5.0 out of 5 stars Just like my old boots...
I'm an Old Corp Marine and need a pair of jungle boots to replace my old ones. The new boots they have in the military didn't suit me and was happy to see these boots at a really good rate. I couldn't find one my size and order them through Amazon. They arrived by UPS and after breaking them in they work just fine.
Published on December 27, 2006 by darkguardian2

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap but functional -- about what you'd expect
Published on September 7, 2011 by Jeff Kimble

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap but functional -- about what you'd expect, September 7, 2011
This review is from: Black Jungle Boot (Mens) (Apparel)
These boots are pretty much exactly what you'd expect for the price tag. I do not imply that they're a waste of money or anything of that sort. In fact, I really like my pair. But they're best suited for "cheap, knock-around boots" when you are looking for rather disposable clothing. I bought mine for paintball, knowing full well I will destroy them in months, and couldn't be more pleased. Here's everything I've noticed about them:

Overall construction:
-The stitching looks a bit light-duty. Expect some breakage in due time.
-Vent holes, eyelets, and canvas seem middle-of-the-line. Same as above.
-The laces that come with these boots aren't actually boot laces. Think long shoelaces.
-Soles seem to be soft rubber that will wear easily. Conversely, the lugs are thick allowing for plenty of wear.

Fit and feel:
-These were designed to be worn with boot socks (two pair of socks will also suffice), meaning they will run big.
-Because of the above, they are also unlined. Without proper socks, they can have some hot spots that would no doubt blister, especially when new. Wearing thick socks or two pair eliminates this completely.
-They are extremely lightweight, great for all-day comfort. I was thoroughly impressed by this.
-Even with socks on and out in the heat, they seem to vent incredibly well. My feet never seem hot.

Consensus:
Great for occasional wear. If you just need a set of boots to get dirty, scuffed, torn up, and otherwise mistreated, there is no better deal on the planet. If you are looking for a genuinely hardcore pair of boots to break-in, take care of, do 30-mile marches in, and that you will miss when you must say goodbye, skip them.

UPDATE 11/23/2012:

To my surprise, they are still holding up quite well. I bought a pair of insoles for them -- a must -- but they aren't torn up or ruined. Still using them for paintball.

1.0 out of 5 stars Scout Dad, March 12, 2013
This review is from: Black Jungle Boot (Mens) (Apparel)
I should have paid attention to the negative reports. A complete waste of money. You are better off giving the money to someone in need.

I bought a pair of these to take with me to the Boundary Waters (Northern Tier for scouters out there) on a 6 day canoeing expedition. If you buy them, take a thick roll of duct tape. You'll need it.

By day three of our six day expedition in the boundary waters, I'd already lost the insoles and one heel was blown (glue completely dissolved). Thank you duct tape. Day 4, my other heel blew while carrying a 90 lb canoe over a half mile portage. Ever tried to walk with that much weight on your shoulders with one heel flapping and the other slipping around because the tape can't hold it tight enough? It stinks. Duct tape roll now smaller. Did I mention that one of my scouts had the same boots and his blew on day 4 as well? I spent the rest of the trip taping on his boots and mine each morning, praying the duct tape roll would last. We hit the paper core on the last day.

Upon our return to base camp, I noticed the derelict pairs of ROTHCO jungle boots scattered around the grounds and abandoned in the corners of buildings. I mentioned it to one of the resident guides and they responded that they collected trash cans full of them each week.

Jungle boots have been on the recommended list of items to purchase for years. They are going to pull that recommendation based on the terrible performance of the boots.

My sons used their Redwing hiking and work boots. They had no issues (other than the work boots holding water and getting heavy) and they are still great for scout projects and stomping around with me. My wife picked up a pair of Montrail hiking boots at the Columbia Store. She's hard to fit. She loved / loves them. They drained well and were ready for use the next day.

Moral. Don't waste your money on ROTHCO boots. I'm not sure you even get what you pay for. I wish I could get my money back. I hope scouters and parents out there will read this and beware. Please don't buy these boots.

1.0 out of 5 stars Failed, March 25, 2013
This review is from: Black Jungle Boot (Mens) (Apparel)
I've owned these in the past.

I had a lot of back pain in the past, but not lately (last 5 or 6 years). I wondered if the back pain could be related to these boots.

My last set of boots (not these jungle boots) wore out too quickly and cost 3 times as much as these. So i bought another set of these jungle boots but this time i also bought a set of inserts for them. Superfeet Black Premium Insoles

Without the inserts, i was standing on concrete talking with a friend and starting to get back pain that reminded me of pain in years past. after i bought the insert things are much better. Although the inserts were more than the boots, both together are still much cheaper than the last non-jungle boots i owned. The jungle boots will last much longer too.

------------------------UPDATE----------------------------------------------------

It's only July and i have worn these out. There is a split through the bottom.

I mentioned that i've owned these in the past (above), but these are clearly not the same boots i used when i was in the military. They do look like the exact boots, but don't last anything like the originals. If they were the same boots, they would have lasted years not 4 months. I can't blame heavy usage for why these failed so quickly. I'm a computer tech, not a construction worker (which i've been in the past). My job wouldn't wear these out so fast. Another detail about the usage of these boots, is that half of my time i'm usually wearing sandals. i only wear these boots when i work (4 days a week).

So long story short, these have to be made of very low quality material.

For those that care to know, you don't quite get what you pay for with these. $27 is cheap, but you'd expect at least a year for cheap boots.

I don't recommend anybody buying these.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just like my old boots..., December 27, 2006
darkguardian2 "darkguardian2" (San Diego, CA United States) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent boots, but low quality, August 17, 2011
Rob Minervini (Rosendale, NY, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black Jungle Boot (Mens) (Apparel)
These boots will certainly serve their purpose for awhile, but I don't expect them to last. After wearing them regularly for my job as landscaper, they are beginning to show signs of wear. Several of the gromets on the lacing have come loose. Also, the sole is beginning to to separate from the heal slightly. I did not encounter the problem with the soles that some people had. Interested buyers should keep in mind that I tend to VERY hard on my shoes, and even expensive heavy duty work boots tend to fall apart on me within a year. For the price, I would still recommend these.

1.0 out of 5 stars poor quality product, November 10, 2010
This review is from: Black Jungle Boot (Mens) (Apparel)
I bought these for my teenager, and he wore them to school for 2 weeks, when the sole began seperating from the shoe. I guess you get what you pay for - by the end of the 3rd week, they had to be thrown out - beyond salvage

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Boot, Better Service., December 20, 2007
Justin (Winston-Salem, NC USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black Jungle Boot (Mens) (Apparel)
These boots are exactly what i am looking for, it is hard to find boots in my size within my price range and Captain Dave's managed both, i received my boots within three days of placing the purchase and found they where actually a size to large (Very strange for that to happen to me.)

Captain Dave worked with me and i had my new correct sized boots within a week.

very good service and support. i will be shopping here again.

1.0 out of 5 stars way too big, June 5, 2014
This review is from: Black Jungle Boot (Mens) (Apparel)
I ordered a size 10. They fit like a 12 or bigger. Shipping them back costs almost as much as the boots and I don't want to return them for another pair so I guess I'm stuck with them.

4.0 out of 5 stars perfect, September 26, 2013
This review is from: Black Jungle Boot (Mens) (Apparel)
Having read the other reviews we ordered a bit small. My son wears a US 10.5 and we ordered a size 9. The boots are a great fit, and quite comfortable. My son thinks that they are the coolest shoes he's got, and for the price I don't think you could find better.

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer Beware!, August 29, 2011
This review is from: Black Jungle Boot (Mens) (Apparel)
The sizes are not in U.S. sizes. RUN WAY BIG (in terms of size), BigFlySports expect you to pay the return charge as its not their fault they are too big. Stay away from these boots, as they are low quality and clearly not marked appropriately with regard to size. Read the bad reviews on these boots and stay away from BigFlySport.

Black Jungle Boot (Mens)