Published on June 4, 2012 by snakeriverhombre

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars
Good
Published 3 months ago by Thomas longacre

5.0 out of 5 stars To all Ron Paul supporters out there who have read all of Ron's books and others, this book was a complete delight to read!!a, June 4, 2012
I was very skeptical about this book since I've read all of Ron Paul's books and followed the movement fanatically ever since 2007, so I didn't think this book could tell me anything I didn't already know, nor get me looking at a ton of stuff I had no idea about, but I'm here to tell you that's what it did!! I just bought the book to support a guy who was writing about Ron Paul since I'd seen the authors interviews on Reason TV and he seemed like a straight shooter, who might of wrote a pretty good book. I was skeptical but I bought it on my iPhone and before I knew it I was hooked, learned tons of stuff I didn't even know, and was quite sad when it ended!! I highly recommend this book, and if you are a Ron Paul fan it's a must read!! Absolute great read, and it got me looking at guys like Lysander Spooner, and other non establishment candidates and how they were treated by the machine. JCM

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable, May 27, 2012
This book is a great description of the Ron Paul movement for relative newcomers. Brian Doherty gives the background story of Ron Paul's congressional runs as well as his first stab as the Presidency in the libertarian party.

Doherty is one of us in describing Ron's impact in the political environment. A few times, supporters will find themselves laughing out loud at their own level of intense loyalty to Ron Paul as the author describes the passion of his followers.

One particularly interesting discussion in the book surrounds Peter Thiel and his sponsorship of the Seasteading Institute, an organization that encourages the creation of "floating cities--which will give people the opportunity to peacefully test new ideas about how to live together. The most successful will become thriving new societies--inspiring change around the world."

All in all, you will enjoy reading the book. I derived the most value from the chapters on the seeds of the movement and seeing how far Ron Paul followers have really pushed the cause of liberty.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read, May 21, 2012
I just picked up the Kindle version of this book. It was such a good read that I finished the entire book within a few days. Very informative about the rise of Ron Paul going back to the beginning of his career. I highly recommend it to any Ron Paul fan or anyone who wants to gain a better understanding of Ron Paul's ideas and the significance of the movement he leads.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well-written, but very much a pro-Ron Paul viewpoint..., July 15, 2012
It seems like today's politicians will pretty much say and do anything to get elected these days. If it's convenient to flip-flop on a position to gain a few more votes, count them in. One of the few people who seems to have a set of beliefs that don't change a whole lot is Ron Paul. You may not *like* them, but at least he's consistent. To find out a bit more about Paul, I picked up the book Ron Paul's rEVOLution: The Man and the Movement He Inspired by Brian Doherty at the library. While it did fill in some gaps in my understanding of the man and his positions, I was expecting something a bit more balanced in the pros and cons of his policies and career. This book is tilted firmly in the direction of the "pros" side of the equation. It *is* a well-written book... just don't take it as everything you need to make an intelligence choice.

If I had paid a bit more attention to the author's bio, I would have been able to adjust my expectations accordingly. Doherty's writings and appearances on TV are solidly in the conservative/libertarian camp. That would have given me a clue that this book would be very sympathetic to the Paul movement. He uses the 2012 campaign for President as the framework for much of the narrative, using incidents and people to fill in the history of Paul and his major policy beliefs. Because the media largely ignored Paul, Doherty has room to show parts of the 2012 campaign that 99.5% of the public knows nothing about. That's one of the main takeaways for me in the book... If a candidate can't be slotted into a convenient stereotype or category, they are written off as not relevant.

What I was looking for when I picked up the book was more of an exploration of how certain ideas and policies would play out if Paul was elected. For instance, it's one thing to say that a return to the gold standard would "fix" the problem with our massive debt and unchecked government growth. In reality, what would it mean for a leading world economy to go against how every other nation manages money supply? One set of problems would be solved, but another whole set would be introduced. In addition, a President can do little without the support of Congress. Would a President with the policies of a Ron Paul be so out of sync with both the Republican and Democratic parties that *neither* side would support him? No easy, simple, or consistent answers exist any longer to our problems.

Paul fans will love this book, as it will reinforce the view that Ron Paul has answers that resonate with the American public once they have a chance to hear them. If you're part of the majority of people who haven't had the chance to hear what Paul stands for due to marginalization by the media, rEVOLution will help you get the basics about the man and his message. Just remember this book is very Paul-friendly, and you need to take this information and weigh it against other views to get a full picture of what a true Libertarian agenda would bring to the country.

Disclosure:
Obtained From: Library
Payment: Borrowed

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Telling of the Revolution, June 4, 2012
Joseph P. Darak Jr. (Gallup, NM United States) - See all my reviews
This is a great book for Ron Paul fans, but also a great book for people who never quite knew enough about ron paul but are interested in what all the fuss is about. You'll get to know the man and why so many people became passionate supporters. Pauls roots, his principles, ideas, and vision are well laid out here. The revolution he started will continue, which makes this book relevant reading for some time to come. I literally couldn't put the book down until I finished it. It is well written, well researched, and lots of interviews with key people around and behind Paul. I only wish he would have waited a few months to publish it so that he could have written about events from Iowa to the present. Maybe a volume two. You won't get the story of why ron paul is so impportant to our country and our future from the mainstream media. There are ideas in this book which may hold the solutions to pur problems. Even if they are not, they will be battled upon in the political theatre for years to come. This book is very relevant for all of us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ron Paul Revolution - Excellent Read, July 8, 2012
I was drawn to this book because I have been an avid follower of Ron Paul for a few years now and because I came in relatively late to the movement (being only 21 years old now). I was glad to be able to read the history of Ron Paul and his movement. Brian Doherty wrote this book not only with thorough research and detail, but also with passion. I saw this book advertised in 'Reason' magazine (where Doherty is a senior editor) and was immediately interested. I believe this is a must-read for all Ron Paul supporters, old and new, as well as people who don't know much about Paul but would like to.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rockin' Ron Paul, October 14, 2012
This review is from: Ron Paul's rEVOLution: The Man and the Movement He Inspired (Kindle Edition)
A really nice look at the Ron Paul phenomenon from a sympathetic fellow libertarian. The publication date of this book is a little awkward, as it stops well before the end of the 2012 campaign. The best stuff is the descriptions of the surreal rock-star like scenes as Paul is in the early stages of the 2012 campaign, and it's clear that the seeds sown in 2008 have really taken root and come to flower. A nicely detailed look at Paul's years in Congress, the 1988 run for president on the Libertarian ticket, the return to Congress, and a deeply embedded view of the 2008 campaign, combine with insightful explorations of libertarian theory. I remember watching Paul address 25-20 or so students someplace on C-Span in 1988--you couldn't get lower-key than this event, and to see how the libertarian idea has taken hold and spread since then is truly heartening to this libertarian.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book, October 6, 2012
Nate Pohlman (Lima, OH United States) - See all my reviews
I will keep this short and sweet but this book was an interesting summary of the Ron Paul movement and the leader of it. Ron Paul is the modern day Barry Goldwater and the youth movement that he started will affect politics for many years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for all liberty activists!, August 3, 2012
I just finished this book, Doherty does a great job moving through the relevant timeline of Ron Paul's rise in American politics while keeping you eager to turn the next page. I was especially delighted to see the 2011 CA GOP convention covered in such detail since I was in attendance!

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderfully accurate assessment of the man and the revolution, June 28, 2012
Many of the books regarding the liberty movement and/or Dr. Paul don't take the time to cover much of the history of his engagement with the Libertarian Party or the roots of Goldwater conservatism, so it was nice to see a book that has. Doherty's "Ron Paul rEVOLution" covered not just how Ron Paul has remained the same throughout his political career, but how the liberty movement has changed around him as time as went on. The book doesn't just focus on old events however, it even contains modern reference, albeit small, to the Seasteaders and Bitcoin that many liberty advocates have recently been promoting as a solution to the US's economic liberty ills.

Doherty's writing style moves from one interesting tidbit to another interesting tidbit, and like many others, I was compelled to finish the book in one sitting rather than space it out over several days. He properly leaves the reader with a sense that while Paul's story may have come to an end, this may only be the start of something much larger, inspired primarily by Dr. Paul and his steadfast adherence to the Constitution. In fact, as he highlights, it would appear there seem to many new politicians, like his son Rand Paul, that are now using our Constitution as a litmus test for any new laws.

I'd recommend this book to anyone trying to understand how so many in younger generations, and even many in old, became so captivated by Dr. Paul during the last two presidential campaign seasons.