5.0 out of 5 stars suitable for tactical use
Published on March 28, 2011 by E. Klang

2.0 out of 5 stars Buyer beware: different quality from different countries
I purchased this based on the high quality reviews here, and I assumed I was buying a high quality shemagh from Pakistan. What I got instead was a Rothco 8537 shemagh made in India. Without opening the package, I can tell that the stitching is loose, I already see runs, and it will not last long.

I am contacting the seller to see if they have any good...
Published on November 21, 2011 by Lou-Dawg

5.0 out of 5 stars suitable for tactical use, March 28, 2011
This is a Shemaugh made by Rothco. The size is actually 44 inches square, and this is important; If you intend to use this "tactically", meaning you will wear it tied to form a mask and head covering, you need a large shemaugh. If it is too small, you will not be able to tie it traditionally. You can see how this is done if you go on Youtube and search "How to tie a Shemaugh". I purchased another one from another manufacturer, but it was too small, and much lighter material--this one is heavier, but not to the point of being cumbersome.

Those of you who are unaware, there are multiple uses for these "Arab neck scarves", so don't be worried about being considered a terrorist sympathizer--similar scarves are used by the US military in Afghanistan and Iraq. They keep out dust, cut wind, contain and absorb sweat, can be "wet down" to cool you by wrapping around your neck, can be wrapped around leaves to fashion a decent pillow, if folded 4 times can filter water (not recommended except if a carbon filter is unavailable-and boil water as well if you can), can be used as a weapon (a Garrote, or you can put a rock or other object inside and swing like a bludgeon), makeshift towel, you can cut two small slits in the material and use to shield your eyes to keep from going snow blind, and it keeps you warm as a neck scarf as well.

The photo description is accurate, it is a dark military green.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for backpacking, May 29, 2008
This review is from: Rothco Shemagh Tactical Desert Scarf 8537 (Apparel)
I got mine for backpacking. Keeps my face warm at night (ditched my balaclava), on hot days it fans out under my hat to keep the sun off my back, and in a Mojave sand storm it served its most ancient purpose of keeping the sand out of my face. It's so much more versatile than a bandana, it's a great piece of kit for anyone interested in multi-use items. No wonder these are standard issue for US Army Rangers. Try making a sling from a bandana; this shemagh is plenty big enough for that and more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't believe how well this works in Georgia heat and humidity, May 2, 2011
This review is from: Rothco Shemagh Tactical Desert Scarf 8537 (Apparel)
If you didn't grow up in the desert of the Middle East, you probably think it's crazy to wrap yourself up in cloth to protect yourself from the heat. But this thing really works for me. In the dreadful heat and humidity of Georgia, I have wrapped this shemaugh around my head, face, and neck, and I was truly COOLER and protected from SUNBURN. Apparently, your perspiration is absorbed into the cotton fabric, and the fabric breathes very freely to cool you. I have worn it mowing grass, and was COOL and COMFORTABLE. Incidentally, with my mouth and nose covered, it helped protect me from breathing dust and pollen, too. I recently wore it while I did chainsaw work to clear debris after a tornado. Wore it all day for two straight days. Some people probably thought I was nuts. But it was COOLER, and I didn't get sunburned, either. You can wear it over your mouth and nose, just your mouth, or under your chin. Or even just around your neck. Very versatile. I watched a video on YouTube to learn a couple of ways to tie it on. After some practice, it has become very easy and natural to put on. I have tried those bandanna things that soak up water and swell up with a gel-like substance. Even after taking them from the refrigerator and wearing them around my neck or head, they don't work nearly as well--not even close. BTW--I bought the foliage (no pattern) color, but I assume the other colors/patterns are essentially the same. I highly recommend you try one.

2.0 out of 5 stars Buyer beware: different quality from different countries, November 21, 2011

I am contacting the seller to see if they have any good shemaghs in stock.

So realize that the good reviews on here may not apply to the product that you receive.

5.0 out of 5 stars better than a beanie, better than most hats, might take a while to be acceptable in mainstream America, August 24, 2011
This review is from: Rothco Shemagh Tactical Desert Scarf 8537 (Apparel)
Let's be honest: you're going to turn heads wearing this guy. You look like a "bad guy", even though there are plenty of normal and decent people living in places around the globe where this is standard dress. Out at sea this is more flexible than a single beanie or hat, doesn't blow around as much, and you can put water on it to help it cool down. The cost is nothing. Hopefully American society can become a bit less xenophobic and embrace the clothing that middle eastern cultures have developed over a long period of time.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it!, September 12, 2011
It is fantastic. Basically it is what others describe it to be. It does its job, and is very stylish. I am an airsofter that has been using these cheap "fashion" shemaghs sold in vendors for 8 bucks. I REALLY recommend to get this one over the other. The stylish one is silk thin and is made in China(myns had a label, not trying to be stereotypical). This one however, is authentically made in Pakistan (again, label.) and is of better build quality over the China-made one. It is much thicker, but still breathable, and it does what a shemagh does...i got the OD green one by the way. The desert tan one and OD would be the best IMO. The red and white one,neon blue one and red and black ones are too noticable for airsoft use. It makes your head a bright easy target, but it is all about preference....

Pros:

The REAL shemagh that serves its practicality. Not one of those stylish scarfs.

Cons: Myns smelled like fish when i got it. Though i am used to the smell of fish, so no biggie. There was also a white label sewn on to the shemagh that says it is made in pakistan. +1 on the authenticity, -1 on the fact that it can be annoying to rip out. 1+-1=0 so the con cancels.

Overall, It is what it is. GET IT! warning: may smell like fish when you get it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Handy!, October 17, 2013
D. Smith (PULLMAN, WA USA) - See all my reviews
I took this bad boy with me to Afghanistan in 2011. It served me very very well. If you’ve ever read a book called “The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy” then you know that a towl “is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitch hiker can have”. This applies to Shemaghs and intercontinental hitch hikers as well. During my adventures in the middle east I used this guy to keep dust and sand out of my face during sand storms in Kuwait and when jumping in and out of choppers all over Afghanistan, to shield my eyes from the blazing sun, to provide shade on hot days in the field, to sleep on when no clean ground was available, as a blanket when sleeping in freezing transient huts, and during my 14 days of homelessness stranded on the streets of Bagram Air Field, as a marker to ID my bags, as a rope to tie hats and other stuff to my bags, as a sweat rag, and as a drying towel when it was clean enough lol. If you’re going to be on the move get this, you will find a use for it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Why haven't we been using these for years?, December 11, 2012
The Shemagh I received was produced in Pakistan. Fine by me as I figure they know what a Shemagh should be.

First thing - before you wear the Shemagh out and then end up covered in dye, make sure you soak the Shemagh overnight in water/vinegar or wash it a couple times BY ITSELF. This will bleed! I soaked mine overnight and then washed it. When it was ready to be worn the color was exactly as they described it (olive & black). The Shemagh is 100% cotton - so I recommend keeping it out of the dryer.

I've only worn the Shemagh out once but it definitely did the job. The temperature was about 15F and it was snowing heavily. I kept the Shemagh tightly around my neck and occasionally brought it up over my mouth and nose to warm them up. I couldn't be happier with the job it did helping to keep me warm and I'd definitely recommend one to friends.

The only downside is well... people have predetermined that certain things mean certain things. After explaining some of the history of the Shemagh to the people I was with, they didn't look at me quite so weird, although I suppose if I had worn the Shemagh in any other configuration I may have had some more odd looks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for hot and cold weather, August 23, 2011
Brady Holubowicz (BAY CITY, MICHIGAN, US) - See all my reviews
I originally bought this to cover my face while removing snow from my property. It works well keeping my face warm and my nose from being frozen to the point where if I move it I will get a nose bleed. I've also used it a lot over the summer while riding my 80 cc bike to keep the bugs from smacking my face while ridding . I wash it every time I get sweatty after use in the washer the dye does not bleed to other cloths.

Overall weather I'm removing snow or riding threw the neighborhood it works great

2.0 out of 5 stars Birdcloth - cheep, cheep, cheep, February 26, 2014
This review is from: Rothco Shemagh Tactical Desert Scarf 8537 (Apparel)
Ordered 2 of these shemaghs. When arrived in mail, they had a horrible chemical odor to them, so I washed them before using. One came out of wash with only 1 small hole in it, the other came out with maybe a dozen holes in it, from dime sized to about 4 inches around. The material is very thin and gauzy, not likely to survive more than a couple of more washings. Quite disappointed with the low quality and wondering where to get a shemagh that is lightweight but still more substantial.

Rothco Shemagh Tactical Desert Scarf 8537