on September 21, 2011
I have had this coat for a couple of weeks and I like it so far. The supplier shipped the coat very quickly without any issues. The coat is very thin and light weight but it does block all of the wind and rain out. Probably not going to be a super heavy duty cold winter coat, but it is much warmer than I thought it would be. It has a lot of pockets on the inside and outside portion of the coat and has several rubber slits put inside the pockets to allow for MP3 player cords, which is a nice future. Seems to be pretty well constructed and I like the coyote tan color.

Pros: Very light weight, excellent wind breaker, water resistant, lots of storage, comfortable, fully adjustable, not bulky and very easy to roll up and pack away in a bag if needed. Good color and decent price for the design. Most other jackets of this type and design are going for over $300 which is way too much. I would never pay that much for a jacket, but this one was probably worth the money. The Velcro on the shoulders is also nice. Large amount of space to put Velcro patches (If that is your thing).

Cons: The roll up hood is a joke. Once the hood is rolled up inside the collar it looks like you have a floatation device around your neck. The hood is large and good quality, but it is way too big to roll up in the collar. The venting zippers in the arm pits caused me a little bit of an issue at first. They had a burr on the tip of them and thus were cutting the inside of my arm when I wore short sleeves. I took a file to them and fixed it after about one minute. Minor detail and could have been just my coat.

Overall I think it is a decent coat for the price and I would buy another one if need. Hopefully it will last for me. Hoped this helped.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 24, 2013
Verified Purchase
I'm not sure what the folks who gave this product a bad review problem is but here is my opinion. first, my back ground: old school military that predates all of this state of the art clothing. we were issued ripstop cotton bdu, crappy cotton long underwear and s***ty boots. that's what we had to work with sitting in foxholes at 5 degrees. That being said, I think this is an excellent product for the money. Sure, you can go spend $300 on a TAD ranger and guess what? you will still be cold if not layered properly and you will rip it up in a combat situation just as you do with everything else. if you don't want something to tear or eventually wear out go buy yourself some steel armor from your local ren fair. $300 or $80 for the same warmth and durability? I'm going for the $80 and I can promise all of you that the average troop will also considering how much they get paid. Don't get fooled by bad reviews written by internet rangers and tacticool airsoft call of duty dreamers who are gear snobs. now, on to the product:

I received my jacket yesterday. It is 28 degrees, windy and rainy and has been for the past few days. I work outside and with horses. so far this jacket has kept me warm and dry with my other 2 layers (walmart special long underwear and a walmart special midlayer fleece. both totaled $21) . I will agree with most on 2 things: the hood is bulky when stored in its pocket. easily resolved by not storing the hood there. 2nd: the sizes run a bit small. I am usally a large and after reading reviews I ordered an XL. the XL fits perfectly. for reference I am 6'4", 202lbs with a 44" chest. It is a great jacket and with the Velcro shoulders it is also a great way to show your veteran pride with your old unit and morale patches.
on May 1, 2012
Size Name: LargeColor Name: Olive DrabVerified Purchase
I liked the jacket even liked the green color which was a concern I had. I am 6' 2", 215 the jacket had to be returned because it didn't fit me through the torso. It may be designed to ride a bit short so that guys have access to things in a holster or mounted to their belt for example. My use is primarily recreational fishing, hunting and camping and it didn't cover my belt so I returned it. The sleeve length was adequate. The material is really cool, not unlike North Face Apex Bionic I believe. There are many pockets and places for patches. A removable hood would be a benefit as it does resemble a personal flotation device when rolled into the collar. I would like this coat in a "tall" version with about 2-4" more length. It might be perfect for others as I mentioned above with a need to have unencumbered access to a duty belt or similar. I took a couple pics for others.
review image review image
on February 2, 2012
Size Name: MediumColor Name: Coyote BrownVerified Purchase
PRO
lightweight
windproof, sheds snow, rain beads off
plenty of pockets for storage
runs slightly on the larger size which makes it really good for layering underneath
t-shirt & hooded cotton sweatshirt setup will easily take you into -10c range
hook & loop on the sleeve to adjust fit
pit zips to adjust ventilation
acceptable office wear

CON
the material feels a bit stiff though not uncomfortable so (still new so who knows after a few months...)
cannot zip up the jacket if the hood is stored in the collar
the hood is way too huge when wearing a ball cap or tuque underneath
for those who like to jam their hands deep into the pocket, this one may come out a bit shallow for taste
missing the pull assist cords on the main jacket zipper (have some extra lying around so no big deal to me)

OVERALL
If this was a NorthFace jacket, you will pay much more. This jacket should give the user a few good years. Worth the $90.
on November 12, 2012
Verified Purchase
Great jacket in every which way! just make sure you go a size down as they are sized a bit on the big size. I bought a small even though I usually wear a medium after reading the review's on sizing and it turned out to be a good call. To give you an idea of my body type, I'm 5'8 and about 170lbs. I have a 31" waist and I have a 21" chest and 19" shoulders, and this jacket fits just right with room enough to layer a fleece sweater underneath for extra warmth. I uploaded some pictures for you to check out on my profile. I bought the black one and I'm considering buying another one in another color, and for the price, why not?
review image review image review image
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 14, 2012
Size Name: MediumColor Name: BlackVerified Purchase
Ordered and received the Rothco Special OPS Tactical Soft Shell Jacket in black. Shipping and packaging were great, the product on the other hand, not impressed. The Rothco Special OPS Tactical Soft Shell Jacket is a poor copy of popular "tactical" jackets made by such companies as Triple Aught Design's Ranger model ($219). The Rothco Special OPS has a number of major design flaws, as many have mentioned, the hood being the primary, which is so epic in design failure, there's no way this was tested prior to manufacturing in any kind of wet weather.

Here's the dirty: The hood of the Special OPS jacket is removable via a long zipper, which in itself is not a bad idea. However, there are no protective flaps what-so-ever to cover the long zipper from the upper rear shoulder section of the jacket body. Any amount of rain/snow will bead directly down into the shoulders of the jacket thru the closed zipper, regardless if the hood is attached or not. Adding some hook and loop might help, but the angle of the zippers and slot they are sewn in will leak, directly into the core of the jacket. Big problem. If you're not familiar with non-polartec fleece, if it's wet, it ain't keeping you warm.

The second issue with the hood is it attaches via 3 points: the rear zipper(as mentioned above), and 2 elastic drawstring cords that are run thru un-anodized boot eyelets in the collar, and simply tied in knots to crudely "attach" the front of the hood chin/sides to the front collar of the jacket. There are no hook and loop attachments, or tension retainers attached to the elastic cords. The cords really, and I'm not joking here, are just overhand tied into knots to prevent them from re-entering the boot eyelets. I would think a gust of wind, at the strength of a mouse fart may dislodge the hood. I don't know about you, but overhand knots tied in cheap elastic "paracord" just does not say anything remotely "tactical" to me about weather protection, or hood attachment. So poor is this design aspect that even my girlfriend noticed right away how lame this looked without me saying ANYTHING about the jacket. It screams "cheap" louder than a chickadee on meth.

Other failures on this jacket I feel are: cheap non-rated non-polartec fleece, inadequate un-insulated pitzips that draft (c'mon you can't add a flap of fleece over them on the inside?), and front zipper (non YYZ).

Other then the failures, the wrist closures are well thought out, but rubber, which might be an issue if you live in cold climates. The jacket exterior seems weather resistant, and wind resistant, and is comfortable. It's sized pretty large. I'm 5'9 175lbs with wide shoulders, and the Medium was a good fit overall. The large would have been gigantic.

In summary, the hood design is so poor, and not protective in any form of wet weather, that it just wasn't a good option for me. The addition of the boot eyelets in the collar, and knotted elastic as attachment points, just looked...well, mega cheap, and unfunctional. Would probably look great if yer getting it for a youth who's into airsoft in a dry climate, but then again, there are plenty of jackets around $80 that would do better. If you really like the style, I'd suggest saving your money for something designed and put together better.
My $0.02? Rothco Special OPS Tactical Soft Shell Jacket = Tactifail.
on October 13, 2012
Verified Purchase
For $75.00, it's hard to beat the quality of versatility of this jacket. However, I ordered a medium (I typically wear a medium in most jackets and shirts) and it was huge! The sleeves were so long that they nearly came to the end of my fingertips. I like the idea of being able to layer under a jacket like this, but I could have put a half dozen down coats on underneath of it. I would describe my build as athletic - small waist, relatively wide shoulders and chest. My arms are average length for my height (5' 10"). Definitely get a size smaller unless you have a barrel chest and gut and gorilla arms!
review image review image review image
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon January 19, 2012
Verified Purchase
I love this jacket. I live just outside of D.C. and winter isn't really winter here, at least not to somebody who grew up and spent most of his life in Minnesota. A real winter jacket seemed inappropriate; I wanted something that I could wear from fall to spring and from descriptions, this seemed to fit the bill nicely.

I can now say that my Olive Drag Special OPS Tactical Soft Shell Jacket has been fully tested, from 40 degrees on down to below zero with nearly -10 wind chills, and in rain and snow and gusting winds. First off, it is a very comfortable jacket. It is lightweight, and unlike my old Columbia jacket, not at all bulky. The only thing you really notice is the stand-up collar and that mostly because the hood is stuffed inside it (the hood, by the way, is the only thing I haven't tested).

You have to get used to the pockets. You don't have your normal shove-your-hands-into-the-pockets pockets but a pair of pockets higher up on the jacket. But these are great pockets because they have little areas inside them that are good to put hotel room key cards, etc, which is a nice feature because the pockets are surprisingly deep. You also have pockets on the sleeves and pockets inside. You will never run out of pockets wearing this jacket.

I have worn it with just a long-sleeve cotton pullover when it's 20 degrees and just a light wind and you can feel the cold but it's not really uncomfortable. I was visiting in Upstate New York recently and it was cold and blowing snow. The temperature got down to 1 degree Fahrenheit and the wind chills were below zero, reaching -8 one night, at least according to my weather app. And it felt it. On that occasion I added a button-up shirt and a sweater to my pullover and was quite comfortable. I ordered an XL because that is the size I normally wear and there has been plenty of room for the sweater.

I like the sleeves because you can block out the wind with the Velcro strap, and adding a shemagh around my neck kept the cold off my throat. It doesn't hurt that it's a very attractive jacket, but mostly it's that it's a very good jacket, lightweight, warm, lets the rain slide off you and preserves freedom of movement at the same time. And when it gets warmer it's good to know that the sleeves have venting. I highly recommend this jacket for anyone who spends any time out of doors and is active (I like to roam around the woods taking photos and I enjoy hiking).
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 20, 2012
Verified Purchase
I have had this coat for one winter now. I purchased it to wear under a hardshell to create a nice layering system for skiing, and other winter outdoor activities. So far I have used this coat for everything from going to the gym to skiing down the mountain and it is almost my favorite coat. First, let me discuss the coat itself; the fabric is in good shape and is very warm, not warm enough to wear by itself outside in 20 degree weather, but enough to wear on a fall day. I do wear a t-shirt, this coat and the hardshell outside in winter and it keeps me plenty warm. The pockets are the real reason I bought this coat; I love pockets. The two sleeve pockets are great for your phone, ipod, etc, with holes to run cords through. The arm pocket is not that big, but enough for parking pass, chapstick, etc. The chest pockets are the real treat, with additional pouches inside and again with holes to run electronics through. Half the time I forget about the duck pocket, but its perfect for small item, gloves etc. The Hood, as previously written about, is fantastic, but forget trying to stuff it into the collar, you can do it, and I did once...the other reviewers were right. Thankfully it zips off. It is a nice hood, so I kept it, but will probably never wear it. The side vents are also great. When skiing I used them constantly. While some reviewers noticed the metal zippers, I did not have a problem with them, and I have been looking for issues since there were mentioned here. The velcro on the arms is probably good for the military, but since I am not military, I have fun putting other things on there that are work related. This coat also has a nice draw string along the waist which will tighten the coat up. Again, for skiing, this was perfect. Interior is has an additional two pockets, but at this point I have run out of things to carry.

Now, the reason this is NOT my favorite coat...it fits a little too big. For reference, I ordered the large and I am 6' 2" tall, 196lbs and wear a 42L sport jacket, 36" waist and am of medium build. I bought the large and I am debating purchasing a medium. Not that I would get ride of the large, noooo, I would just wear that one with a sweatshirt underneath, but it is just a bit too big to wear with just a t-shirt.

Overall, I do like this coat a lot.
on January 12, 2013
Verified Purchase
I am currently deployed in afghanistan and needed a jacket for the winter. For the price I thought this item was a steal. Anyways, winter is here, I've been using this jacket daily for the last 2 months, and is now half broken. The hood is falling off and I have had to sew it back on. The zipper does not work. I had to pull it to the left to zip it up, but now it refuse to even zip up. The Velcro on the sleeves have never worked. I had really really high hopes for it, its a warm jacket and looks really nice, but comes with to many problems and in the environment I'm in it's the last thing i need to be worrying about. for casual wear it might be worth it, but not for the daily rugged use that I need it for. Hope this helps, use your $100 on something that will last.