Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Roots: The Next Generations
Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

Format: DVD|Change

on September 22, 2003
I believe a review worth reading should include a brief description of the person giving their thoughts.To me,this helps a great deal in deciding how much credibility I will give a person's thinking.
I am a white male,48 years old,happily married going on nineteen years with five children and six grandchildren.I was born in the state of Texas,and raised to befriend people based on their actions-not the color of their skin.I,like most people,have been influenced often times by what has been taught through traditions or hearsay instead of facts,because facts often times takes some effort to discover.
I have just recently read the book Roots,and was so overcome by a multitude of aroused emotions I purchased the mini-series on DVD.My wife,children and I viewed the movies together,and have had many wonderful discussions since.It has been my experience to find movies made from books usually deficient,and so altered to make for 'better viewing' I often have some trepidation of giving my time to them.Roots was/is such a refreshing surprise in that both the movie(s) and the book are so very close in keeping with the original materials.
Mr. Alex Haley was truely a gifted person in his ability to share a story.I only wish he were yet still alive,so I could personally write him a note expressing my profound graditude in his taking the time to educate,entertain and awaken in me a compassion for a people I only thought I knew.
There is brief frontal nudity which may offend some,but in keeping with cultural historical accuracy is but a small negative in a wealth of positives.The casting and acting is above excellence.I could go on with much more accolades,but then I would be writing a novel and not a review.
I highly recommend everyone of all ages to read and or watch what I feel is one of the greatest story of a family history ever told.
I would truely like to see Roots become required reading in all schools throughout our great country.Then I believe,a "dream" would surely come true.
11 comment|179 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 9, 2002
i have seen roots again for the second time in my life. the first time i was too young to remember. but today , i have seen something that was /is so powerfull. roots evolked such stong feeling in me as well as my childern. i have not cried this much in years. to see how we(black people) came to america really touched home. i felt such a wide range of emotions. hate, anger, sadness, then forgiveness all at the same time.sitting here thinking about the movie has again forced me to tears...makes one see that what we think is a hopless situation is really nothing compared to what those in the past had been threw..so people ,,please buy or rent roots..and remember where you come from...
on June 3, 2002
This series impacted my life in a inspiring way. I learned alot about American history and the perseverance of African-Americans. It is a must-see for every human being regardless of race, culture, or nationality.
on January 10, 2002
My mother (she turned 90 on 1/4/02) and I recently re-watched this series, after we re-watched ROOTS. It/they meant much more to us now, looking back through 20+ years of our own experiences along with recent history. The casting was superb, as is the story, even though a lot of it was ugly. It evoked very strong emotions. The different time periods were recreated realistically. I was sorry that Alex Haley is no longer alive. I would have wanted to contact him. I can only hope that he was aware of the power and depth of the legacy he left. Such important works. Mama and I vowed anew to remove hate (ignorance) from our own lives and in our circles.
on July 15, 2007
I cried through out watching this powerful movie. The Next Generations documents the history of Alex Haley's family from the time they were set free from slavery all the way up until Alex is reunited with his family in Africa. This movie is inspirational in that I can identify with these people since my family was also taken from Africa and enslaved. I would urge everyone to view this movie for the history that it offers. The acting was also great. Alex Haley, thank you for sharing your wonderful history to the world. This is the best movie that I have ever witnessed in my life.
on April 7, 2007
Excellent work that continues from Roots and goes into the late 1960's. This Mini-series is as good as the original and should be released on dvd asap. Alex Haley did a great thing in sharing his family history with us when he did all his research and told it the way he did. There are too many stars in this production to mention them all. I highly recommend this mini-series to anyone interested in the history of our country and it is a good story as well.
the Whole Roots Mini-Series has touched me deeply more than anything I've ever seen.it should be a must see for all eyes because it's so moving&speaks for Past Generations&Future Ones as well.
on February 22, 2002
I love this miniseries more than the first "Roots". I guess it's because I can relate more to the later years struggle.
on December 3, 2012
This isnt as captivating and as interesting as the Original Roots, I struggled to stay interested at certain parts of it. Sometimes I think they shouldnt have filmed The Next Generations and should have let it end with the original. Some parts of this seemes a bit too long winded with too many new characters to keep up with. The original with Kunta Kinte is the best and will forever remain a classic american story.
on June 5, 2001
When I saw ROOTS in 1978 and THE NEXT GENERATIONS in 1979, I was really shocked to the truth that actually happened among Black Americans. Lynching and killing scenes were very hard for me, but I was deeply impressed to Alex Haley's ancestors - Chicken George, Tom Harvey, W.E. Palmer. One thing they had in common is gWe is free!h Thanks to the excellent castings and teleplay, I play the tapes almost everyday even when I feel depressed. Georg Stanford Brown, Stan Shaw, Marc Singer, Richard Thomas, James Earl Jones --- their performance are really impressive! In addition, Paul Koslo as Earl Crowther and Fay Hauser as Carrie Barden-Warner, and THE GREAT HENRY FONDA as Col. Frederick Warner, are also impressive, too. Don't miss this opportunity. Buy one now!