Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on June 19, 2012
Seldom does a game come along that is so open-ended yet so captivating. This is a dual set, containing both the "nouns" and the "verbs" -- of course, neither has words printed on its dice. You'll only find little graphics -- sheep, scissors, etc.

The game play revolves around a single dynamic. You roll some dice, and must form a story based on the pictures that show up. This "double pack" gives you the option to use either dice that contain either objects, things, people, and animals, or also "actions." Actions can include cutting, walking, etc.

What's fun is when you start getting really absurd. Who says stories have to make sense? And who says the sheep isn't actually a robot in sheep's clothing?

There are printed rules, but some of the real fun comes when you start bending them or making up your own. For example, roll one die to see what you have to "build." Then roll 4 others, to see what you have to build it from. Then you have to make up a construction process.

So really, the options for this game are unlimited. Highly recommended for every age group, every number of people (including solitary play), and every creative/non-creative bent. Writers may even find this game helps by loosening stuck word/narrative/imagination muscles. Highly recommended.

People who are highly verbal may also like THE Book of Word Games: Parlett's Guide to 150 Great and Quick-to-Learn Word Games, which is newly back in print. (The cultural references are rather dated, but that adds to the book's charm somewhat.)
on June 13, 2012
Sure you can tell a story! But can you tell a story using dice with pictures on them?

I got this thinking I would love to play it by myself, but my fiance' joined in, and we both really enjoyed it! At first I started with the original set of Rory's Cubes, and then my fiance' suggested mixing it up and throwing in the Action Cubes. The Action Cubes make it twice as fun, and the stories twice as interesting! We tried different variations each time we played, like setting a theme before rolling, or dividing the dice up and taking turns telling the story, or just rolling one die at a time. There is NO wrong way to play, and if you're not good at telling a story, don't worry, these Cubes will help guide you! And there probably is a way to do a point system of some sort, for the competitive people, but we haven't gotten there yet. But the beauty of this game is, everyone wins! Awesome way to break the ice with a party of friends for sure.

The dice are durable, and the graphics are easy to read. They are both stored inside little book-shaped boxes with a magnet latch to keep it closed. They are easy to travel around with. If you're on a plane, train, or bus, this game can work in there without making a mess! Just roll the dice into the book box and read the story off from there!

I definitely recommend this game to others. I love to play games with my friends and I really think this one tops it.
on April 30, 2012
My grandchildren are 3 and 5 years old. My grandson(5) loves to tell stories. I started printing his story while he was creating it, and left half of the page for him to illustrate it. He was so proud! My grand daughter(3) loves to make up stories from the cubes. She is currently fascinated (or fearful) of monsters and telling a story where she controls the monster makes her very powerful!
I love the packaging. It is so easy for kids to clean up and put away.
on July 23, 2015
Fun game! I LOVE how it encourages my kids to use their imagination. After we read stories my kids (ages 4 and 6) like to make up their own stories using these dice. It is very flattering when they make up storied about me, I LOVE it. They have a BLAST with these and get soooo excited to tell their story. We love these so much, I also got a set for my cousin's kids. I think they would also be great for adults. We own a seasonal business and I think they would be excellent to use for an ice breaker during orientation. Te dice themselves are of great quality, the pictures are nice and clear (but sometimes we don't know what the picture is supposed to be of... that just gives you more options to use your imagination!). The boxes they come is are great holders and even my kids put the dice back away after each use. In addition, we've had these for almost a year and the boxes are not breaking or getting worn down, they still hold the dice so we haven;t lost one yet!
on May 3, 2016
We purchased voyages first. I REALLY love them and so does my son! So far, voyages is my favorite of the series and I think his, too. These two are both still plenty fun, but if you have a young boy go with voyages first. I think it will be fun to mix and match the 3 games and make really crazy stories! That may be the next thing we do!
on March 5, 2014
My grandson Daniel spends hours with us, his friends, and his brother telling endless stories with these remarkable little cubes. We knew he had an enormous talent for imagination but this game revealed more than we suspected. Do I sound like a proud grandma? I am one. You'll become one too when you get these story cubes.
on June 21, 2015
All I can say is that I was expecting more. Maybe my daughter's imagination is a bit limited when it comes to these, as she had a hard time piecing together stories at the roll of a dice. We used these more as, okay let's pick out the dice pictures that are easier topics to formulate a story from. You could easily do an Internet search of story starters/etc., fold and place in a bowl and have your child randomly choose. These are more novelty than anything (for us).
on March 13, 2016
. They are a great tool for getting kids imagination going. Even the adults love the crazy stories you end up with. It can make for a fun simple family game you can use in the car or on vacation.
Also it can be used as a great tool for homeschooling or just helping a child who may be struggling with english and writing.
on February 6, 2015
I love these, however, my students often get bored with them. I created a worksheet/activity to accompany them, allowing my students to write their stories and they seemed to enjoy it. They also enjoy rolling, telling a story, and then illustrating their story. These are a great idea but weren't very popular with my students who only love the iPad and video games.
on July 17, 2015
Our 5 year old loves these. Some of the stories he tells after rolling these dice will literally have me rolling laughing. If you have ever wondered what is going on in your child's head, these are the perfect tool to give you an answer.