5.0 out of 5 stars A rock-solid effort from Les Savy Fav
Published on September 21, 2010 by Carlos C

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the rest
Some people write reviews like its their Master's thesis, all I will say is just listen to it before you buy it.
Published on October 18, 2010 by M. Davis

5.0 out of 5 stars A rock-solid effort from Les Savy Fav, September 21, 2010
This review is from: Root For Ruin (Audio CD)
Admittedly this album was off my radar, but luckily I stumbled across a friend's tweet announcing its release and was most pleased after the first listen. Les Savy Fav's sound is back and in full force, albeit cleaner-sounding and more focused, but by no means should this be construed as a negative, the album is flipping terrific. Take note, Root for Ruin is 100% distilled, pure awesomeness manifested in 11 brilliant tracks with no filler. It is easily my favorite album of the year and will delight old and new Les Savy Fav fans alike. Singling out a handful of songs as being 'stand out tracks' would be an effort in futility as every song is very catchy and full of that classic Les Savy Fav energy, except for Poltergeist -- not my cup of tea. 10/11, not bad, well-done LSF.

5.0 out of 5 stars Understand, January 11, 2011
If you haven't followed LSF throughout the ages, this may be like cocaine for an alcoholic. Its good, real good. Read it like a Jack London book with a tall glass of absinthe and no pants.

5.0 out of 5 stars High and Unhinged, November 16, 2010
Tom LePen (Bronx, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Root For Ruin (Audio CD)
I'm in NYC and have seen Les Savy Fav several times. Awesome shows.

I happened to hear "Clear Spirits" on an indie rock station in NYC one night last month and was instantly mesmerized. Found out it was Les Savy Fav and went and immediately bought the record.

I'd describe this album (and Les Savy Fav in general) as the Pixies meet Agnostic Front.

Stand out tracks, imo, are the first 4 tracks, and the last 2.

Clearly the hands downs best song on this album is "Dear Crutches".

Definitely worth getting this album.

4.0 out of 5 stars Satisfying my appetite, November 10, 2010
This review is from: Root For Ruin (Audio CD)
I purchased Root for Ruin through impulse. I only had two previous Les Savy Fav songs (What Would Wolves Do and a single version of Let's Get Out of Here) and liking both of those songs I decided to go ahead and get the album. Root for Ruin hits hard; with great hooks and a fantastic single the album is constantly spinning in my cd player (whether in my dorm or in my car) Root for Ruin is not for everyone. I would recommend this to anyone who likes their music lo-fi (probably some Japandroids fans)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great album by the most underrated band around, September 13, 2013
This review is from: Root For Ruin (Audio CD)
Why the world isn't championing this band is beyond my comprehension. Every album they've done since "Go Forth" is fantastic! Do yourself a favor and buy them all.
Go Forth
Inches
Let's Stay Friends

4.0 out of 5 stars Great album, and even better live, September 10, 2013
This review is from: Root For Ruin (Audio CD)
I recently saw Les Savy Fav in concert for the first time (more on that later), and afterwards decided to check out their most recent album (which turns out to be this one, even though it's already three years old).

"Root for Ruin" (11 tracks; 39 min.) kicks off with tow high-energy, high-tempo tracks, "Appetites" and "Dirty Nails". The band slows down a bit after that and for then deliver the best tracks of the album, "Sleepless in Silver Lake" and even better "Let's Get Out of Here", my favorite track on this album. Other highlights on the album are a punk-ish sounding "High and Unhinged", "Dear Crutches", and the album's closer "Clear Spirits". In all, this is quite the album, and I have been enjoying this a lot in the last couple of weeks.

I saw Les Savy Fav in concert last month at the FYF in Los Angeles, and what a set they brought, brimming with energy and fun. They played quite a few songs from this album, including Appetites, Clear Spirits, Dirty Knails, and Let's Get Out Of Here (basically all my favorite songs from the album), as well as some older nuggets from the "Let's Stay Friends" album. Outstanding show all around. Meanwhile, "Root for Ruin" is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

5.0 out of 5 stars thought and dance provoking, April 30, 2013
This review is from: Root For Ruin (Audio CD)
The production is super-crisp. Les Savy Fav added a second guitar some time back and they work together to produce lines both snaky and sharp. Off-kilter rhythms support sing-along melodies and stories of desparate characters, strange parties, sex and other depravities, always with a subtlety and sense of humor. My kids sing along to 'Appetites' in the back seat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Up there with "Go Forth", November 15, 2010
This review is from: Root For Ruin (Audio CD)
This album is definitely better than the last album "Let's Be Friends", but I'm not sure if it's better than "Go Forth". Either way, it's up there with the band's best stuff. I listen to the album from front to back all the time and it continues to grow on me. If you love "Go Forth" or "Inches" then get this and you won't be sorry.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the rest, October 18, 2010

1.0 out of 5 stars Ugh., October 20, 2010
Peter Santucci (Lebanon, OR United States) - See all my reviews
I wish I hadn't read Carlos C's glowing review. I bought the album and have regretted every penny I spent on it. There's so much great music out there. Spend your money elsewhere and forget about this one.

Root For Ruin
Root For Ruin by Les Savy Fav (Audio CD - 2010)
Rate and Discover Movies