5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Book

3.0 out of 5 stars Author a Little Mixed I[
Published on September 26, 2010 by Just Pretty Books

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Book, September 14, 2010
This review is from: Romantic Style (Hardcover)
I had been waiting for this book to be published for a long time, so I was so excited to see it on my doorstep. It's a beautiful book with absolutely stunning photographs. Lots of good decorating tips and ideas for creating a romantic, shabby-chic home. The colors are truly spectacular - pure eye candy. I only wish there had been more homes depicted -many of the same rooms are used repeatedly throughout the book. But, overall, a wonderful addition to your design library.

3.0 out of 5 stars Author a Little Mixed I[, September 26, 2010
Just Pretty Books (Maitland, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Romantic Style (Hardcover)
Although full of colorful pictures, I was very disappointed in the overall theme of the book. A lot of mixing of styles going on here, not always very effectively. I think of romantic as a little softer than the interior of the book's contents were. The front cover is misleading. If the interior of the pages looked like the front cover I would have loved it. A lot of mixing of very bright colors left me feeling that the author couldn't make up her mind quite what look she was going for. I enjoyed about a fourth of the photographs. This book was a little disappointing to me. Based on the title, I was expecting a more romantic look.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Source of Pure Eye Candy!, February 9, 2011
This review is from: Romantic Style (Hardcover)
When I opened up the box containing my copy of 'Romantic Style' I knew right away I was going to love the book! It is chalk full of gorgeous images and bright intoxicating colors galore! Pastels, hot pinks, floral patterns, chandeliers, bouquets of cut flowers, time worn well loved antique and vintage furniture as well as more modern and contemporary styles all mixed together in some of the most beautiful photos I've seen in some time! Pure eye candy! While no book can possibly please eveyone with all of the various decorating tastes out there, I'm sure this book will be enjoyed by most. When deciding to buy a book I haven't had the opportunity to browse pre-purchase I always look up the author and photographers of the book on the internet BEFORE buying. This way I am more familiar with what lies within the book and less likely to be disappointed with my purchase when it arrives at my doorstep.

2.0 out of 5 stars Romantic? Style, October 28, 2010
This review is from: Romantic Style (Hardcover)
No, no, no. Definitely NOT my romantic style. I suppose we're to believe this is some kind of NEW romantic style, with ugly bright, clashing colors and modern pieces. Give me a break and some good old-fashioned soft romantic decor. Do not judge this book by its cover which is not representative at all of what lies within its pages. This is a total mess - it looks like a graphic design student read one Ashwell book and decided to give it a go herself.

2.0 out of 5 stars If you like the cover- don't buy it, November 2, 2011
This review is from: Romantic Style (Hardcover)
There are lots of interpretations of the Romantic Style. This book certainly shares some of those. But if the look you are going for is similar to the one on the cover, this is not the book for you. For some reason, the author selected a photo that was not representative of the content.

Even accounting for the various styles, I found this book very disappointing. It just seemed like it wasn't worth the money or the time. I usually love decorating books and was sorry to see the one I chose was not one I loved.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT!, April 19, 2012
This review is from: Romantic Style (Hardcover)
I almost didn't purchase this book because there is no option to take a look inside. Luckily I was able to view it at my local book store and I immediately fell in love with the pictures!!! It's more like a Shabby Chic type book with beautiful mirrors, china, and collectibles. No, there are no rooms crammed full of roses, roses, and more roses. I think a different cover shot would have expressed the content a lot better than the one used.

4.0 out of 5 stars Romantic in the true sense of the word, March 9, 2012
Sallie Hunter (Virginia, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Romantic Style (Hardcover)
This book is not just all about flowers, frills, and pretty linens, and trinkets. It is about those things, but not only about them. In a more broad definition of the word "romantic", this book delivers on a sense of idealism and adventure. Bright colors are sometimes mixed with soft, as are dark and neon. Mod style is softened by frills, chandeliers made less pretentious by the addition of craft birds, and in general the whole fluffy, girly word of romantic style is made less saccarhine and uptight by a more casual and eclectic approach to the genre. If you are looking for rose infested decor and only that, then don't buy this. If you are looking for something more adventurous and daring, then buy Ms. Lake's romantic offering, and get lost in "romance".

5.0 out of 5 stars My absolute all-time favorite!!, April 24, 2012
This review is from: Romantic Style (Hardcover)
What can I say other than this book is my absolute all-time favorite!! I have many interior decorating books, but this one became my favorite the moment I opened it for the first time.
Before buying this book, I read the reviews from other buyers and when I saw pictures from the book online I knew I just had to have it.
And I'm so glad I bought it! Being a big fan of Rachel Ashwell, I find this book even better than the Shabby Chic books. It has more colour and more diversity and the pictures are simply wonderful. This is a book - together with Selina Lake's other book Homespun Style - I will turn to time and time again for inspiration! Thank you Selina, I love it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful!, June 21, 2014
This review is from: Romantic Style (Hardcover)
Borrowed this from the library and absolutely love it. After looking at decorating books on kitshy, collectibles, traditional and very eclectic style, this book is a breath of fresh air! Gorgeous photos, lots of ideas, and pretty pastel colors run throughout this book. Very romantic indeed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, March 26, 2014
This review is from: Romantic Style (Paperback)
Absolutely gorgeous...great pictures, ideas and easy reading - I'd certainly recommend it to all those interested in decorating...I know I'll use it again and again! I'm getting another book by her soon...and wish she'd write more! :)

Romantic Style
Romantic Style by Selina Lake (Hardcover - September 1, 2010)
Used & New from: $5.47