme parks!
on April 14, 2013
I loved Rollercoaster Tycoon. I bought all of the first games as they came out one by one. Before they were stolen I owned an original RCT, Loopy Landscapes, and Corkscrew Follies disk.

The game came in this weird sort of cardboard sleeve that slides over the jewel case. This will inevitably be ripped and damage, and then you'll have only a jewel case with black and white graphics on it. How important that is to you is up in the air.

There's one major, major flaw with RCT Deluxe, and that will require a little bit of RCT history.

There's a fantastic fan patch called Drexler that lets you run custom scenarios. A fan created the "sandbox mode" that some of us wanted. A big, green space with nearly unlimited money. It made custom scenarios in Rollercoaster Tycoon 1 possible.

The Drexler patch will NOT work with RCT Deluxe. The last few patches made to the game (and this disk has all of the latest patches) were made solely to obfuscate code further and make it more difficult for stuff like Drexler to happen. Drexler was never updated after these last few patches.

If you care about being able to do custom games in Rollercoaster Tycoon 1 - if you care about modding and stuff like that - this is not the game to buy. Try to find an older copy compatible with Drexler.

Chris Sawyer (the creator of RCT) said that he "didn't intend" for us to play with a sandbox mode. I (and many other gamers) say that we'll figure out how we want to play our games, thank you very much. I'd have very much liked to see how he would have handled the even greater and more expansive modding community of today. Go ride a Powered Launch off the tracks, Chris. :P
on January 17, 2014
This game is addictive and will keep you hooked for quite some time.

Though after completing all of the scenarios for the original game and most of them for Corkscrew Follies, it began to feel somewhat repetitive.

All the scenarios boil down to one of several goals:

1. (Most common)
Get X guests in your Park by Year X (say 2000 guests by year 4, 1400 guests by year 3) with park rating of 600

These can be fun but it's the same basic game every time... you just have to deal with new landscape challenges and occasionally they will add in some more things to make it harder... like you can't build above tree height, or you can't advertise for your park.

It would have been nice if some of the park rating goals were 800... in most cases, 600 is too easy.

2. Get a park value of $X by Year X

Usually easier than the "number of guests" types... you will usually find yourself reaching these goal and become bored waiting for the years to pass. Park value type goals are easier than guest totals, because the satisfaction of the guest is not as important, and your goal is basically to build as much as you can to get park value up.

That's pretty much it for the original game. The expansions change it up (a little)

Build 10 coasters with an excitement rating of (6 or higher, usually)
Complete 5 partially built coasters (Loopy Landscapes)
Get $X in monthly income (Loopy Landscapes)

So there does get to be a little more variety for the expansions. I personally don't really like the completing partially-built coasters. I should give those a chance but so far I haven't enjoyed them as much.

Another reason this isn't a 5-star game are some technical issues... minor ones. When you close the game or minimize, you have to right click or else your mouse won't click on anything... not until you right click. Also on occasion the graphics converting from my usual 1680x1050 to the 640x480 for the game can be glitchy.

For some reason I prefer 640x480 for this game. I don't like changing it.
on August 27, 2006
This game is the original by Chris Sawyer. My son and I have played it for years. It teaches strategic thinking, among other things. It has wonderful visualization facilities. Tremendous fun.
on October 10, 2007
What can I say that the other reviewers haven't said already? Rollercoaster Tycoon is a blast! It's one of the best timesucking games ever.

This Deluxe pack contains the original Rollercoaster Tycoon and its two really, really fun expansions! It's bundled together well in that you only load one program to access all three, and it runs very well on Windows XP. I've only had a few issues with it erroring out on me, but that's because I play it on a lower resolution and switch between screens a lot. That isn't common though; and I just save more often.

Highly recommended as a fun, relaxing game! There are hours and hours (more like days and weeks) of gameplay in this little package. Great price for a great product.
on December 11, 2012
I purchased this a while ago but I have been playing it ever since it came to my door and it really is a good flashback from back in the day when it first came out. No complaints and it was also on time with no damage to it.
on February 25, 2013
I love these three games more then RC2 and 3. I was so disappointed when the computer systems got so advanced that the original versions I purchased years ago no longer worked. When I saw this one, I jumped at the opportunity to purchase it and I've been playing every day! Colorful, fun, not complicated or stressful. Good for young and old (and middle aged like me). I totally recommend this!
on September 30, 2008
Here's a game that will eat your time like no other. RollerCoaster Tycoon puts you in charge of a theme park, and you have to build it from empty fields to thriving business by yourself. It's almost instantly accessable to gamers of all ages. The graphics are clean and bright, the sound design spot-on, and addictiveness level is unmatched. The interface suffers in some areas (especially while designing new rollercoasters) but it gets the job done.

The expansions (bundled with the original game in RCT Deluxe) bring more of everything: more rides, more themes, more shops, and more scenarios. They blend seamlessly with the original game to simply provide a more well-rounded experience. The scenarios are particularly well done as they each come with unique and varied objectives - a welcome change from the "build a park, then build another park" progression offered by the first release.

One of my biggest problems with most Tycoon games is scenario objectives that say "complete X and Y in Z years", and then force you to wait around for the time to pass even though you've finished the goal. If they'd stop as soon as you did what you were supposed to, it would be infinitely better. But instead I completed scenarios quickly and then had to waste a bunch of time before moving on to the next area.

One other frustration of the game is that designing rides can be super-costly, since you have to build and test while your simulation is running. Poor design or mistakes suck up cash as you have to constantly backtrack and lay new track to fix problems. RCT2 alleviates this somewhat by allowing you to design coasters outside of the game and then your mistakes don't cost you money.

That said, I'd definitely recommend this game - it's really great and a lot of fun, and very addicting for the first several scenarios. It would be especially good for young children as it's largely nonviolent, doesn't have a very steep learning curve, and is a rather 'cute' game. But it's not worth beating all the levels and I imagine most gamers will grow bored before they exhaust everything the game has to offer.

See 1 answered question