Published on May 25, 2007 by Scott E. Smith

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment
"Art of Virtue" was in my CD changer all summer of '07. It and "Plow to the End of the Row" I listen to all the time. Nothing on this CD interested me, very little mountain music, too somber for my taste.
Published on July 6, 2009 by Charles Cornell

5.0 out of 5 stars Best work yet from an artist whose talents are blossoming so rapidly they'll need that room to grow!, May 25, 2007
This review is from: Room to Grow (Audio CD)
While Room To Grow has much in common with Adrienne Young's earlier CDs, is a much more polished and mature effort than its predecessors. This is clearly the work of a more seasoned professional, somebody who's serious about what she's doing, somebody who's ready to play in the big leagues. The whole project, the songwriting, the performances, and the production, absolutely shine.

These songs carry the positive messages Adrienne's fans would expect, but they're tempered by an understanding that the world can and often does crush our best efforts. This acknowledgement of the struggle between good & bad, light & dark, runs throughout the album, but nowhere is that duality presented better than in the opening track, "All For Good." Where the previous CD opened with the rollicking and anthemic declaration, "Gonna start a revolution, made of action not of words," this one begins with sparse instrumentation, an almost autumnal melody, and world-weary resignation: "It's just one more day out of my life gone for good... I keep turning over in my mind, did I get it right?" It's the self-doubt of the traveler who has devoted enormous energies to making a positive impact during life's pilgrimage, but inevitably must confront the possibility that it wasn't enough, or worse still that it's all been for naught. But then out of the darkness comes a beam of light, a joyous and hopeful chorus made all the more beautiful by the contrast, justifying the effort and resolve required to forge on. The realization that "all that is here is for good" makes for an even more powerful anthem than the one that opened the last record.

Even the up-tempo, happy numbers, like the title track, are made more potent by at least a passing nod (or is it a wink?) to life's downside. Extolling the virtues of those pastures where there's "room enough to grow" implies an understanding of less enjoyable places and ways of life. Like the places that inspired "What I Wouldn't Give For a River," an aching expression of yearning for the solitude of a quieter and simpler way of life that is among Adrienne's best songwriting efforts. "Natural Bridge," the track that's racked up the most plays on my iTunes, could be the result of having finally gotten a taste of that simpler life where "my soul will dance again with my true love and all my kin." It also features some lovely dobro work from Andy Hall. The amazing Will Kimbrough, Mike Gordon from Phish, and one of my favorite bluegrass singers, Dale Ann Bradley, also make marvelous contributions to this CD. Former members of Adrienne's band (including fiddler Eric Merrill, bassist Kyle Kegerreis, and guitarist Hans Holzen) lend their considerable talents as well, and I would be remiss not to mention the wonderful work of guitarist Edward O'Day who is definately someone from whom we should expect big things.

Initially I questioned the decision to cover Joni Mitchell's "Free Man In Paris." Amazingly, it fits very comfortably smack dab in the middle of Adrienne's songs. If her originals weren't so good, Joni's tune would stick out like a sore thumb, but as it is, "Free Man" is just another great song among many and is a spirited, first-rate performance by both vocalist and band. Plus it nicely echoes the sentiments of the opening track: "you just can't win," but you do your best just the same.

"Plow to the End of the Row" and "The Art of Virtue," both of which I love, serve as the great foundation upon which "Room to Grow" and whatever may follow will stand. This is something more than what we've heard from Adrienne in the past, and something greater and more powerful than we could have expected. Here's hoping it's just one more step down a long and fruitful path.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great surprise!, June 7, 2007
Alan J. Taylor (Medford Lakes, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Room to Grow (Audio CD)
I had never heard of her prior to attending the Appel Farm Art & Music Festival on June 2, 2007. She was one of the performers at the festival. I immediately took a liking to her music. I purchased this CD at the festival and have listened to it countless times without getting tired of it. Their isn't a song on the CD I don't enjoy listening to over and over again. She puts much feeling into her music. The added plus is to see a musician with a social conscious, unlike some of the canned music coming out the music industry these days, with her Save A Seed Fund. Looking forward to seeing her play next week at Longwood Gardens!

5.0 out of 5 stars This gal and her music are white hot!, June 17, 2007
Bargin Hunter "lexusdcs" (Charlotte NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Room to Grow (Audio CD)
On June 14, 2007 two of us caught her show at Longwood Gardens in PA. All I can say is this was a treat for the ears and down right FUN. I loved everything she played and you could she that she really enjoyed what she is doing. You could feel her spirit in every song! She got so into it that after about 55 solid minutes of song she was surprised to learn that she was running out of time. All of the artist were GREAT! This was my fist exposure to Bluegrass and it won't be my last. Adrienne all we can say is YOU GO GIRL...you ROCK!

5.0 out of 5 stars Addie does it again!!, September 2, 2007
This review is from: Room to Grow (Audio CD)
Love this voice! Ms. Young's third album is just wonderful. There's no hint of sitting back on laurels or running out of creative juices. The music here is easily worthy of a first album.

When I first heard Adrienne Young on Public Radio a few years ago I mentally labelled her as a folksinger. Then, after listening to the entire first album, "Plow to the End of the Row", I decided she was "country". Well now, after listening to her for four or five years and through two more albums, I've given up trying to categorize her to tightly. She's just a pleasure to listen to

Bottom line: If you like Alison Kraus you'll LOVE Addie! Her quick bouncy tunes get both your feet tapping. Her wonderful voice holds up in the ballads.

5.0 out of 5 stars What A Talent!!, December 6, 2007
This review is from: Room to Grow (Audio CD)
She really has lived up to her first 2 outstanding albums. A fantastic singer, and great musicians backing her up. Excellent songs, what else do you want? Bluegrass-Folk, Country-Pop, Alt-Country, it's tough to pin her exact style down, but there's some banjo and fiddle and things in there.

In Between The Heartbeats - song of the year contender, and 'Room to Grow', 'How is this World Better Now', 'Dark Around the Moon' aren't far behind. In my mind the weakest song is the Joni Mitchell cover 'Free Man In Paris'. I like Allison Krauss, but this album should be receiving the praise of Allison Krauss in the media, and Allison Krauss should listen to this for some ideas on how a great album is made.

I've seen Adrienne a few times in concert and I highly recommend seeing her live too!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment, July 6, 2009
This review is from: Room to Grow (Audio CD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Adrienne Young should com out to play more often!, March 27, 2014
George Conk (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Room to Grow (Audio CD)
Adrienne Young has great energy, and a young family. I assume that's why she appears so infrequently.
Too bad. She has great, driving energy. I hope she tours soon - and heads toward New York and New England.
- GWC

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!, February 20, 2014
This review is from: Room to Grow (Audio CD)
This is great stuff. Cross between folk, pop and country. Its Joni Mitchell but fresher I'd think. Adrienne writes much of her material and along will performer and song writer Will Kimbrough makes for some very interesting music.

This is Adrienne Young last released album from 2007...far to long to wait Adrienne! We understand the commitment to other important activity but please give your music fans, more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, November 20, 2012
This review is from: Room to Grow (Audio CD)
If you like folk mixed with country, this is for you. The sound is a amazing. Good job, Adrienne.
Gif

5.0 out of 5 stars Adrienne, November 23, 2008
Barley (California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Room to Grow (Audio CD)
Good CD. Saw her on Emeril, and had to buy one. My sister says she's been listening to her for a while already, and that's my younger sister. I thought I was the smart one!

Room to Grow
Room to Grow by Adrienne Young (Audio CD - 2007)
Rate and Discover Movies