5.0 out of 5 stars Unique recipes for root vegetables
Published 21 months ago by J

There are very many salad recipes in this book. I wasn't expecting a cookbook featuring roots to be filled with so many salads and slaws and pesto and "picnic fare". I bought the book hoping for Fall-type preparations.

Published 21 months ago by I Do The Speed Limit

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique recipes for root vegetables, October 13, 2012
This review is from: Roots: The Definitive Compendium with more than 225 Recipes (Hardcover)
I wasn't interested in buying another cookbook, but when I saw this one at the bookstore, I needed to have it. I love root vegetables, but all I ever do is roast them. What appealed to me about Roots was that there are (a) interesting preparations for common root vegetables that I never would have thought of and (b) whole chapters on root vegetables that I've never cooked with or never even heard of. I'm really excited to find the more exotic vegetables and try them out, but now that fall is settling in, I've enjoyed trying new ways to cook the more common vegetables. In the two weeks I've had the book, I've made the Orange-Braised Parsnips with Cumin and Mint and the Rutabaga Hash. Both were delicious and unexpected.

The book is divided into chapter by root and each chapter has 5-10 recipes for the root vegetable. Each chapter also includes some info about common varieties, storage, and preparation.

Some of the recipes I'm looking forward to making soon are:

* Fresee salad with gold beets, poached eggs, and bacon-sherry vinaigrette
* Shrimp and jicama ceviche
* Spaghetti carbonara with parnsips, pancetta and peas
* Turnips and leeks in miso butter

The best part of this book is finding new ways to cook root vegetables. I hope this author writes a cookbook for other types of vegetables!

3.0 out of 5 stars Heavy on salads, slaws, raw preparations; light on slow, succulent cold-weather dishes, October 28, 2012

This compilation of recipes takes a global look at root vegetables. Don't get me wrong, a Global View (Asian, U.S. Pacific North West, Andean, Caribbean, Indian) slant is not a bad thing, but it was totally unexpected. And don't take me wrong again: "totally unexpected" is not a bad thing either. I assumed--incorrectly--that this book featured easy-to-find-in-any-United-States-neighborhood, Fall-weather root veggies. It does not. I bought this cookbook dreaming of many, many recipes for beautiful braises and slow, succulent, heavenly-smelling preparations of the root veggies that I know and love: Carrot, parsnip, rutabaga, beet, radish, parsley root, celery root, turnip, potato, and sweet potato. Regarding the veggies I just mentioned, there are not many recipes that I marked to try this Fall--maybe 10 or so. And that's not enough to allow me to give this book a top-star rating.

Depending on what you are looking for in a "root" cookbook, it might behoove you to check this one out of your library before purchasing. If you are looking for general information on all the different roots, you will find it here--and beautifully pictured, too. (But can find just as much information with an internet search as you can in this book.) If a particular root caught your eye in the market, it will be in this book--represented by between 4 and 11 recipes.

There are many Asian recipes in this book. The only problem with an Asian slant to the recipes is the requirement of an Asian market in your area, and a large pantry with some empty shelves and extra refrigerator space to accommodate a bunch of new and (possibly) seldom used staples and ingredients. And, again, don't get me wrong: Trying new ingredients is a wonderful opportunity in my mind, but, then, I'm an experienced cook and I'm always actively looking for "new". My pantry is full of Asian ingredients already. The closest Asian market is about 45 miles away from my house, but I make the trip once a week.

I had much trouble locating some of these roots; some I can't find anywhere. The lotus root I can find is very expensive and usually of poor quality; (there are 8 recipes). I can't find the Andean Tubers (there are 7 recipes). I can't find arrowhead (there are 4 recipes). I can't find crosne (there are 8 recipes). I can't find malanga (there are 6 recipes). I can't find salsify and scorzonera (9 recipes). I know I can sporadically find (and pay a premium for): Horseradish (7 recipes), Jerusalem artichoke (7 recipes), parsley root (6 recipes), and wasabi (11 recipes). So, even though I live right outside of a very large city--Houston--there are 70-90 recipes in this book that are pretty much off-limits for me. Add in some other hard-to-find ingredients and the author turns "roots" into the "difficult" category.

So, I'm still on the look-out for a great cookbook dealing with the root vegetables that are available in the Fall and Winter in the United States. Let me know if you find a book like this. And if you are looking for a great potato cookbook check out One Potato, Two Potato. It is superb, and what I consider a five-star effort.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Roots" rocks!, October 24, 2012
I love Diane Morgan's new cookbook! I've already tried 2 new recipes and gotten to explore some foods I've never tried before. This is more than just a bunch of recipes. The author gives you a history, buying guide, and a how-to on using and preparing each root. Full color pictures help you to identify that mysterious thing in the produce section that you've always wondered about. I live with a picky eater and both of the recipes I've tried have gotten that person's seal of approval. I can't wait to try another!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful!, November 3, 2012
This is the fall cookbook I've been waiting for! I am a member of a CSA in Northern California and also get the what-the-heck-do-I-do-with-this vegetable on occasion. This book is just beautiful and answers all my questions. I was surprised at the size of the book - it was obviously no small effort to research and create. The pictures are gorgeous. It contains not just recipes, but information about each vegetable. So while I may not make Lotus Root Chips, I loved reading about them and am inspiring to search out some of the more exotic roots. I've just ordered a second one for a birthday present for a friend. Thank you!

5.0 out of 5 stars No More Guesswork, October 22, 2012
Bought this book because I am always looking for ways to eat healthier and add vegetables to our meals. This book is very unique and a great resource that helps you understand not only the common, but the unusual vegetables in the market. I didn't know what some of them were. I have a better understanding on how to use them in our meals and the benefits of adding them to our diet. The recipes are easy to follow. The carrot top pesto is wonderful. We loved the horseradish gnocchi and I am thinking of making it for the holidays. Got a couple of "wow's" from my boys when they had the pot roast with honey-roasted rutabagas. So glad to have this book in my kitchen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to my ROOTS, November 29, 2012
Spectacular, must-have book for cooks at all levels. I've followed Diane Morgan for years now, and she always delivers BIG. The recipes in ROOTS are inventive and accessible; the photography is gorgeous; and the book is packed with chockablock information and organized in an easy-to-follow format. Surprises include fascinating history, including a short chapter on root cellars, and there's even a recipe for sweet potato waffles by a nine-year-old friend of hers! Diane, you rock!

5.0 out of 5 stars Roots, November 11, 2012
Wonderful book! Great recipes... I was trying to lean a little more towards vegetables
as the center of my dinners and with these recipes I succeeded!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! Amazing compilation!, November 23, 2012
Amazon Customer (HORTONVILLE, WI, US) - See all my reviews
Fabulous compilation of amazing recipes, tips, ideas that gets you imagining delicious ways to incorporate amazing root veggies every day. Wonderful to have for creative and delicious ways of using all that seasonal, local produce to cook up sooner truly amazing dishes. With the help of this "Roots" encyclopedia, I can! Look up WPR, Wisconsin public radio for show with author, Oct 2012, to listen to the one hour show with author. I had it ordered before the show was even half way through. Had my copy in two days...photography is stunning! Absolutely love this book, it is a valuable addition, a must really, for any cooks lifetime cooking library. Thank you to the author for her dedication to cooking and her hard work!

5.0 out of 5 stars Roots, November 24, 2012
Great cookbook. The parsnip cake with cream cheese icing is absolutely delicious. Book was much cheaper than at other bookstores. Attractively laid out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Informative reference/cookbook, November 27, 2012
I have over two hundred cookbooks. This is one of the best I have ever bought. I'm a foodie and actually found more stuff I have not eaten in this. Writing new roots down to hunt for at my local ethnic grocery stores. And I have food allergies - think I can actually eat and cook a lot of these roots.

Fantastic job on the history, and other benefits to eating roots.

I start reading this book and can not put it down. Definitely worth the purchase!!!!!

Roots: The Definitive Compendium with more than 225 Recipes
Roots: The Definitive Compendium with more than 225 Recipes by Diane Morgan (Hardcover - September 26, 2012)
$40.00 $31.67