5.0 out of 5 stars I'm glad I saw this movie.
I wasn't aware that they did a Roots Christmas story until I read the description in the cable guide.
I am willing to over look the slavery issue in this movie and the fake southern accents too. That is not what attracted me to this movie. Self-sacrifice and the true meaning of Christmas did.
There are several gifts that I saw in this movie. The next...
Published on December 9, 2001 by KAT

3.0 out of 5 stars The most precious gift of all...
Based on a true story written by Alex Haley, Roots: the gift is a good incorporation of the previous six part series. The film is centred around the 'underground railroad' slave uprisings to the North during the late seventeenth century. It is a touching and thought provoking tale of white dominance, where the ultimate gift is freedom.
Published on January 14, 2001 by Clare Burman

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm glad I saw this movie., December 9, 2001
This review is from: Roots: The Gift [VHS] (VHS Tape)
There are several gifts that I saw in this movie. The next generation of children that realize slavery is wrong. The older brother explaining how he feels about slavery to the younger sister and she said to Fiddler that Toby doesn't have to be her camel in the Christmas Pagent. The mother's gift to wait until after the holidays to tell the father about her son being an abolitionist.
The sacrifice Avery Brooks' character makes when, as a freed slave, he puts his life on the line to help lead others to freedom through the underground railroad. He actually gets caught and has to wear a collar of bells. They end up hanging him because he is an abolitionist and educated to boot. I like it when he shouts out the word freedom.
Fiddler puts his own hide on the line trying to keep Kunta Kinte out of trouble when he covers for Toby when he isn't on the plantation and when he tries to stop the slave catchers from brutalizing Avery Brooks' character.
The promise of a free black child and the ultimate sacrifice both Fiddler and Toby make by deciding not to get on the boat. Actually Fiddler confesses to the abolitionist that he knows nothing about being free. Kunta Kinte remembers his life in Africa before the slave traders caught him. Fiddler also realizes that he may not survive another winter on the plantation, but Toby will not leave without him.
This was an excellent movie. I plan to watch it again when it comes on cable.

3.0 out of 5 stars The most precious gift of all..., January 14, 2001
Clare Burman (Preston, Lancashire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars A gift that keeps on giving, October 4, 2000
Susan Waszak (Chattanooga, Tennessee United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Roots: The Gift [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Although the story behind Roots: The Gift may be completely fictitious, it does provide a look into the cruelty of slavery, the need for freedom, and the ability to change. The cast of characters provides a window into these different aspects of society from the rich overbearing masters to the lowly slaves. (With actors such as Avery Brooks, LeVar Burton, Kate Mulgrew, and Tim Russ, it is a must see for all Star Trek fans.) I found the story moving, especially the climax, which is a endearing scene of self-sacrifice. If one can overlook the exceedingly forced and artificial Southern accents it is an enjoyable 94 minutes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent film!, July 30, 2005
John Wolf "www.cerm.info" (San Francisco Bay Area, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Roots: The Gift [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I am a huge fan of Roots Vol 1-6 that was introduced to me during a High School history class in 1995. Supringly it was not until Christmas 2002 that I discovered RTG. The story of RTG takes places sometime in between Vol II and III. Levar Burton returns as Kunta, and Louis Gossett Jr. returns as the Fidler. I do not wish to give the entire plot away, but will say that Kunta gets another shot as escape (as well as Fidler) but turns down the opportunity. The plot and story on this one was not quite as good as the others, but the director seems to be of the same quality, and the music score is also the same. The feel of the film is like the others. However outside of Levar and Louis all the actors are different. One of the actors laters goes on to play in the X-files.

However I will say that this movie tires allot faster than the other Roots. My other gripe is the lack of this movie on DVD. It should have beeen released on DVD by this time.

5.0 out of 5 stars I cried!, October 24, 2013
This review is from: Roots: The Gift (Amazon Instant Video)
This film is very powerful and it made me very angry. Slavery was an evil thing and it hurt people. All African Americans who see this film should see the importance of working hard and getting an education. We have to strive for excellence in life. Levar and Lou were great as usual but Avery's performance really touched me. A welcome addition to the Roots saga. A must see for fans of Roots.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love It!, December 31, 2012
This review is from: Roots: The Gift [VHS] (VHS Tape)
It is a very educational video that shows kindness in the face of suffering. It is a great tool that can teach empathy for others.

5.0 out of 5 stars great movie, February 15, 2014
This review is from: Roots: The Gift (Amazon Instant Video)
i am tired of trying to order from this company and have to go through this everytime I want to get a movie, so I will go else where since my e-mail and name is not enough

5.0 out of 5 stars roots the gift..., September 6, 2012
This review is from: Roots: The Gift (Amazon Instant Video)
I was glad to see amazon had this movie. When i first got my kindle this movie was unavalable..so when i saw it i had to get it. I seen this movie a long time ago. This is a great movie to add to anyones collection. The price was great also...now if they could only get queen and the color purple... oh and tje original shaka zulu.. over all.. great movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars This an excellent film! I enjoyed it very, October 3, 2014
This review is from: Roots: The Gift (Amazon Instant Video)
This an excellent film! I enjoyed it very, very much. Have not gotten to play it yet because I can*t find it to download it to my phone,(HTC M8), nor my tablet, (Samsung galaxy 10.1 2014 edition).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Christmas movie!, January 5, 2015
grooove "grooove" (ROCK HILL, SC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Roots: The Gift [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Great Christmas movie that I watch every year to kick off the holidays.

Roots: The Gift