Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Rolls URT5 Universal Rack Tray, 16 Gauge Steel Chassis, 1U
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on June 7, 2011
Over the years, I have transistioned from loud, hearing-wrecking wedge monitors to isolating full headphones to in-ear monitors. As a singing drummer, monitoring vocals (mine and everyone else's) as well as whatever else I can get from a monitor mix has always been a challenge. A few years ago, I started using a Mackie 1202-VLZ mixer, with an old DBX compressor/limiter and a complicated system of patch cables to get the desired audio (which sometimes included a click track) into my Shure in-ear monitors. This worked well, but required a lot of stuff to carry around, and a lot of time to set up and tear down.

About a year ago, I began to look around for an easier solution, and found the Rolls PM50S Personal Monitor Amplifier System. I was familiar with the Rolls line, as I have worked at radio stations that used their other headphone amplifiers, AM/FM receivers and other gear. I ordered one, and when it arrived, I was amazed at how compact--yet well-built--the unit is! The box is metal, not plastic. At first, the "jumpers" for changing inputs from stereo to mono, turning phantom power on/off, etc., seemed a little strange, but after reading more on their website about why they use jumpers instead of switches (the recessed jumpers are much less prone to breaking compared to switches), it made sense. I just carry some small needle-nosed pliers with me, in the rare event that I might need to alter a setting.

As a singing drummer, being able to quickly use the "more me" feature to boost or cut my vocal level balance against the monitor input is a God-send! The Line Input uses a 1/4-inch jack, but I have an XLR female-to-phone plug male adapter, allowing me to get a mix back from the board regardless of the output configuration. For some gigs, I also use a click track (which comes from the Tempo app on my iPhone these days!). I simply plug the 1/8-inch-to 1/4-inch stereo patch cable from my iPhone output into the Instrument input on the Rolls, and with the input on that set to mono, I get a great click track feed with its own independent level!

As for set-up/tear-down, I have gone from carrying around the Mackie (in a carry-on suitcase bag!) and a bunch of cables, to a very compact rig: I bought one of those aluminum briefcases they sell for around $25 at Harbor Freight Tools that has the customizable foam rubber cushioning on the inside. I created places to store the PM50S, AC adapter, a few cables, my Shure SM-58 bag, and a 20-foot XLR cable (coiled up after the gig). The case only weighs about 5 lbs., and it has everything in one case for my entire monitoring setup! Talk about easy!

I have had to get used to not having any compression or limiting, but that just requires some careful level-setting on my part. I believe Rolls makes a similar-sized compressor/limiter unit to work with the PM50S, and I may order one down the road; but for now, I give this 5 stars. It does what I need it to do, the sound quality is great, and the ease of carrying, setup and tear-down has made a big difference in the amount of time I spend assembling and disassembling my monitoring system. I highly recommend it to any gigging musician who doesn't have the big $$$ to spend just to be able to hear properly on stage!
on November 13, 2014
***Edit*** My review below was for a Rolls PM50S Personal Monitor. At some point the product page has been changed to a different product all together. It looks like a nice try, but I've never owned one.

I use this handy dandy gadget to create my own, personalized monitor mix on stage at a super-low cost. With an extremely limited number of monitors channels and even more limited budget, this allows me to mix in my own instrument to my liking into a solid base mix.
on March 31, 2014
Amazing. helped me out with personal monitoring for the piano and the electric drumkit. Has a lot of headroom. You could get a mono feed through the mic input or a mono / stereo feed through the monitor input.
I purchased 2 and connected both to a presonus studio live 16.4.2. I use 2 1/4 inch mono cable and a Y splitter 2 female to 1 stereo male to get a stereo sound from the auxes. The second one because I did not have 2 1/4 inch cables yet, used a 1/4 inch male to male cable and and a converter of 1/4 inch female to male XLR. Than I connected an XLR cable that goes in the mic input. Not the best setup, but it worked. Till I get the 2 1/4 inch cables.

Feels great but not heavy and not big. Size is as big as an AppleTV. It fits in your palm of hand.

Cons: switching pins on the side could have been a switch instead of pulling a plastic clip out. That's the only downside.
on January 2, 2015
I use this to monitor my vocals when performing live and at practice and it does the job beautifully. It gives you total control over how much you want to mix in, and it sounds great. I'm still searching for the perfect earbud to use with it, but that doesn't detract from this unit.
on January 8, 2015
Was looking for an inexpensive way to have an in ear monitor for our church drummer. This works amazingly well. We set him up with a separately line from the sound board and he is thrilled to hear what he needs to lay down a solid beat.
on January 5, 2013
Have this installed on my pedalboard. I play modern praise music; most of the time we use the Aviom system, but the biggest challenge is that no matter how much tweaking we do during run-through, during the service I need "more-me" in the mix. I don't want to turn up the overall mix, as my ears have been punished enough ;-), so this let's me turn down the master volume on the Aviom, while keeping the bass volume constant.
I run the bass into the mic channel, as I have a DI out on my VT Bass Deluxe, and run the Aviom out into the Monitor in.
The product works great, is practically silent, and is built like a tank. My only critique is that the power jack is a little loose, so sometimes I have to plug it in when I find the system is not working. It would be great if this had one of those little strain relief thingees that I've seen on other equipment with DC inputs (e.g. Roland/Boss).
Otherwise, great product that saves my ears!
on March 9, 2013
I am using this type of device to take the DI output from an Aguilar Bass amp, and use it as a headphone monitor. The Rolls works pretty well, but the Behringer MA400 Monitor Headphone Amplifier works much better. The difference is that the Behringer has switches to select mono or stereo and Ground Lift; the Rolls has little tiny thingies you have to pull out and change with needle nose pliers or tweezers. The price is abut the same, and the Behringer is much more user-friendly.
on January 26, 2015
This is a nice inexpensive way to have a personal monitor on stage. I'm using it to hear my acoustic guitar. I am giving it only 3 stars because the monitor mix can't be turned down. There is a monitor knob, but it doesn't have any effect, the monitor feed stays the same.
on June 9, 2014
This has been a good solution for a church like ours on a budget. Want in-ears? Don't have the $$ to spend on a wireless in ear system that could cost hundreds if not thousands per person to get? Then this is your next best option. I literally have all of my musicians and singers on these and it has done wonders to help clean up our stage sound, and ultimately the room sound.

Most of our monitor battles are gone (you'll always have a few with anyone who has to share a mix), but this system gives you the ability to create an overarching mix, and then have your voice or instrument run separately to create a mostly personal mix.

I would recommend this to anyone working on an extreme budget but wanting to replace those floor wedges with an in ear solution.

Our next purchase will be some really nice earbuds.

P.S. I would recommend for singers - to purchase the Rolls in-ear monitor belt clips, and for musicians to get a headphone extension cable they can tape or strap to their instrument cable to create what I call a "super cable" which is basically your instrument cable and headphone extension cable running together.
on May 2, 2011
I'm a working musician with a tiny budget, who needed a very inexpensive and simple solution to hearing my own vocals and the total music mix at gigs. Forget the wireless systems, which start in the mid-hundreds and go into the thousands. I work with backing tracks which, along with my vocal and sax mics, are fed into a pre-amp, power amp, and a PA speaker. The headphones jack on my preamp feeds the Rolls' "monitor" input, and I listen to the Rolls' output via a single combined-stereo right earbud. (You can also monitor the mike separate from the mix, as the PM50S has a dedicated mic input with it's own output volume control.) I just started using the system last weekend and it works fabulously. Instead of straining to hear my voice and my tracks, and wondering if I'm singing in tune, I now have a crystal-clear mix going into my right ear and I can just relax and concentrate on my performances. Now I must say, I stand in 1 spot when I perform, so for me the wire is not an issue-- If your performance involves bopping around on stage or mixing with your audience, obviously a wired monitor ain't gonna cut it. But it's a God-send for me: It's a small box, just sits on top of my equipment stack and takes 10 seconds to plug in, set up and go. If you're a working musician and want a simple, cheap solution to hearing yourself on stage, and you don't mind a wire, this will be the best $50 you'll ever spend!