1 Review

4.0 out of 5 stars Helping my Autistic Son with processing, April 5, 2008
This review is from: Rosetta Stone V3: English (U.S.), Level 1 & 2 (CD-ROM)
We are native English Speakers with an Autistic son. We got an idea to try this to improve his processing skills as they relate to communication and it is helping! He is 6 years old, and had a good vocabulary already, but doesn't really communicate well and when he does there are long delays between responses. Rosetta Stone V3 English Level 1 & 2, is working great. He loves "playing" with it on the computer. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is that when they break down words to teach it in parts they don't use root word, plus ending, nor syllabic breaks. They break it up into pieces that make no sense to me as a BA English grad. I worry a teeny bit that he'll learn poor syllabic construction, but his larger problem is the actual communication so I'm just thrilled it's helping him.

Since it's computer based, it removes the sensory overload of trying to decipher language while also looking at a human face (difficult for many Autistics), so he is getting to practice communication "in isolation" to get up to speed. We then take the phrases and exercises he works on in isolation and bring them into our daily life so that we are bridging the gap between machine and person. The transition is VERY smooth for us, and as a result, his response times with humans is much shorter now when we are implementing the Rosetta Stone exercises in person. We haven't finished both levels yet, and I hope that when we do, we'll continue to see improvements in more and more areas of his pragmatic communication.

Also common to Autistics is the confusion of pronouns and gender tags (he, she, they, his, her, etc.), this program is helping GREATLY with that.

Rosetta Stone V3: English (U.S.), Level 1 & 2
Rosetta Stone V3: English (U.S.), Level 1 & 2 by Rosetta Stone (Mac OS X, Windows 2000 / Vista / XP)
Out of stock