5.0 out of 5 stars Great book BUT...
This is a great reference book to have. I love the paperback version and I like the recipies. However, I also bought Rosemary Gladstar's Familiy Herbal, different title and different cover, thinking it was a different book. It is the EXACT same book page for page. So don't buy both.
Published on May 19, 2009 by A. M. Martin

1.0 out of 5 stars Lacking in Accuracy - Severely
Please excuse me, but as a practicing Herbalist I have to speak up. I browsed through just the pages that were available for 'looking inside', and found many inaccuracies. Among them, the use of Ginseng and Ginko Biloba being used interchangeably (they are far from it,) and not indicating that there is a vast difference in use between Siberian Ginseng, and both Panax...
Published on May 1, 2012 by Zyana

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book BUT..., May 19, 2009
This review is from: Rosemary Gladstar's Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health: 175 Teas, Tonics, Oils, Salves, Tinctures, and Other Natural Remedies for the Entire Family (Paperback)

4.0 out of 5 stars Overhwhelmed but inspired, August 12, 2009
I am new to the world of herbalism and have just begun exploring this ancient wisdom. This is the sixth book I have read on the topic. I am excited to try many of the recipes and have already ordered a few bulk herbs to make a few tinctures to treat the inevitable colds my household will suffer this winter. I am in awe and completely overwhelmed by the vast knowledge of Gladstar and authors like her. This was an enjoyable book to read.

That being said, I do have one critique of the book (or maybe the lifestyle suggested by the book, not sure which). The author suggests that readers ingest so many tinctures, tonics, teas, foods, etc... each day that I wondered how anyone could live this "natural" lifestyle without getting sick to their stomachs or becoming bankrupt. If I followed the advice in the book, I'd have neither the time nor money to do much else. Who has the time to make and drink several cups of several kinds of tea each day?? This is not realistic for a working mother with 4 children like myself. I understand that perhaps this is not what the author intended, but she does not really give clear advice as to how someone like me (who cannot buy 100 herbs and eat/drink them all day) can put together a sensible and affordable regimen.

All in all, great book. I will seek out others by this fascinating writer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Generous Herbalist, November 23, 2008
Rosemary Gladstar is in my opinion one of the "true" people in healing. She offers information in the manner of one who wants to share rather than with hold or profit. I believe her work with Seed Savers supports my view. This paper back book which I bought for less than fifteen dollars is a treasure trove of information. She wants people to understand plants and use them for good . She also communicates the need for respecting the plant world which is after all part of our world. Her recipes are clear and easy to follow. Her books are always near at hand and I use them often. This is a true bargain and a good investment. Thank you Rosemary!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST have!, March 9, 2009
I love this book so much. My poor copy is dog-eared, book marked, high lighted and noted so much already!
If you are interested in learning how to take care of yourself without harmful OTC medications, toxic body care products and dangerous modern medical remedies, check this book out.
As it says, it has 175 recipes for everything you need: teas and tinctures for mental and physical health, lotions and potions for your body, and simple salves, ointments and balms for everyday bites, bumps, cuts and bruises.
I would also recommend [...] for buying the herbs needed in these recipes. They sell organic and wildcrafted herbs and EVERYTHING you need to make the recipes in this book.

Enjoy your new craft! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best herb books on the market today, November 20, 2008
Ms. Gladstar truly has a great approach towards herbs. However, this book has it all which was to my surprise and pictures that are in color to help those who needs to know what the plant looks like to seek it out. It is truly one of the best herb reference books on the market today, even though, most of the remedies are towards women's health, there are plenty of topics for men as well with remedies. DO NOT over look this book if you are truly a lover of herbs and alternative health lifestyles with herbs this is highly recommended!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensable Resource, February 21, 2009
Throughout my journey of trying to develop a more holistic lifestyle, I constantly find myself referencing one of Rosemary Gladstar's herbal guides. She is truly annointed in her craft of plant-based healing, and I have yet to experience a recipe that has disappointed me. In this latest book edition, you will find an abundance of both traditional and "new" herb definitions - along with natural blends in which to use for both mental and physical health / beauty. There is currently no greater resource than this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Book!, September 5, 2010
I am a student of naturopathy and herbalism. This book was recommended by one of my herbal teachers in Charlottesville, VA. I have used it many times. The recipes are great! It is an informative book with an herbs listing in the back with descriptions and uses,(other books go into greater detail but this is a good supplement to those texts) recommended general dose amounts for adults and children and includes a helpful equivalents chart.It simply teaches how to make tinctures, syrups, salves, decoctions and infusions AND MORE. It has informative sections for Everyday Ailments, Women, Men, Children and Elder Care. It is well written and easy to use. It is very practical even if you have no prior experience. I give this book a five star thumbs up rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars absolutely wonderful, informative and inspiring, May 19, 2010
Of all the herbal books I own (and I own many....) this is on the list of one of my absolute favorites. I've made many of the herbal "recipes" Rosemary lists for different ailments me or my friends have had, or even just for fun or for health up-keep. They are accessible and effective. Rosemary Gladstar has a wonderful spirit that comes out in her writing and her love of the green world seeps out of the pages.... I reference this book very, very often. I consider it a must have and full heartedly recommend this wonderful book. Thank you Rosemary Gladstar!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Herbal Reference, April 11, 2009
Wonder what to do with all those beautiful herbs you have been growing? Then this book will be a wonderful tool for you and your family. There are many tea, personal care, and health recipes and remedies. I like that Gladstar considers laboratory studies of herbs and lends her personal take on them. I have seen Gladstar's recipes in many books, as she is highly regarded as a cultivator of well being.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book altered my life's path, February 8, 2014
I was an internet herbalist before I purchased Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health by Rosemary Gladstar. I would devour her lovingly crafted passages while at work, day after day. On the second or third reading of this book, she came into the cafe where I work. I was able to make her a tea, give her a hug, and allow her to beam her light into my life. After that meeting I decided to put a few roots into this herbal study and make it mean something - I read every book I could get my hands on, attended every class I could afford (and some I couldn't, but made them happen regardless!), and grew into this wonderfully healing world. This book was the stepping stone I needed to invigorate a passion I couldn't yet define. I am grateful to her, and to this book. It is still the one I reach for first, and the one I reference when helping friends or family. Thank you, Rosemary, and thank you to those who encouraged you to write this book. It is a cherished piece of my herbal library.