5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product
For the money, this product far exceeded my expectations. Providing two types of outputs and the amplification needed to convert those old albums to a output level that I could accurately recorded them with my computer's sound card. Converted 2 dozen albums now and people tell me they like the sound better then the original CD pressings.
Published on November 9, 2006 by L. Anderson

3.0 out of 5 stars Gets the job done, but is not audiophile quality
Published on December 19, 2009 by Tube Tone 6L6

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, November 9, 2006
L. Anderson (Boulder, Colorado United States) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars versatile, January 14, 2007
This review is from: Rolls VP29 - Phono preamplifier (Electronics)
The Rolls VP29 hooked up easily and works great. The fact that it has RCA as well as headphone jack outputs is a great feature, and RIAA curve adjustment for optimal sound quality coming from your record player. I also liked that it has a screw for my record player to be grounded to - a feature that not all preamps I've looked at had.
All together a failry good looking (in a techie way), compact design that most importantly sounds great.
*update* hooked up the VP29 directly to my line-in jack on my laptop (MacBook Pro) and got a clean, full digital copy of my vinyl - beautiful. Great buy so far.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, March 19, 2013
This review is from: Rolls VP29 - Phono preamplifier (Electronics)
Just hooked up this preamp to my new 5.1 receiver that does not have phono inputs as do many new home theatre receivers. It sounds great and I'm happy so far. I had returned the Pyle PP999 that was only $15 because it didn't have the volume output like the Rolls. The only reason I subtracted 1 star is because the pic on Amazon clearly says "Made in the USA" under the Rolls product name. Mine does not say that on the preamp or on the packaging. It says in VERY small letters Murray, Utah on the packaging but I suspect that might just be the company headquarters. So I am inclined to think it's made in China but they choose not to put a sticker on it. Kind of deceptive if you ask me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Gets the job done, but is not audiophile quality, December 19, 2009
Tube Tone 6L6 (Lansdowne, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rolls VP29 - Phono preamplifier (Electronics)
I purchased this as an early xmas gift for my Grandmother who just doesn't understand how to use the full rack Denon Stereo my Grandfather purchased. A few years after his death she got a Bose Wave radio/CD player and likes it and actually uses it, but misses the vinyl in her collection. I chose the Rolls because it was small, had no dials or buttons to confuse her and I wasn't willing to pay too much for a better sounding preamp when she doesn't have the best hearing anymore (she's 84 now). It works well to connect her Denon turntable to the Bose and she seems happy with the simplicity. I personally found it to be a tad noisy and missing the clarity and depth of soundstage of my Cambridge Audio Azur 540p (phono preamp)linking my 1976 hotrodded Thorens TD 166 to my Cambridge Audio Azur 640a (amplifier)through NSM 5se's and Energy 15" sub. The Rolls is a nice solid unit that works well for the average user who occasionally pulls out a record now and then, and certainly superior to those "retro" looking oak radio/turntable combo's aimed at the nostalgic but tragically misinformed consumer, but I would not use this to pair up a serious turntable like a Thorens, Dual, Raga Pro-ject etc. to a serious receiver (and no, Sony doesn't count here.) This is for the average Joe, which is fine, because there are lots of Joe's and Joanna's out there that need to groove to their vinyl now and then, but this is not for the discerning listener and audiophile. I would give it one star more if all readers here understood beforehand that this is not a serious hi-fi unit, but I'm giving it three stars because it is in fact OK for the average Joe. If you're not too picky and just need to play some records now an then, go for it. But if you aspire to serious hi-fi and want a starter unit, I would save up another $50 bucks and go for the Cambridge Audio Azur 540p ore even $110 more for the 640p. Also, make note this Rolls is ONLY for Moving Magnet cartridges or perhaps some really high output Moving Coil cartridges like a Denon DL 160 (but then again if you're looking at a Denon DL160, you certainly want to be spending at least $150 on a preamp, period!) Hope that helps you in your decision.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job., October 16, 2013
This review is from: Rolls VP29 - Phono preamplifier (Electronics)
I don't know crap about these things, but i'll tell you what: My turntable works now and i'm happy. Plus it has a line for the ground wire thing. So that's pretty good.

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice little preamp, December 17, 2013
This review is from: Rolls VP29 - Phono preamplifier (Electronics)
I needed a simple preamp for my turntable; the Rolls VP29 fits the bill. It's small, unobtrusive, and my old turntable sounds amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just jumped into Vinyl, October 28, 2013
This review is from: Rolls VP29 - Phono preamplifier (Electronics)
I am new into the vinyl game and this phono preamp has given me no problems. It is a start preamp but a quality product in itself that has given me no problems

5.0 out of 5 stars Sounds great, October 26, 2013
This review is from: Rolls VP29 - Phono preamplifier (Electronics)
This product does exactly what it's supposed to do. I originally bought a cheaper preamp but returned it and got this one instead. The extra money was completely worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rolls VP29 Phono Preamplifier, October 5, 2012
This review is from: Rolls VP29 - Phono preamplifier (Electronics)
Several years ago I purchased a new receiver which rendered my turn table useless. After years of not being able to enjoy my vinyl I purchased the Rolls VP29 Preamp. I have been very happy with the results with only one exception. The preamp does not have an on/off switch and since I dont use the preamp very often I am left with the only option of removing the jack for the power connection. I had to locate the preamp behind the turn table so I could perform this operation each time. Small price to pay to hear my old collection. Overall I am very happy with the product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, efficient, inexpensive..., August 18, 2009
This review is from: Rolls VP29 - Phono preamplifier (Electronics)
...just plug it in and listen to your vinyl through any receiver without a phono jack. My vinyl collection has never sounded as good as it does now through my new Sony system. I don't have the software to use the preamp to convert vinyl to mp3, but I hope to work on that soon. From what other reviewers are saying that also seems to work well with this little preamp. I wanted to get the Rolls tube preamp instead of this one, but it was a bit pricey. I'm glad that I didn't decide to shell out the extra cash, becasue this little guy does the trick just fine. Reccomended.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›