on August 7, 2009
Verified Purchase
I chose this rotisserie, because the positive reviews on it outnumbered the negative ones by far. In addition, my brother-in-law has one and has only good to say about it. So far we've only cooked chickens in it, and they have turned out wonderful. We use aluminum foil behind the elements and on the tray, so clean up is easy. There were only wisps of smoke periodically that came out of the vents, and that was probably due to fat popping onto the elements. The unit was fairly quiet, comparable to our Sunbeam that we loved and used almost every week for over six years. We have yet to try the kabob rods, but are looking forward to it.

Now, about the other accessories. First the bad. The rubber gloves, injector and thermometer are very cheap and serve no useful purpose. The gloves stink even after washing them, the liquid injector constantly falls apart, and the thermometer has a short lifespan.

Now the good. The rest of the accessories show promise. The solid flavor injector shows potential if you use a long, thin knife to create the pocket. The carving knife/fork pair are decent. The 1-quart dual heating tray with lid is good for keeping two small side dishes warm.

We did find it helpful to read ALL the instructions carefully and watch the DVD included in the box. They both gave hints and tips that were very important for a smooth, trouble-free cooking session.

So in a nutshell, the rotisserie itself is great. If you're looking for a rotisserie, get this one solely based on the value of the unit itself, not the accessories. We are well pleased so far.

Update (18Sep13): It is now four years later, and the unit is still cooking chickens (as large as 6 lbs) wonderfully - even after being dropped on the floor from the counter!
on January 10, 2014
First off, ordinarily I purchase through Amazon (non-verified buyer), but had a gift card card to use up at a big box store. Not typically a cooking appliance purchaser either but i had to have it. Been wanting one for years as a friend has had one for a long time, been reliable unit, seemed quite easy to use, and has cooked and treated us to many rib roasts on his that tasted fantastic. Plus the smell and taste of the rotisserie birds cooking at the grocery store have always been alluring. Always wanted to have our own.
Have used my own now for a few months, and so far very pleased with the results. Using atleast once a week now cooking various size birds, roasts, and whatnot (still learning). Our slow cooker and oven see lesser use now. Cooks very quickly and quite evenly in comparison. Setup and cleanup isn't that painful.
Only a small issue occurs when I'm cooking a larger Turkey >10lbs or other heavy item, and seems a few others have experienced same which resulted in some unhappy reviews - seems easily remedied though for me. Some heavy weight items i noticed tend to bow the split rod just slightly enough to cause the food to come off the holding track when it heats a little. When this occurs there is a small Allen set screws on the split rod end to give you a little adjustment, just enough to expand it a little to stay on, not too much or will rub against the housing. Haven't had a problem since and hope that helps someone.
on February 1, 2014
Verified Purchase
I was really psyched about purchasing this rotisserie and looking forward to all the great meals I would cook in it but after only two uses, I have returned this product to Amazon. The rotisserie spit rod continually fell out of the track on one side when it turned and the motor/gear was incredibly loud.

I used the unit twice, both times to make chicken. The first time, I cooked a single 5 lbs chicken. I followed the instructions for trussing the chicken (I used my own cotton string though), put it on the spit rod and attempted to slide it onto the tracks. I say attempted because I had a hard time getting the rod to stay in the track and not fall down on one side or the other. It was like the rod was just barely long enough to catch on the very edge of the track and if it wasn't perfectly centered, it was able to slide down on one side. I finally got it to balance and set the timer. As soon as it started, I noticed how loud the motor was -- that could get really annoying! After about 1/2 dozen rotations, the spit rod fell out of the track on one side. I stopped the oven, pulled it out, repositioned it and restarted the oven. This happened two more times before it finally balanced properly and was able to complete its cooking cycle. I have to say though the chicken was fantastic, very moist and flavorful.

Two days later I attempted to use the unit for the second time but with two 4 lbs chickens. I followed the instructions, got the rod to balance in the track, turned the oven on and after only two rotations the spit rod fell out of the track on one side. I spent the next 20 minutes taking the chickens on and off the rod, trying to get the rod to balance -- keep in mind the oven is getting hot, these raw seasoned chickens are becoming warm and it was making quite a mess. I finally gave up when the rod fell off yet again and became wedged. I was able to get the spit rod out (burned myself on the oven in the process), took the chickens off the rod and cooked them in my regular oven. BTW, the motor seemed even louder with the weight of two chickens, I can't even imagine what it would sound like with a 15 lbs turkey!

I am really disappointed this didn't function as advertised because like I said, the one chicken I was able to cook in it was really delicious. The manufacturer needs to look at the spit rod length and make it longer so it can't drop out of the track.
on November 23, 2012
Ronco ST5000PLGEN Showtime Rotisserie Platinum Edition

I have had my Showtime for 10 years and it still works as good as on the first day. I cook chicken, ribs, vegetables and kobobs in mine and I am still amazed every time on how good the food turns out. All the grease drains from the food so it is healthy cooking at it's best. Every year I cook a 12 lb turkey in it and it is just the best. I can't say enough about it. No temperature to control, just turn it on for the time specified and forget it. Love, Love, Love it!!
on October 11, 2012
Verified Purchase
The rotisserie works just as advertised, but the size is much smaller than the ad leads you to believe.
There is no way you can put 2 5lb. chickens in at once. I should have sent it back and ordered the next
size up. It's worth the money to go bigger.
on January 25, 2014
Verified Purchase
This is the second Ronco Rotisserie that we have own. The first one worked great, but wore out of years of use. When we received the second one, from the very beginning the gear wheel on the spit rod assembly woul fall off the rotating wheel. Ronco customer service was no help, "We will have to let the main office know and they will call you in 3 to 5 days."
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 6, 2012
Verified Purchase
This product description says up to a 15lb turkey. That's a blatant lie and false advertising. I got this oven specifically for Thanksgiving, to free up my oven for everything else. I got a 14lb turkey JUST TO BE SAFE and this oven did NOT handle it. It turned ONCE and fell out of its side slot. I took everything off and re-sat the turkey, cleaned off the tracks and everything, put it back in the machine. Same thing. Our dinner plans were totally screwed up and instead of the nice schedule I'd set for myself, my whole day was RUINED because it was spent chaotically running around my kitchen trying to make everything work, now that my actual oven was no longer an option for anything else.
So I contacted Ronco customer service...THREE WEEKS AGO and have yet to hear a single response. I have been back on the same service ticket twice to ask why they haven't responded, and they simply just do not care.
This oven is fine if you wanna rotisserie some small stuff. Like ribs or something. But if you buy this thing, beware that if anything is wrong with it, you've simply wasted your money. Point blank.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 7, 2014
Verified Purchase
This is the second "Set it & Forget it" I have bought. The first was way back in the day when the infomercial was on, we bought the standard compact model. Fast forward 20yrs and that thing has outlasted our marriage...since she took it. haha. Of course she doesn't use it, she just snagged it so I couldn't have it. :)

Well I wanted to spin a turkey this year for thanksgiving and after 20yrs there is now an Amazon. Wow and Ronco has a stainless steel model and better still the drip pan and other accessories are coated with non stick. Thanks honey.

Arrived triple boxed and in great condition, on time and what I ordered.

TIP: Add 15min to the timer and then switch it over to "No heat rotation" at the 15min mark. Excellent cool down and rarely need the gloves at that point.
on November 29, 2012
Verified Purchase
So I admit I am a skeptic, and would NEVER have ordered this from the informercials that came on television for years, but now that I have one, I wish I HAD ordered one years ago. I buy free range chickens that typically must be cooked low and slow in order to avoid toughness, but they come out wonderfully tender and juicy cooked in my Ronco; it easily makes the best chicken I have ever eaten, not to mention pork and beef roasts, and clean-up is really easy, even if you let it sit overnight.
on February 22, 2014
Verified Purchase
I purchased this solely for the purpose of making rotisserie chicken. I love rotisserie chicken. My family loves rotisserie chicken. This appliance seemed like a match made in heaven!

Then the reality hits: way below expectations. The rotisserie oven is listed at a ten pound maximum. I figured a seven or eight pound chicken would be well within that framework... Remember: I bought this only for rotisserie chicken. Our family is too small for just a wee little chicken and this oven is too small for two wee little chickens. It needed to work for an eight pound bird or there would be no point in the purchase.

Tied the bird according to the directions (read and reread twice). Heck, we even watched the video that was included -- simply a dvd of Ron Popeil's infomercial -- so I was certain that we knew what to do. After one hour with the bird (tied and retied, positioned on the spikes and repositioned on the spikes over and over again), we finally gave up and three the chicken in the oven.

I gave it two stars because I still might find a use for it. However, it certainly will not be for its intended purpose. And frankly, I don't really need a large counter-swallowing appliance to cook hot dogs or hamburgers.

Advice for anyone interested? Ignore the upper end of the weight certification. Absolute bunk.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations