5.0 out of 5 stars Good coverage
Published on January 2, 2009 by R. Belanger

This balaclava is terrific at being adjustable, and really lends itself to being used in multiple situations. I keep it on, but open when walk to work, and then cinch is closer when the wind starts blowing.

Published on December 29, 2010 by Katie V

5.0 out of 5 stars Good coverage, January 2, 2009
We wear these when snowmobiling. I like it because of the adjustable face opening. If it's colder you can make the opening smaller, so only your eyes are visible. If it's not as cold, you can loosen the string to uncover your nose or part of your mouth. They do not fit tightly against your face or mouth like a scarf does so they do not ice up from your breath. They fit easily under a helmet and they don't make your head itchy after wearing like some knit hats do. Very good in windy conditions. I highly recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great protection, December 3, 2008
I got this balaclava for winter paintball. The material is nice and heavy to keep warm. It comes with an elastic drawstring that secures around the back of your head to prevent shifting when you look from side to side and also allow you to precicely determine the amount of facial area to expose. Perfect for getting your paintball mask to rest on your face while keeping everything else covered. Plenty of material to protect the neck from paintball welts. If you get too hot just pull back the top and you've got a simple neck gater. Great construction, very happy with this item.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent coverage, warmth, and breathability at a low price, November 16, 2009
This product is multi-useful and extremely comfortable. On top of that, it's a total bargain. I run a lot in preparation for military, so cold weather is not an excuse for a day off. This is my first cold season with this routine though, so I knew I would need something for my face. The problem with most balaclava when used for strenuous activity, is that the material pulls too tight on the face, making breathing tough to regulate. This balaclava fits snug up top thanks to the drawstring, but stays loose enough around the mouth and nose to allow good air flow. There's only two different ways I would need to wear it, but any of the advertised positions will work. Great design.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adjustable Balaclava - Available in Variuos Colors = FANTASTIC!!, January 10, 2010
Mark D. (Massachusetts, USA) - See all my reviews
I bought one of these for when I practice outdoor survival, go snowshoeing, xc skiing, downhill skiing, winter hiking and winter mountain biking. This balaclava is AWESOME! For starters, it's very versatile. You can use it as a neck-warmer, head/neck/ear warmer, or cover everything but a small slit for your eyes. It's loose enough so that your breath doesn't form frozen condensate on the inside. And your nose doesn't get runny from having the thing pressed right up against it. However, it has a drawstring that goes behind your head, so that you can draw it tight to your face when you want to have just a slit for your eyes. It's VERY warm. So far, I've only had it in about -5F with the windchill factor, but it kept me good and toasty. My cousin just bought a different kind of balaclava made out of neoprene. It was supposed to be top-of-the-line. Now he's jealous because mine is better and I paid less than twenty bucks for it. After seeing how well it works, my fiance asked me to order one for her, for when we practice outdoor survival and go snowshoeing together. I do a ridiculous amount of research before I buy almost anything and this seemed like the best product out there, regardless of price. So far, it hasn't proven me wrong!

3.0 out of 5 stars Love the flexibility with the drawstrings, but they get in the way., December 29, 2010
Katie V (Baltimore, MD) - See all my reviews

My complaints though are that the drawstrings are right around the face opening, which have the tension clips touching my nose/mouth when I cinch the balaclava shut. As you expect, these drawstring clips are plastic and get cold, so they are uncomfortable to have touching your skin. Also, within 2 weeks of having mine, the inside stitching has begun to fray and is now itchy and sharp against my cheek.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the Price, January 9, 2010
HR Guy (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
I bought two of these (accidentally), but kept both as my wife and I both have found these balaclavas to be warm and comfortable. Walking the dog in the early morning, when the wind chill is in the teens, is now a little more comfortable. The material is thick, but not too thick that it can't fit under your coat. A very good product.

3.0 out of 5 stars warning: drawstring, December 14, 2010
One Ply (Brooklyn, NY) - See all my reviews
The photos of this product are a little misleading. A back or side view would show a prominent black drawstring running from grommets at the cheeks to a tab at the back of the head. Looks weird. Otherwise nice hood.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent balaclava, March 8, 2011
I've worn this balaclava several times per day for the last three or so months since I bought it and I'm very happy with it.

Like another reviewer said, both of the metal grommets on the drawstring holes broke immediately, within 30 minutes of opening the package, but I decided to keep it and see what happened. I am very pleased to say that after three months of daily use, the unprotected drawstring holes in the fabric have not torn at all, not even a little, so that's great.

I'm uploading a side photo of me wearing the balaclava, because the front-only photo does not reveal the drawcord on the side and the drawcord locking nub that's on the back.

I would have given this a 5 star review, but the breaking grommets is not so great. Still, based on how well the drawstring holes have held up so far, I think there's a good chance of getting many more seasons of use out of this balaclava.

4.0 out of 5 stars face mask, March 20, 2009
e&o (mukwonago, wi) - See all my reviews
I thought this was a well made product for the money. It didn't work well for my younger child (8 year old). It was too big---it would work great for a preteen or teenager.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, poor execution, October 7, 2010
sinep210X2 (Michigan, USA) - See all my reviews
After putting it on just once, one of the grommets holding the pull-string in place fell off. When you pull against thin, soft fabric directly, it's only a small matter of time before it rips it open completely. I got this in anticipation of the winter, and now have to immediately return it without getting a single use out of it. Luckily it's only October so I still have time to find a different design.

Rothco One Hole Polar Fleece Balaclava