4.0 out of 5 stars Several products in one!
Published on June 9, 2005 by Jessica Price

1.0 out of 5 stars Pink Vaseline
I bought this because I've heard people liking it, and telling me it was an all-natural product.
So I was delighted when I saw this in the store, because I didn't think they sold them here in Europe. The price was very stiff, but ohwell.

Published on January 6, 2010 by Tornerose

4.0 out of 5 stars Several products in one!, June 9, 2005
Jessica Price "Guitargrrrl" (zanesville, ohio United States) - See all my reviews
I gave it a 4 out of 5 due to the fact that the other reviews were right in that it doesn't last too long on your lips. However, there are several things that are wonderful about it. this product is great for dry, chapped, or windburned skin, diaper rash, or blemishes. A tip from a make - up artist lead me to use it on my cheeks and brow bones lightly for a soft glow, as well as using it as pomade or anti frizz agent in my hair, and a brow tamer to use with your brow brush. I'm getting ready to order a couple more while I'm on here. For $5 I can carry around a tin that does several things for me in one. I think it's worth it. By the way, it doesn't take much - I've had it for 6 months!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Since 1892! I'll tell you why., July 29, 2012
It's hard to believe that there is a popular cosmetic still around that started in the Victorian era. 1892 to be exact.
Smith's Rose bud salve/lip balm is still valid today, just as it was 100years ago. We are returning to the lost
and gotten formulas of the past. Not that this was lost or ever forgotten.
I love the packaging, please don't ever "update" or change to become modern. I love having something vintage by
my bed side.
The real reasons I'm writing this, as you see I could go on and on. Is the product itself. Yes it is part petro based,
but it's high grade petro, and it's mixed with cotton seed oil, which is highly lubricating and an excellent source of vitamin E.
Not to mention the rose oil, which is anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, and soothing to dry, rough, sensitive, and re-
active skin. Many countries use rose oil to treat break outs, irritations, and the like. As I've mentioned and even the other
reviews show this product has been time tested. Over 100 yrs and going.
Use as a lip gloss, a chap stick, with a lip brush mix with your favorite lipstick to create a softer version of your lipstick.
Use while snow sking on cheeks for windburn. Rub into cuticles at night before going to bed. Keep by bedside.
Use as brow groomer, use on lids for for glossy lid look. instead of expensive eye gloss pots. Also, on blemishes,
minor burns, insect bites. It's suppose to cure diper rash.
Remember it's anti-inflammatory. Some say use on rough knees, elbows, feet. That just
seems to use up really fast, and I don't want to use something from one container on my face that I'm using on my feet. (But I bet
it works.) The one I use for those areas is Elizabeth Arden's 8hr cream, which has been around for ever, and is also sold here on Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just Vaseline, April 6, 2012
Pandra Selivanov (San Diego, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I live in San Diego, where it's often hot and always dry, so lip balms are important. I have used Burt's Bees lip balms for years and been very satisfied with them. However, I am always on the lookout for the next great new advance in lip care. The Rosebud Perfume Company's Rosebud Salve is an old product, but I was intrigued by all the hype surrounding it and decided to give it a try. I'm glad I did.

I had to get used to the feel of it-it's very different from the heavy waxy feeling of Burt's Bees. It moisturizes and protects as well as those balms, with the addition of a beautiful pink color and shine on my lips. It feels very slick when I first put it on, a feeling that disappears after a few minutes, yet my lips feel good. They're very soft and a little fuller, a nice bonus.

I read a number of reviews pointing out that this lip salve is just pink Vaseline. Yes, one of the ingredients (there are only three) is petrolatum, the actual name of Vaseline, which is a brand name. Petrolatum is recognized by the Food and Drug Administration as an approved over-the-counter skin protectant. I have had good results in the past using plain Vaseline on my lips when they were very chapped, but I have not used it regularly because it does have a nasty taste if it gets in your mouth. I also don't like the smell of it.

This stuff smells good. It has a very lovely rose scent-not strong, just enough to notice when you open the tin. Not surprising, because the second ingredient is Aromol, the name given to the blend of seven essential rose oils in the salve. The rose has been named Herb of the Year 2012 by the International Herb Association for its many uses, which extend far beyond making up a pretty bouquet. Rose essential oil has antibacterial, antifungal, antiseptic, and antiviral characteristics and the scent is used in aromatherapy to combat depression and anxiety. Small wonder this salve is so useful for soothing the skin.

The third ingredient, cottonseed oil, does not have any particular benefit for the skin but it does have a major benefit for the salve. Cottonseed oil is loaded with tocopherols, which gives products a long shelf life. Considering how little of the salve is needed and how long a tin is likely to last, this is a definite selling point in my opinion.

You get a pretty good-sized tin. It's almost a full ounce of the salve. The tin is round and sturdy and easy to open. I have not had a problem with it opening accidentally in my pocket or my backpack. It has an old-fashioned design with little roses running around the rim and the top stamped with more roses and some basic information about the salve. The bottom of the tin lists some of the uses for the salve. I am very pleased with this salve and will be buying more of it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Through rose-coloured glosses: a nifty little find, February 7, 2005
A relatively well-kept secret in the cosmetic world, Rosebud Salve has quickly become one of my favorite products. (In fact, coming from a still-recovering former lip gloss junkie, that's saying a lot.) I find it particularly useful as an overnight balm, both softening and soothing tired lips in one go. It has a very subtle rosy fragrance, and it gives your lips just a hint of natural-looking color, too, one that can easily accommodate skin of all shades and tones. Oddly enough, I've also found it somewhat useful for small blemishes. When used overnight, one dot of this salve appears to help fade some of them -- although not being a dermatologist, and knowing how varied skin can be, I certainly wouldn't attest to those results for everyone.

If this were a longer-lasting balm, it would surely deserve all 5 stars. As is the unfortunate case with most natural-looking glosses, however, it doesn't stay on very long. Yet overnight, and for the oh-so-subtly glossy -- not glassy -- look of it, I definitely recommend Rosebud Salve as being worth a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff!, August 25, 2005
I was given this by a friend, and it's great! As a lip balm, I am very, very satisfied. My lips are soft and smooth after a few days. It's great as cuticle conditioner too. Better than vaseline, way better. I plan on getting a few to add to Christmas gifts, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars want the simplicity of a good, old-fashioned product?, March 28, 2006
Is it as good as they claim? There's no doubt- the lip balm, moisturizer, wild hair tamer is considered the gold-standard of lip balms. Celebrities, beauty editors and beauty addicts worldwide go crazy for it. It's soft, supple, slightly rose-scented and slightly tinted, but goes on clear. Well worth the five bucks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightfully soothing and deliciously scented!, September 13, 2006
Smith's Rosebud Salve is an all-purpose skin preparation. It was first invented in 1892. This delightful salve works beautifully as a delicately scented lip gloss/balm. It comes in a delightfully retro tin containing .8 oz of the product. One container lasts me for about 10 months with daily use.

Keep a tin handy to keep lips smooth, hydrate dry cuticles and to moisten and protect dry or chapped skin. This mild formula contains essential oils and is always soothing and healing. Highly recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pink Vaseline, January 6, 2010

I put some on, and after a few minutes my lips were dry again. Thinking it was just adjustment, I put on some more but when my previosuly unchapped lips started to chap, I figured something was up, and started to search the internet.

It's a Petrolatum-base, so no wonder I had problems. I should have taken the time to read the text properly, I didn't see it in the store. But it says so right on the lid "Contains - cotton seed oil, aromol, with essential oils blended in a special PETROLATUM Base" wich is almost the same as mineral oil.

So, this is nothing more that rose-coloured vaseline.
If vaseline works for you, then great (although I suggest you save your money and buy the pure stuff instead).
But if you're sensitive, like me, it only makes your problems worse.

1.0 out of 5 stars Just Vaseline plus color and smell, January 24, 2014
This review is from: Rosebud Salve Tin, .8 Ounce (Misc.)
Has nothing to do with rose at all.
Very oily, leaves finger print on surface.
Not good for lips, oily for the first several minutes and then dry as before use.
Smell is not pleasant. It seems that the maker tried very hard to make it smell like something old from drug store.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Stuff Ever!!, December 1, 2007
I picked up a tin on a whim @ Sephora.. AWESOME!! It is great for any dry or irritated skin... I used a dab on my winter dry heels--they look great now! I exercise out in the cold and this is a great product for the outdoor person-- a dab on lips and cheeks protects AND adds a little blush of color. Good for hands as well. I do wish it came in a larger tin though...

Rosebud Salve Tin, .8 Ounce