The three volumes now out comprise a rich resource for students of Roman art, craftmanship, architecture and social life, due to be completed around a year from now, with the fourth and final volume covering the riches of Western Britain.' (Current Archaeology
With its high production standard, lavish paintings and other illustrations, and its list of distinguished subscribers, this volume is more than a little evocative of the monumental publications of the eighteenth-century antiquaries, who are mentioned at the start. But this is also a highly professional modern work of documentation which far surpasses many catalogues of classical art from the past half-century in its rigour and detail.' (Peter Stewart Antiquity
About the Author
David S Neal, FSA (b 1940), was first introduced to Roman mosaics and archaeology at Verulamium in 1957 while studying graphic design at Watford School of Art. In 1961 he joined the Ancient Monuments Inspectorate of the then Ministry of Works as an archaeological illustrator and for almost fifteen years supervised the archaeological drawing office. In this period one of his tasks was to record mosaics found on excavations conducted, or sponsored, by the Government. From 1963 he began his own series of excavations on Roman villas in Hertfordshire and in 1975 became a full-time archaeologist with the Department of the Environment (later English Heritage). He is now a freelance consultant. He was made a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries in 1971 and awarded a Doctor of Letters for his contribution to Romano-British villa studies in 1992. Stephen R Cosh, FSA (b 1950), studied archaeology at Reading University before embarking on a career in teaching. As with David Neal, his interests in art and archaeology led to the study of Romano-British mosaics which he has illustrated since the 1970s, soon adopting Neal's technique. He has written numerous articles on Roman mosaics, particularly the study of regional groups. He has been the Honorary Secretary of ASPROM (the Association for the Study and Preservation of Roman Mosaics) since 1993 and was elected a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries in 2002. The authors formally agreed to collaborate on the corpus in 1993.