5.0 out of 5 stars All the in's and out's needed for foolproof baking.
Published on March 25, 1999

1.0 out of 5 stars True Baker
Like all true chefs, bakers, or anyone in the restaurant industry, this cookbook either gives false information or leaves out ingredients because what you get is certainly not what the author creates for themselves. Case in point, Soho glob cook recipe states to immediately remove the cookies from the parchment paper when removed from the oven and place on cooling rack,...
Published 6 months ago by rsbatem

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars All the in's and out's needed for foolproof baking., March 25, 1999
By A Customer
This is my all time favorite book. I liked that she was strong enough to put such a Title on a book when we live in such a so called Health conscience world. We all have to live a little and with this cookbook you can. I have never had one recipe fail that I've made from this. And if not for anything else buy it for her pie crust recipes and hints. It would make a great wedding gift for a bride as she explains all the necessary hints for baking, but in easy to read language. She doesn't scare you off by making you think you have to be a professional to do the recipes in her book.

4.0 out of 5 stars The title says it all..., May 3, 2004
Since I lived in Boston for a while I had the distinct pleasure of eating cakes that had actually been made at Rosie's Bakery. Sadly, after a while the quality dropped. For example, the icings started to taste more of shortening than of butter. Now, however, I can reclaim the original favorites in my own kitchen. As the title "All-Butter, Fresh Cream, Sugar-Packed" indicates, these recipes at least stick to using premium ingredients.
Each chapter starts off with some of the things Judy Rosenberg learned along the way, and her explanations for how to make these things work. Little things like lining cake pans with parchment paper, cooling cake layers in pans, etc. If you're a relatively new cook it'll be very useful. If you're an experienced cook it might be worth a glance through to see if there are any tricks you haven't picked up yet.
There are some truly decadent treats in here: this is not a cookbook you should use while dieting! You'll find Rosie's Famous Chocolate Sour-Cream Cake Layers, Queen Raspberry Cake, and one of our favorites, Cold Fudge Sundae Cake, which involves whipped cream and raspberries. In the fruit arena you'll find a Bittersweet Orange Cake with a Lemon Glaze, an Applesauce Raisin Cake, Mustard Gingerbread, etc. You'll even find a few cheesecakes, as well as a handful of frostings and fillings. I think a little more variety would have been nice, but the things that are here are quite good. I'm not entirely sure why there's a cookie chapter here since there's an entirely separate Rosie's Bakery "Cookie Book." It seems a bit redundant, particularly for those people interested in buying both. There are also bar cookies, pies and tarts, custards and puddings, and so on; the custards and puddings are my favorites.
I'm not overly fond of the layout of this book. The little hearts all over the place and the pink chapter intro pages are a bit much. Chapter titles like "Cutie Pies" come off as saccharine--titles are often puns. The layout isn't very user-friendly. The quality of the food rates a five, but the presentation issues are just enough to bring it down a bit. Call my rating a 4.5.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this before it goes out of print!, January 4, 2008
TravelMod (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rosie's Bakery All-Butter, Fresh Cream, Sugar-Packed, No-Holds-Barred Baking Book (Paperback)
I have owned this book for years. It is completely reliable, the recipes are pretty simple, and the results are outstanding. I have had failures with other expert books such as the Pie or the Cake Bibles; Rosie's book has never let me down. This is not aimed at diet-conscious bakers or consumers. But when you want to wow someone with flavor and authenticity, when it's time for a splurge, when you want to bake something that tastes like baked goods used to taste, you can turn to this book with confidence.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like learning from a warm, friendly pro, March 28, 2007
This is such a refreshing book to read and own. It is organized in the author's own homely style, like a mom tells her daughter - these are the basics you need to know to bake cakes, then cake recipes follow; then cookies, pies and so on. The pages are outlined with pink and white hearts, which takes guts to do! Judy Rosenberg is so herself, and so comfortably, warmly so, that it is a joy to learn from her.

Although I've baked various sorts of cookies I learnt a good deal just from her Basics of COokies section--all cookies don't taste their best fresh out of the oven - some are to be eaten warm, some cold, some the next day. For each kind (drop cookies, cake-like cookies, log cookies, shortbreads) she explains all the basics--oven temperature, baking time, checking for doneness, storing the dough, storing the cookies.

WHERE do you find this sort of thing? I haven't come across any other book that tells you so much, so well. I *know* that any recipe I try from here is going to turn out well, given I don't goof up in my own unique way ;-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Yum! Yum! Yum!, December 26, 2007
If you love decadent desserts and baked goods this is the cookbook for you. Rosie (a.k.a. Judy Rosenburg)knows her sweets and really has a way of teaching you how to prepare these wonderful recipes. She is passionate about what she does and it is reflected in this cookbook. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, February 25, 2014
Read it cover to cover! I have made many items from this book and never disappointed. The Brownie are the best! In fact now buying it for friends too

5.0 out of 5 stars Yum!, December 31, 2013
I've had my copy of Rosie's since it first came out and use it as my go-to book whenever I am asked to bring a dessert. I have given copies in the past to fellow bakers and will continue to do so in the future. There is not a "bad" recipe in the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars 2nd one bought, November 25, 2012
I have one and LOVE it so I bought our daughter and son-in-law their own copy. They will let me know ASAP when they make something from it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Baking Book!, May 16, 2012
I've owned this book for decades and have never made anything that wasn't wonderful! And the writing is fun, too. I love her stating that the best recipes come from regular people, not necessarily professionally trained bakers. I'd rather have a cake that looks like my Mom made it than one that looks like a piece of art.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better late than never, April 21, 2012
Fleur de Lys (Weirton, WV USA) - See all my reviews
Judy Rosenberg has turned a lifelong love afair with sweets into a way to pay it forward for the rest of us. I have enjoyed using this baking book for a couple of decades. I know that the format has received some slightly negative comments, but I thought the divisions were clever. A section on bar cookies is titled 'Harvard Squares', and if one has read about the origin of the bakery and its location, it is perfect - better than the same old titles. I also enjoy reading why an item was developed and for whom. It's a very personal and caring. Each section has informative overall instructions and hints that are truly helpful for a home baker. My family has enjoyed the noodle kugel more than any other recipe - it's better than any other recipe for it that I have ever tried. I have hundreds of baking books and while some of them collect dust, this one does not.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›