Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

on August 31, 2009
Knives are OK but handles are JUNK. Black plastic shrinks and cracks in the dishwasher resulting in tang rivets that come loose and fall out leaving a rusty hole. I have had this happen to six knives already. It costs more to return them than they are worth. Buy some other brand like a Ginsu!
22 comments36 of 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 1, 2011
these knives are the cheapest pieces of garbage i have ever saw and used no need to say anything else but junk
on June 10, 2014
It is totally waste of money. I am so disappointed when I received the products. The knife set looked very appealing on TV advertisement but they are nothing like that. I want to return them but I can't get shipping fee back, which is $100 ($29.99 for each set of knife. I have two sets. The wood block for knife shipping charge is another $29.99). Besides, shipping fee for sending them back costs maybe $40. So if I return the products, it costs me $140 but I get nothing. I have no choice but keep it. Ronco Holding, Shame on you. You don't live to what you say. My advice: Don't buy it.
on January 20, 2011
Check to make sure this is dishwasher safe. i did not. I just assumed it was. After about 2 washes the knives began to rust in spots. I was very disappointed:( I have had it for about a month maybe less and they are already ready to be thrown out.
on August 3, 2010
I purchased this knife set directly from Ronco, with the block, a couple of years ago. While I have used most of the knives in the set at least once, I have found that most of the knives in the set are simply unnecessary for most home cooks. For me, there are only two knives in this set (Cheese and Bread & Bagel) that are worth owning, and really none at this price.

As others have stated, these knives have very cheap plastic handles. The so called "rivets" have fallen off on a few of the knives that I have. Also, the thin metal blades are coated with some sort of metal fleck that has begun to wear off on the knives that I use most frequently, rendering the knives in question useless. If you slightly bend any of the knives, you can hear an audible crunch of this material flexing as you do so.

My knives were fairly dull when shipped to me, and the sharpener that is included is useless. The sharpening stone is entirely too short, even for the paring knife. Thankfully, I have a honing steel and used that to sharpen the knives. I also didn't care for the included shears, as I had a pair of Messermeisters on standby that are much sharper and stronger than those that were included in this set.

In short, I would recommend that anyone considering this set of knives buy a decent chef's knife from a reputable manufacturer, preferably one that they can try out at a store, and build their collection from there.
on January 11, 2014
These are the worst knives I have ever purchased!! First off, they're so dull. The bread knife couldn't even cut a loaf of fresh bread. Secondly, I didn't even have them for a week and they are already rusted. Not just a little, BAD. SO rusty. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY. Horrible! Horrible! Horrible!
on April 11, 2012
We purchased these knives several years ago. They of course came with the 'we will replace them' guarantee. A couple of years ago they all started falling apart. The studs come loose and they separate. There is no way to fix them. We have about 70% of them broken now. We contacted customer service over a year ago and no one ever responded. We have been aggressively contacting them for the last two months and still no response. So, the facts are these...the knives are inexpensive, they will not last very long, you will not get a replacement much less a response from customer service, and you will get what you pay for. At the price offered it is not such a big deal to just order new ones as they really are not bad knives while they last. However it is the principle of the thing. They are lying when they tell you they will replace the knives. They will not. That is just bad business and lousy customer service.
on March 27, 2012
I got these knives as a gift a week ago, I ran them through the dishwasher only to find them rusted the next morning. I called ronco directly to address the issue, and they proceeded to inform me that the DO infact have a lifetime warranty, but I would have to spend $2.50 per knife to send them back. What a joke. The are very sharp but what use do I have for them if they are rusted? Horrible customer service, I would suggest paying the extra money on a REAL set of knives!! I had the same set of Hindu knives for over 5 yes that I paid less for and never saw rust!
on August 30, 2013
I purchased 2 sets of these knives. They looked amazing online. They state that they are made of stainless steel. I am here to tell you that our entire knife set rusted as soon as we washed it. Stainless steel does not rust. When we called the company they said that we could send each rusted knife back (which was all of them) for $3.95 and it would be replaced. My husband told them that we do not want a replacement because they are a cheap metal and a new one would just do the same thing. The person we spoke to informed us that they are made in China and of a lesser steel and although they tell you on television you can wash them in the dishwasher that the company does not recommend it due to the lesser steel rusting. This is false advertising. If it is stainless it should not matter what country it is made in it should not rust! unfortunately we bought 2 sets of these knives so we could give one as a gift. I am humiliated that I gave someone such a cheap and poorly performing knife. We attempted to chop frozen pork with the cleaver after all the company swears it can cut through steel. The blade bent....I was disgusted.I will be ordering an actual good set of knives and throwing these out they are not worth the effort or time that it takes to debride them of the rust every time I use them. The guy that we talked us informed us to contact the escalation department that he could not do anything as he was scripted as to what he could say to us. We told him that we were going to call a lawyer and sue the company for false advertising if we did not get our money back. We called and left a message at the escalation department for someone to call us back. When she did she stated that she could give us a refund or send us a new set. We told her we wanted a refund. We have not received it yet. I wish I would have read the reviews before I bought this product.
on July 27, 2014
The worst knives ever!!! Although the handles on mine aren't has bad as other reviews make them sound. They are actually solid plastic, and I guess that is a compliment. The entire set, except the parer, is ridiculously dull. The sharpener doesn't help much (and it's not intended to be used on the serrated knives). The bread knives are completely overmatched by even the softest loaf of bread. Last time I was trying to cut a baguette, I swear I heard it laughing at me. The blades rust immediately even though I hand washed and dried. I just can't say enough bad about these knives! I mean they are comically bad!

True story... As a joke, last time we had steak I flipped the knife over and cut with the back side. It actually worked better because the dull serrations on the "cutting" side were just ripping the meat to shreds. The steak was pretty tender, so this trick probably wouldn't work on my mom's pork chops! ;-)

On the positive side, the block is nice, and the parer is everything I could've hoped for!

See 1 answered question