5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT!!
After seeing all these negative reviews I decided to go ahead and write my own. My 6yo daughter got this for her birthday and I was not too happy about the idea, but when she actually convinced me to try it out with her..I was shocked! It is so easy to make, it works wonderfully and tastes great!!

She LOVES this and we are still using it almost a year later! It...
Published on November 17, 2005 by Paula Sloan

1.0 out of 5 stars This machine just barely works. I would say it's useless.
Please see my long review for Looney Tunes machine for more ideas.

It's extremely slow, requiring about 17 minutes from start to the first cone. Cones after that are not going to be much faster, if more are even possible.

It requires a ten minute warm up period before you can get started.

The quality of the cotton candy is lousy, with lots...
Published on May 18, 2005 by Lawrence Brown

1.0 out of 5 stars This machine just barely works. I would say it's useless., May 18, 2005
Lawrence Brown "Larry Brown" (HOUSTON, TX United States) - See all my reviews
= Durability:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Cotton Candy Machine (Toy)
Please see my long review for Looney Tunes machine for more ideas.

It requires a ten minute warm up period before you can get started.

The quality of the cotton candy is lousy, with lots of granules of unmelted sugar.

It makes only the smallest amount of candy per batch. Notice that they don't show you a sample cone on the box. It makes a cone about the size of a candy coated apple.

You can only run about ten minutes after the warmup period before it overheats, beeps, and starts a shutdown cycle.

It uses an innovative mechanism of heated air, but that causes the floss to come out too dry and it won't stick together properly as you roll it on the cone. The cone does not come out pretty.

Plastic finger guard keeps little fingers out of the moving parts. That's good, but unfortunately the guard interferes with the flow of the floss and causes it to clump on the outside of the spin head. Every batch will cause some clumping, and after just two the clumping is so bad the floss can no longer flow and you have to shut down for a difficult and frustrating cleanup.

It requires a cool down period where you have to turn off the heater but allow the motor to continue running. You're going to have a hard time getting any child to observe those rules.

Cleanup is difficult because of the melted and hardened sugar that collects on the head.

On the plus side:

No exposed moving parts make this safer than Looney Toons.

Bowl comes with a cover to help keep sugar and floss from making a mess.

Amazon will allow you to buy 99 of them, so maybe you actually could get some quantity out of this thing after all!

2.0 out of 5 stars Sad Cotton Candy Maker!!, October 31, 2004
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Cotton Candy Machine (Toy)
We purchased this Cotton Candy machine because the only reason my children (age 5 and 3) want to go to the Circus, Zoo, etc. is for the Cotton Candy. How easy to just make it at home!!

The instructions are not very clear and you have to let it heat up for 10 minutes before you can begin to use it. ( Tell that to 2 kids DYING for Cotton Candy.) Then we put in the sugar, only 1 teaspoon, and PRESTO it made Cotton Candy....But only about a large cotton ball size. I kept waiting for more, but that was it. Now just imagine splitting that between the kids!!!! It was fun and tasted great (the one whole bite) but is not worth it for children. In order to get even a small portion, it took forever and the kids were frustrated. I would not purchase again. But would maybe buy a different brand.

2.0 out of 5 stars Cotton Candy or MUSH!!!, November 19, 2004
Steven J. Frato "SJF Sr." (Pompton Lakes, New Jersey United States) - See all my reviews
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Cotton Candy Machine (Toy)
I bought this product last year for my son who was dying to make some Cotton Candy We sat dowm with the entire family to play and with extream disapointment the machine gave us a little wet string ball. It had more liquid then cotton!!! It looked like a crystal stick. I did this over and over in hope I was doing something wrong Unfortunetly I did it right. I would not purchase this fOR ANY CHILD.

1.0 out of 5 stars awful toy, NOT worth the money, November 22, 2004
This review is from: Cotton Candy Machine (Toy)
This thing made us wait to heat up,made the cotton candy for a very short while before we had to stop...cool down,clean, for three times in a row. The cotton candy mix just kept getting gunked up so that it would'nt make the cotton candy.I would not recomend for any one.It upsets kids & parents alike...

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT!!, November 17, 2005
This review is from: Cotton Candy Machine (Toy)

She LOVES this and we are still using it almost a year later! It is excellent quality, lots of fun and so easy to use.

For those that can't get it to work right, YOU are doing something wrong. If you read the instructions and do it just as it says, it is great! She loves the flavors that come with it and will be getting some more packets in her stocking this year. Please don't let the negative reviews alter your desicion to buy this, you will not be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars happy happy happy, December 5, 2004
This review is from: Cotton Candy Machine (Toy)
I am 31 years old and love cotton candy, so i decided to go out and try this machine. What a great experience it was. i read some of the other reviews, the directions are very clear and very easy to follow. I do understand the concern about the recall so i took the liberty of calling the consumer affairs hotline and the only model that is being recalled is model # 5696. Since then safety measures, and replacement parts have been put in the newer machines sold today.

1.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't get it to work either, December 5, 2005
This review is from: Cotton Candy Machine (Toy)
Well, I wish I would have reviewed the rating on this one. I bought it on sale for my son's 12th Birthday. The first day we tried it, there really wasn't much cotton candy coming out; enough for one bitful. Each time we added another teaspoon of sugar, less cotton candy came out. So I decided to take it apart and clean it. The second time we tried it, i guess the parts weren't dry enough, so melted sugar started coming out. So I took it apart and cleaned it again. This time I allowed the parts to dry for two days. Then we tried it again for the 3rd time. Cotton candy started coming out great, but it was only enough for one bitful, then melted sugar started coming out again. Then it started smoking. So I turned it off, and let it cool down. This thing is going back to the store. I really was determined to make it work, but I just couldn't. I wouldn't recommend this product at all. Also, the directions need to be made a bit clearer.

5.0 out of 5 stars We Love This Toy!, November 12, 2004
This review is from: Cotton Candy Machine (Toy)
We really love the cotton candy maker...my daughters aged 7 and 4 think it's the greatest. It does have to heat up as mentioned in another review, but this was like the first thing in the instructions - it was very clear. After it heats up, you can keep making cotton candy without having to reheat everytime (as long as you don't unplug it)...each batch makes 1-1.5 cups of cotton candy. My only complaint is that I haven't been able to find replacements for the paper cones in stores (although they are available through mailorder) -- so we use a mixing spoon to scoop the candy out.

1.0 out of 5 stars on recall, November 10, 2004
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Cotton Candy Machine (Toy)
did you know that this product was on recall in 2002 because it overheated and started fires in homes. Two people were actually burned. If you want a cotton candy machine go for one that is sold by a real company that makes them such as Bass-Tech

4.0 out of 5 stars try this..., October 24, 2005
This review is from: Cotton Candy Machine (Toy)
Lost of people are giving this toy negative reviews. After a bit of experimentation, we tried making cotton candy using decorator sugar and this works great! There are no sticky, stringy, granules in the cotton candy. It is also fun because of the variety of colors! If the machine starts to smoke, you need to clean out the parts. We do this by soaking them in hot water! Don't be afraid to buy this toy, it's great!

Cotton Candy Machine