Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Romy And Michele's High School Reunion
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Billy Talent Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

VINE VOICEon March 22, 2008
Who doesn't want to go to their high school reunion, and show everyone they look better then they did then with success beyond anyone's dreams? This laugh out loud satire of course takes it to the extreme, but it is a fun movie. As the movie switches back and forth between the present and the past, we see how they were tortured in high school. Mira Sorvino and Lisa Kudrow act well together with great screen presence. The supporting cast is priceless! Well done comedy!
on August 25, 2006
Love that quote. I actually had mono in college and lost about 10 pounds, but I wouldn't recommend it as a diet. Anyway, my college roommate and I would watch this movie when fighting stress, trying to hide from stupid people at college, and for relaxation (which means that we watched it about every other week). A most necessary escapism!

The opening scene, in which R & M are making fun of "Pretty Woman" ("As if the salesgirls there aren't bigger whores than she is"...."i get so happy when they let her shop!") is pretty much evocative of the whole movie - comparing themselves with other women, shopping for jobs and men.

Another great scene is when they're at the club, looking for suitable men, and Romy gets away from one guy with the excuse, "I cut my foot before, and my shoe is filling up with blood."

A wonderful movie in general, especially for individualists who were never part of cliques, who despise people that still grade others with shallow high school hierarchy systems.

Laugh outloud funny, and Janeane Garafalo's character is a perfectly independent blend of bitterness, sarcasm, and bitchiness. "This dress exacerbates the genetic betrayal that is my legacy."

Especially enjoyed the 80s high school flashbacks. Dressing like Madonna for the prom, happily basking in their fashion skills and originality (but of course Billy had to ruin it). When one of the A-list crowd put the magnets on Romy's back, it was so tragic. As Michele said later, "You couldn't help that you had scoliosis!" Duh! Bullies who pick on people for traits that they cannot change should be dragged out into the street and shot (Garfield used to say that, I believe).

The reunion itself is both sad and a relief. The post-it notes lie was taken advantage of by the knocked-up Chrissy, who should be a laughingstock herself just for being pregnant and having a husband who's an alcoholic and manwhore (and who was never cute, in my opinion). Well, she does end up a laughingstock by the end of the movie, when the wind from the helicopter blows up her dress. Ha!

Also, Chrissy never satisfied her dreams of becoming a news anchorwoman/weatherwoman because of marrying early (which is rarely a smart idea), effectively forcing herself into a little hole - unlike Romy and Michele, who have lived as they wanted to live, have had fun even though they aren't "successful" in the eyes of the world.
[...]
44 comments| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon September 2, 2004
Mira Sorvino and Lisa Kudrow are Romy and Michelle, two ditzy blonde friends who live together in LA. When Romy runs into a high school classmate (Jeanne Garofalo, at her finest) the two women decide to attend their tenth high school reunion. Michelle and Romy decide to fabricate lives for themselves- successful careers, boyfriends, etc., to impress the people they went to high school with.

Using "like" after "like every "like" word "like," the two drive a Jaguar from LA to Arizona, reliving memories from the past- including old crushes and avoiding the "A" crowd of popular girls. While at the reunion, a lot of things (some of them improbable, to be sure) occur.

Although not of the highest calibre, this movie is extraordinarily funny, light comedy. It reminds us of what was good (or bad) about our high school years, while making us laugh at the same time about the foibles of the past.
on October 18, 2000
Okay, it doesn't matter that I've seen this movie at least 36 times, I never get tired of plugging it.
Romy and Michele are invited to their 10-year High School Reunion. But when they start filling out their questionnaire ("They want to know what we've been doing for the past ten years.") they realize their lives aren't all that glamorous after all. So they devise a little scheme, making up a story involving the invention (and design!) of Post-It Notes. Thus spawns the great debate: Who's the Mary and who's the Rhoda.
Of course nothing goes according to plan, and the two decide to part ways once they arrive at their reunion back at Sagebrush High in Tucson, Arizona ("This town is, like, so unhip!" "Oh, I know!")
Despite the lengthy dream sequence in the middle of the movie, it made me wonder which group I belonged to in High School. Definitely not the A group. Lisa Kudrow was made to play Michele, the half-wit blonde with a heart of gold. Mira Sorvino was just as convincing as her best friend forever, Romy. The two could only be upstaged by the inimitable Janeane Garofalo. Throw in the perky Toby Walters (played to a "T" by Camryn Manheim) and Alan Cumming as the "pocket-protector" geek who constantly lusts after Michele and you have one cute story.
Of course, no matter how much I like this film, the cheesy dance sequence towards the end always makes me cringe. But it's still cute nevertheless. When I want to reminisce of my own 80's high school days, I'll pop in this video and wax nostalgic.
on August 10, 2012
I was so looking forward to getting this movie on Blu-Ray to add to my "Weekend Party Movies" collection, and now that I've got it, and watched it, I am very disappointed with the picture quality. 1080p, High Definition? I don't think so. The quality here looks like a typical 480p standard DVD.

Now, it may be an improvement over the previous DVD release, but it just doesn't look like they applied any effort to sharpen the imaging in the film. Everything still has that slight soft blurring that you generally see with your average DVD's.

This Blu-Ray film is released by Touchstone Home Entertainment. They haven't released a lot of Blu-Ray films yet. The only other Touchstone film I have on Blu-Ray is "Pearl Harbor."

Anyway, I'll be watching this Blu-Ray only on my 32" TV, where I watch only my standard DVD's, because a smaller screen gives a bad picture a better chance of looking improved. This is the first Blu-Ray disc that I've bought where I have to make that decision. This Blu-Ray disc of "Romy and Michele's High School Reunion" just doesn't look good on a larger TV.

Maybe they'll remaster this film better when they re-release it as a 20th Anniversary Edition. Somehow, I see that coming as a profitable intention on their part.
on August 17, 2000
Watching this movie brought so many memories of high school. I graduated in 1987, and also had my 10th reunion when this movie came out. I identify with the characters' Romy and Michele in the loner way, in the way that they always wanted to be accepted by their peers, and were tortured repeatedly by the "A" group of their class. IT is great hearing all the music again too that I listened to back in my high school days. This is a light hearted film, that shouldn't be taken too seriously. It has a lot of great dialogue, and the best acting nod has to go to Alan Cumming as Sandy Frink. He is an extremely talented and versatile actor. He will make you laugh in this movie. Both Lisa Kudrow and Mira Sorvino are very funny and very believable as the "airheads" Romy and Michele. Janine Garofelo plays the "loner" Heather Mooney. She is hysterical in this film. This film is in my video library and it's fun watching it again and again. It's a great light hearted comedy, and although I think they could have done more with the ending, it was a cool ending. If you are 31 years old(male or female), and feeling nostalgic for the high school days, rent Romy and Michele.
on March 7, 2011
I would have to say it goes against all common sense to think this movie is great. BUT I DONT CARE!! This movie is awesome!! It had been 13 years since I had last seen it and I remembered it being hilarious and very out-there. I was hoping after all these years that I wouldn't be disappointed. And I wasn't in the least. In fact it was better than I remembered and I also discovered a new found liking for the comedy style of Jeneane Garofalo who plays Heather Mooney. Who is just great in this movie. Ramone is also a riot along with the Smoking Cowboy and of course Toby. People I didn't truely appreciate the first time around. Of course it's a corny movie but what the hell, GO FOR IT!! I did and I don't regret it one bit. Did I mention how great the soundtrack is?!
on August 18, 2012
This film I find very entertaining. Even 15 years later, there is a lot to love about it. Unfortunately, the Blu-ray version leaves much to be desired. Clunky menus and the sharpness of the transfer do not improve with this edition. There is a fun "making of" video that was probably produced at the time of the production. Otherwise, the features don't really stand out. Yet, if your VHS or DVD of this movie are worn out, I would upgrade. Otherwise, this looks like the ancient flip phone Lisa Kudrow's character muses over before they drive to Tucson.
on December 14, 2015
I don't buy movies. If it isn't on Netflix, Hulu, etc, I usually don't bother. And this movie, I have purchased at least three times in my life (VHS, DVD, WS DVD/HD). However, when it popped up as a suggestion, I figured why not have it in my digital library. This has been my all time favorite movie ever since it's release. Can't explain exactly why, but it just makes me feel good to watch it. there is a innocent brilliance in this story. The journey of Romy and Michelle reminds me of a study in eastern philosophy. In as much as I enjoyed "the tao of pooh", I believe a similar case study could be utilized to showcase jewels of wisdom from this feature.
on May 29, 2016
A fun slapstick film about a harmless lie turned ugly. Who doesn't want to show up to their Reunion being better off than they really are? Some people go on to do great things while the rest of us are left to just carry on. I found the movie very entertaining and I wish there was more from this duo. It had me rolling a few times and while unbelievable at times, was still so believable lol You can't be serious ALL THE TIME and this movie proves that you don't have to be and thats ...OK