Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Room and Furniture Layout Kit
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on May 5, 1999
Wow! This kit, was the cheapest and MOST EFFECTIVE method we found for planning the rooms in our house. The ability to plan, easily change and visualize a room layout...without moving furniture....is great. This is perfect for new home buyers, who are trying to organize multiple rooms.
0Comment| 115 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 9, 2000
The concept is good but it should be available in a 1/4"= 1' scale so it could be used with standard house plans.
0Comment| 102 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 11, 2004
I wasn't as pleased with this item as I thought I would be. It was purchased to use for our homeschooled 16 year old. At the time of this purchase, we also purchased "Home Quick Planner", which was the real find for us. I purchased this with the intention of using it as a supplement to the "Home Quick Planner" after seeing it listed on Amazon as a "goes together" type of item. Unfortunately, the "Home Quick Planner" was scaled to 1/2"=1', and this item was scaled at 1/4"=1', so they really aren't good together.

I was also wondering why they have the subtitle "From Stencils and Notepaper to Flowers and Napkin Folding", since that was not in MY edition, and my edition looks just like the picture in the Amazon ad.

Also, the "Home Quick Planner" has detailed "window cling-type" stickers that you can take off and put back on easily, which is nicer than these cardstock punch-outs, which are very plain. I would suggest that you "look inside", on the Amazon listing, which I didn't do since I impulsively purchased it when Amazon listed it as a "goes together" item. After viewing the "look inside", you may decide that this is just what you want, and the price is very low. It may be nice for somebody who wants to invest a small amount of money to try their abilities at layouts. You may be very happy with it.
44 comments| 76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 2, 2006
I love this book and I have used it over and over for years. Who cares if it doesn't match blueprints? Simply measure your room and do the math. I don't have blueprints to try and match - I'm just a woman trying to redo rooms in a house. There are 215 punch out pieces of furniture and if they don't fit your EXACT sofa you can cut them down to size.

I am a perfectionist and need everything to be measured exact. I do not cut corners and I have used this book for at least 5 complete room makeovers. It has been invaluable and many furniture pieces were NOT purchased because I knew they wouldn't fit in the room - all thanks to this really inexpensive layout kit. $5? It's worth the investment many times over.
on February 17, 2015
Just bought a condo and starting from scratch on furniture, area rugs, etc. I have drawn out some rooms already, and am finding it very helpful with designing the furniture arrangements I want and take it with me when shopping. Some have criticized the scale of graph paper, and I think they are just using it wrong. Two squares equal 1 foot, there are darker lines showing a foot with a lighter line in middle, making it much easier than regular graph paper. Once I get the wood flooring down, I am going to use painter tape to outline exact furniture placement, which I think will help the movers greatly, and keep me from struggling to rearrange after they leave. When shopping, I take this book, a measuring tape, paint color fan, fabric samples, a small camera and notebook in a fun fabric tote. I have received several compliments from store decorators, they say it's very difficult to help someone without a clear idea of size needed, placement, etc. This is a very helpful item at an inexpensive price, I highly recommend it.
on March 19, 2015
TO ALL THOSE COMPLAINING OF THE SCALE OF THE GRAPH PAPER AND/OR FURNITURE PIECES.......

Look at the graph paper you have and find a piece of furniture that is an even 24" which is 2 feet on one side. I used the 24" x 24" chair but there are plenty of other pieces you can use.

Place the piece on your graph paper and see how many squares it overs on one side, drawing around the piece or the one side onto your graph paper.

I have the few sheets that came with the set, plus I bought a package of "quad" graph paper as well as another that is bound in a notebook. The sheets that came with the set as well as the quad sheets both are the same and the 24" side covers 4 squares. (24" / 4 = 6") So that means each square is a half a foot or six inches.

The other paper that I have is on a smaller scale and the same 24" side covers 5 squares. (24" / 5 = 4.8") So that means each square is 4.8 inches. If you require exactness without any room for error than you will want to buy the quad paper. (I got mine at walmart and it was inexpensive.) But if you want to use what you have you can go ahead and use this. Chances are you are not going to be measuring the exact distance between your chair and the wall and the coffee table (for example) so it will be close enough to still use and appreciate this set to make the most of it.

I absolutely love this set, and I can't believe I waited so long to order it. It makes my life easier because I'm not asking the hubby to move everything a dozen times before I am happy with a room layout. I can experiment on paper first. Marking the areas for windows, closets, doors etc.

If you don't find the size of furniture that you need by words, go by measurements. I can't remember if it was a review on this one or another product review that I read. But someone put they couldn't find the size of their sofa, but they found another piece that did work. I believe it was a bathtub. So either flip the piece over and write on the back or trace around the piece on another piece of paper and cut it out writing what it's supposed to be. Either one will work. Or just make the piece you need based on the measurements on a spare piece of graph paper and cut it out.

For items that I knew was the only place in the room for such items, such as the entertainment center or bookcases, sectional sofa. tub, toilet, bed, dresser, etc, I actually drew them into place or traced the piece on a piece of white copy paper or construction, labeled it and cut it out. Gluing it into place on my grid of the room I was working on. This just makes it much easier to work with without having pieces slide all over should you move it or bump it. Once I was happy with the furniture placement I did the same as above gluing all my pieces into place. But you could draw around the pieces to get the same effect. This way you won't lose your spot until the furniture is actually in it's new spot. Keeping it as a reference, or giving yourself several options to look over until you decide which one you want to go with. Leaving you with the actual pieces to use at another date or give to someone else to use.

Because measuring each room can be daunting I did order this which made my life a whole lot easier.
Laser Distance Measurer .... AKA laser tape measure
It has a little red dot that goes across to point out the space that is being measured.

The down side of using a regular tape measure is that it can sag over longer distances unless your floor area is clear to lay it straight across. But with furniture already in place this made my life easier as I could just go above the furniture and measure straight across. I highly recommend this for home projects, or anywhere you need to measure.

When I measured the furniture I used two cutting boards. One on each side, held straight to get the measurement of the length and width. Just a little tip if you are needing this for the same purpose.

I hope this review helps you decide if this is or isn't the right product for you.
I just know it helped me out a great deal.!!!!!
on February 9, 2004
Unfortunately, the pieces in this book are not to the scale of our blueprints. They should be 1/4" = 1 ft. however they are 1/2" = 1 ft. It is not specified in the ordering information on this item.
on April 2, 2014
I bought this a few years ago and immediately measured and drew the layouts for each room in our house. Over the years, I've done several remodeling projects and this has been such a time saver. One room in our house has been a bedroom, a nursery, an office, and now a guest room. Before each transition, I'd play around with the furniture cutouts to get everything arranged just right. Then, when I had helpers to move the furniture, I knew exactly where it was going to go.

Some of the pieces were different sizes than I needed. For example, my husband's desk is an unusual size. I looked at the measurements and found another piece that was the same size (a bathtub!) I just flipped it over and wrote what I'm using it for. I have the right size now.

I would highly recommend this to anyone who needs to do any kind of personal space planning.
on July 2, 2014
I found this to be more trouble to use than it was worth. There really are not enough options ( and it would be unreasonable to expect that there would be unless the product were VERY expensive) to cover a lot of furniture that people have ( different sizes etc.) so the results are not all that helpful.
on December 26, 2014
Bought these for stocking stuffers for my daughters - They both seemed like they really wanted to get going and use them to rearrange their homes - I also used one of these to move my mother into assisted living - She's going from 2100 sq ft to 650 so this helped her pick which furnture would fit and what went or stayed ....