Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Rosewill RDCR-11003 74-In-1 USB 3.0 3.5-Inch Internal Card Reader with USB Port (RDCR-11003)
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eli Paperboy Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on January 17, 2012
In our house we have several devices with various media types, so we needed something for our HTPC with fast transfer rates. This unit has the USB 3.0 internal connector and supports tons of media, so it was a good fit.

Unlike another review, my unit has no issues reading compact flash (in fact it seems bizarre he would rate it 1 star considering CF is an advertised feature -- clearly a defective unit). Defective products happen, what matters is how the company handles it (which leads me to my next point).

This reader comes with a default black faceplate, and an optional silver one. My unit unfortunately came with a broken black faceplate (be warned if you attempt to remove it). Rather than send the whole unit back for a simple piece of plastic, I sent Rosewill an email. Within hours they responded back asking me if it was ok that they send me a replacement faceplate (at no cost of course).

My only gripe (if it can even be considered one) is that the CF doesn't insert into the reader very far. It just feels like it should go in further, or that a bump with an inserted card may damage something. This of course doesn't affect anything at all, it just seems like it should go in at least 1/4 of the way.
on November 28, 2013
Warning - you must have free 20 pin USB 3.0 connection available in your System to have this work.

You may have a 20 Pin USB 3.0 Connection on your Motherboard - most newer Motherboards will have them. (I have an Asus P9X79 Pro and it has ONE 20 Pin USB 3.0 Connection). Or

You can buy a PCI-e Card like the Anker Uspeed PCI-E to USB 3.0 Port Express Card, with 1 USB 3.0 20 Pin connector.

Each of those will give you a 20 pin USB 3.0 Connector in your System. However, if it's on your Motherboard it may not be free, In that situation, you'll have to determine what the port is used for, and if you can do without using it, then use it for the reader, or just get the Anker PCI-express card to add the port.

Note: the 20 pin connector on my motherboard was used to power two USB 3.0 ports on the front of my tower. At the time of installation, I chose to disconnect those two ports and use the 20 pin connector for this device. Later on I purchased the Anker PCI-express card to regain the functionality of my tower's front USB 3.0 ports.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For my Review:

It's a great Reader. Works blazingly fast. I'm able to transfer 929 photos that were 3 megapixels in size, on an micro-SD card, to my hard drive, through this reader, in less than a minute. I was amazed! Once the transfer began it zoomed through the files, reading and transferring each one. USB 3.0 transfers are amazing. Before this I used a regular reader connected through a regular SATA port, or a Card Reader connected through a USB 2.0 port. In those cases it would have been a long time to transfer over 929 photos.

This reader/writer can read over 74 types of cards, or so the manufacturer claims. Since I only have SD, micro-SD, Memory Stick Pro, and Compact Flash Cards, that's all I could test. And I must say, all transfer FAST, really FAST, through this USB 3.0 Reader/Writer.

Yes, this is actually a Reader/Writer - you can write data to your cards with this device. Your System will recognize it as FIVE Different Hard Drives - all with a USB 3.0 Connection.

The Drives are designated as:

1. Generic -- USB 3.0 CRW-CF/MD USB Device
2. Generic -- USB 3.0 CRW-MS USB Device
3. Generic -- USB 3.0 CRW-SD USB Device
4. Generic -- USB 3.0 CRW-SD/MS USB Device
5. Generic -- USB 3.0 CRW-SM/xD USB Device

You can see they are named based on the type of cards being read - and they will appear in Window's Explorer and My Computer as legitimate Hard Drives - all the time, whether or not you have a card inserted, or not.

Warning - if you have a lot of drives on your PC, (say you partition your hard drives into many drives), have numerous book drives, pocket drives, etc., you must be careful if you come near having more than 26 different drives on your PC. If you do, I'm not sure the ones over will be recognized, or not.

Another Warning - If you use Compact Flash Cards - they must be inserted UPSIDE DOWN. yep, upside down. I'm not sure why, it may just be internal wiring or something, but if you input your CF card the correct way, it will not be read. You must place it in with the end ridge upwards - upside down.

Did I cover everything? I think so. Just remember, this Reader/writer is FAST. So much faster than a USB 2.0 Reader or a regular SATA Reader. You can read the cards, as well as write to them. And yes, I will write them sometimes - if I want to transfer data to another PC, Data Cards work just as well as a Flash drive.

I've been using this for about a year now and I've had no, absolutely no problems as of yet.

And yes, I've read other reviews, all I can say is:

1. Ensure your connections are tight. i.e. Make sure that when you connect the cable to your motherboard's 20 pin USB 3.0 connector, you make sure it goes in all the way, and is a tight connection. You don't want it to be loose, or have the propensity of coming loose.

2. This only comes with a 20 pin USB 3.0 Connector. There is NO USB 2.0 Connector - NONE! You can only connect it to a USB 3.0 20 pin connector on your motherboard or on a PCI-e USB 3.0 Port with a 20 pin USB 3.0 connector.

3. This uses a small external bay - a 3.5 inch bay. It does not use a full size external bay. So make sure your System has room for it.

4. If you are not currently using any of your USB 3.0 ports, check to be sure you have the latest USB 3.0 Drivers. Go to your System's manufacturer's website, or your Motherboard's website - there you should be able to find the latest updates for your System.
on January 14, 2013
When I first got this I had a problem because it had a 19 Pin connector for USB 3.0 and I was already using the one on my mother board. I was pretty bummed I didn't read the description better. Not to worry, I ordered a USB 3.0 internal PCi card with a header and power supply connector on it. Hooked everything up and..... It didn't work. I looked in device manager and saw all the storage volumes were not starting. This is why I bought this card reader because my other one didn't work. After a month of searching on the web I found the culprit. Acronis True Image 2009. I uninstalled that and all works perfect now. So if you have this or another card reader and it only works once after booting you may have an app that is messing with the USB ports. Before I uninstalled Acronis I was getting around my problem by disabling the volume and then reenabling it in Device Manager.

Now after getting it to work it seems to upload faster than my older reader. Don't know why they made it so the Compact Flash card has to be put in upside down but it does, unlike other reviewers I had no problem inserting it. I haven't tried all the other slots but I'm sure they'll work. It seems well built and it's nice having another USB 3.0 connector on the unit. Oh and the cord was plenty long to reach across my full tower case.
on May 6, 2013
I had one of these that lasted a few months. Then the card reader part died. The USB 3.0 port worked. Rosewill issued me a refund which I spent on a second one. This one lasted only about a month, then it died the same way. I have an ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe motherboard with onboard USB connector. Don't know if this has anything to do with it, but if you have this or a similar motherboard, I would not waste your money. I won't buy a third one.

UPDATE: I recently discovered that for some reason on Windows 8, this thing won't work if you map the "devices" to folders. This is what I was doing. In device manager, the devices show up under disk drives AND under portable devices. Under portable devices, they show as the mapped folders, and have a yellow triangle with the exclamation point. I don't know why, but I decided to remove the mapped folders and just assign drive letters to the devices. After doing this, I rebooted and now the thing is working. Wow, this seems a bit strange. In any case, I wanted to update my review because at this time, it's working.

I've found that it is PAINFULLY slow with my old Compact Flash card from my old Nikon. It's quick with SD cards. That's all I have, so I can't comment on the other slots.

Stay tuned to see if it lives for a while...
on July 12, 2012
This memory card reader is really excellent. You barely have to do anything to get it working, so it's a very good decision if you're not great at DIY PC building.

But before you buy this, I would suggest checking out two things.

1. Make sure your PC has a USB 3.0 internal connector, as you'll need one. Many lower end PCs probably won't have this.
2. Also make sure that you have the latest Driver for USB 3.0 on your motherboard.

I thought I had the latest USB 3.0 driver, but this product wouldn't work. That was the culprit.

Once you install this product and you have your USB 3.0 driver, Windows will automatically find the drivers and get it working for you ;)
on June 4, 2014
Purchased April 23, 2014, this reader installed easily and I had high hopes since it appears to be solidly built. Unfortunately, when I went to use it two days ago there was no response when I inserted an SD card and it was then that I noticed that the power light was off. After re-seating the connector on the motherboard (with no effect) I then removed the unit from my computer and opened it. The internal circuitry consists of one small board with all electronics and two connectors that connected to the motherboard cable via standard USB-3.0 connector types.

Hoping that it was a cable problem, I replaced the motherboard cable with a USB-3.0 cable connected to a USB 3.0 jack on the back of my computer (this uses a different USB 3.0 host controller than the Motherboard connector). The device still didn't enumerate so it is clear that the circuit board is dead. Given the mild office environment in which this device was installed, I'd say this is a very unreliable device and I won't buy another.
on January 30, 2014
Installed with a PCIE card to make the 20pin connection because my mother board doesn't have one. PC card installed without issue with zero drag on boot. Plugged in this reader and then the fun began...boot went from 42 seconds to 6 minutes, 54 seconds. No amount of tweaking could get the boot time down. Then, the USB3 port wasn't seen by windows at all and the CF card reader (in addition to being upside down) was only seen and picked up about 50% of the time. I fooled with this for a day and then just took it out. Boot time went back to 42 seconds. I hooked up a different 20 pin USB reader and it worked fine with no effect on boot time. This truly is a piece of crap and hit or miss if you'll get one that works. As a photographer, I need reliable CF readers; this ain't it.

Win 7/64, Asus mobo, and 12 GB RAM.
on May 4, 2015
This is one of the few full USB 3.0 card readers, as it uses the speeds for the cards AND the USB port, unlike many others. I already had a problem with the MicroSD slot. It did not properly detect when a card was inserted or removed, only showing that a card was in 100% of the time. This was remedied by removing the cover and bending the small, flimsy connector that closes the circuit to tell the reader and PC there was a card in there. After fixing the flaw, it works perfectly. I did not find any problem with removing the face plate, it seems you just need to be a bit more delicate than others.
on February 12, 2014
The face plate was hard to swap out. Had to remove the top case cover to release the plastic tab on one side of the face plate to change the face plate to silver. Once this was installed with the Anker Uspeed PCI-E to USB 3.0 port Express Card and the latest driver for the PCI express card was installed from Anker's website, the only port that would work on the Rosewill card reader was the USB 3.0 jump drive port. I tried to get the card reader to read SD and Micro SD cards with no success. Another thing I experienced after installing the PCI card driver was that the CD drive on my system would not open to get the small driver CD out of the drive. After the Rosewill card reader was removed from the system to pack it for return, and the PC was powered back up, the CD drive would then open again. I called Anker and Rosewill, Anker told me that their card appeared to be working properly for me and that the problem was with the Rosewill reader. The Rosewill tech support rep told me to take the reader out of the system, open the reader housing and wiggle connections. The connection was actually glued or potted together to ensure it would not come apart. This seemed really stupid to me but I did it any way and reinstalled and powered up the system to see if it would read SD or Micro SD cards. No success again. If I could find another card reader with the same capabilities as this one in a different brand with good ratings, I would get a different brand. I decided to get the reader replaced with another identical unit, but I will be surprised if another one will work. What a pain this is dealing with low quality after market components.
on December 28, 2011
This media reader is just what I needed. It plugs into the USB 3.0 header on modern motherboards so the cable does not need to go out of the back of the computer into one of your precious USB 3.0 ports. I did not have the problems another reviewer had with Compact Flash cards. You need to insert it into the reader with the label side down and it worked flawlessly.

Update: The Compact Flash port is pretty awful (sadly most brands seem to have this problem). It's so shallow that you will likely bend the pins eventually. It doesn't help that that the card goes into the reader label side down.