4.0 out of 5 stars 7th grade CA curriculum

2.0 out of 5 stars More sensationalist than accurate
Published on August 24, 2008 by Preston J. Bannard

4.0 out of 5 stars 7th grade CA curriculum, September 29, 2008
This review is from: Rome: Engineering an Empire (DVD)
I rented this video for my 7th grade son. It was interesting to see how things were accomplished by the Romans. It talked about the Roman Emperors during that time, but the engineering feats that they accomplished really kept my son's attention and helped him gain more understanding. I would highly recommend this for any 7th grader in addition to their textbook. Parents, be aware there are a couple sexual references, but shown as a historical educating perspective.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rome: Engineering a solid Foundation, April 11, 2009
This review is from: Rome: Engineering an Empire (DVD)
I used this video with my high school mythology class. Most classes are not impressed with Roman mythology since it is borrowed from the Greeks. After seeing this video, they leave with a new respect for the Roman Empire. With their engineering marvels, the Romans were too busy to come up with a good mythology.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great to see before going to Rome, January 6, 2010
This review is from: Rome: Engineering an Empire (DVD)
My boyfriend and I watched this video before going to Rome last October. It did a wonderful job introducing us to the overall timeline of Roman emperors and their architectural accomplishments. While it may not be 100% historically accurate, the very minor misrepresentations do not take away from the excellent introduction to Roman history. Since we were using it only as an introduction to Rome, all we needed were the major facts and timeline.
If you're traveling to Rome in the near future I'd HIGHLY suggest you watch this video (which you may be able to catch for free on cable TV). It was a beautiful experience to walk through the city and point at a building and say "Aren't those the markets that Damascus built for Trajan?"
The video is slightly dry and long, but it's definitely worth the time to watch.

2.0 out of 5 stars More sensationalist than accurate, August 24, 2008
This review is from: Rome: Engineering an Empire (DVD)
I don't own the DVD, but I'm watching the show on the History Channel as I write this. It certainly has its share of interesting tidbits, especially when discussing Roman engineering and architecture. Unfortunately, it clearly values sensationalism over accuracy in retelling the history - for example, it states that Nero was the prime suspect for starting the Great Fire of Rome, retelling the story about him playing the lyre ("fiddling") while Rome burned. However, the most reliable Roman historian, Tacitus, who was alive during the fire and who generally was anti-Nero, informs us that Nero wasn't even in Rome when the Great Fire started (and even praises his reactions to the fire); as this wouldn't fit in with the overly simplistic portrait the show paints of Nero, though, it is not mentioned. When a show makes mistakes such as these, common knowledge among Roman historians and easily researched, it is difficult to trust any of the history it relates. Most of the commentary by experts is fairly basic, with little that is particularly insightful or thought-provoking.

To sum up, the program is fairly strong when covering the specific engineering feats, but unreliable whenever it moves to Roman history and culture.

4.0 out of 5 stars Liked it!, March 24, 2014
This review is from: Rome: Engineering an Empire (DVD)
Enjoyed the video. It helped my students understand the great things that Rome left behind and helped bridge our Rome unit into our Feudalism unit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and informative!, December 10, 2013
This review is from: Rome: Engineering an Empire (DVD)
Saw this on television and purchased it after traveling to Rome. Wish I would have had it before. It was thorough and comprehensive. If you want to know what lies beneath Rome- this is the DVD for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent -, July 18, 2013
This review is from: Rome: Engineering an Empire (DVD)
I was amazed by the feats depicted in this DVD. The first depicted was building a 1,000 foot wooden bridge over the Rhine in just ten days that allowed Caesar's legions to cross. Then came construction of the well-known cobblestone roads of the Roman Empire - laid straight as could be with the aid of their early surveying tools. Roman aqueducts also were built in straight lines, tunneling through mountains and bridging valleys using arches to limit the amount of material needed. A key component - Rome's unique cement that was much stronger than the version used elsewhere at the time. Building the Colosseum, the Forum, and Hadrian's Wall across Northern Britain were also covered, all sandwiched in-between a long list of murders that targeted its emperors, starting with Caesar.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful, Intriguing history of some of Rome's great Structures, March 10, 2013
This review is from: Rome: Engineering an Empire (DVD)
I know that there exists a longer review of the history of Rome's buildings and architecture, yet this relatively short documentery does an excellent job at quickly presenting some of the great masterpieces. I thought it was all was handled deftly, and with insight. Further, it was a delight seeing former actor turned historian, Peter Weller, adding commentary. And this is not at all just for elementary school students; as with most history channel specials, it is meant for the general layman. A typically excellent history channel presentation!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for middle school history students, August 18, 2011
This review is from: Rome: Engineering an Empire (DVD)
This video is an excellent way to get students engaged in learning about history. My classes have been enthralled with all the intrigue and engineering feats explained in this video. Yes, it is bloody. Yes, it does sensationalize history. However, this video makes history entertaining and fascinating. I would not recommend it for young children, but middle school students learn about Rome in 6th and 7th grade, so this video is perfect as a companion to textbook learning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome documentary. I am amaze in how advance the ..., July 23, 2014
This review is from: Rome: Engineering an Empire (DVD)
Awesome documentary. I am amaze in how advance the Romans were. I teach World History and every time I show my students this documentary they are shock in how advance the Roman civilization was. Plus RoboCop himself is the narrator.

Rome: Engineering an Empire
Rome: Engineering an Empire by Peter Weller (DVD - 2007)
Used & New from: $17.99