5.0 out of 5 stars Great shoes; Ignore sizing advice
Published on March 20, 2012 by Rob

3.0 out of 5 stars USMC
Material was cheap but they should last a few months I'm a Marine recruiter so I wear them all the time if I didn't have to wear them everyday I think they would be great but for me I need to just pay for some better material
Published 17 months ago by ZONELL WESTFIELD

5.0 out of 5 stars Great shoes; Ignore sizing advice, March 20, 2012
This review is from: Uniform Oxfords / Hi-Gloss Black (Apparel)
These are great patent leather shoes. My Bates patent leather shoes from the military clothing store (AAFES) cracked twice, so I refused to buy another pair of Bates shoes, until I tried other products. So far, so good. The Rothco shoes look great, seem well-built, and cost about $30 less. However, ignore the confusing sizing advice and make sure you order your normal shoe size. The note on the description says "Rothco boots tend to run a half size to a full size too large." Of course, the note is true for most boots, but these are Rothco shoes, not boots. I followed the advice and had to return my first pair of shoes for another in my normal size. I also recommended to the company that they remove this comment, since it is misleading and should only be included with their boots. I'm not sure how long it will take them to update their description. Other than that, I've been very happy with the shoes.

3.0 out of 5 stars USMC, August 30, 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks good, feels horrible, March 9, 2012
I got these firstly for a daughter's wedding. A second reason was for an oral promotion board at work. I had seen a few reviews that these run large and to get a size smaller. Bad advice. If anything, I found them to be slightly small. So that first pair of 9.5's I ended up eating (figuratively, I prefer my steak slightly more rare). The first pair killed me just in the time it took to get my tux marked for alterations. The better fitting pair still crippled me and I changed into other shoes for the reception. But they do look good. And for that, they still have a job to do at the upcoming promotion board.

1.0 out of 5 stars Buy Bates or higher end shoes instead!, June 11, 2013
This review is from: Uniform Oxfords / Hi-Gloss Black (Apparel)
I purchased these at a local Army Navy store about 4 months ago and very dissatisified with them. First of all, upon initial appearances they look almost as good as the more expensive brand Bates. That is where the similarities end. I switch footwear a few times a week wearing these Rothcos no more than twice weekly. They scuff very easily and the material is starting to crack. The soles have held up well, but otherwise the Rothcos are NOT well made at all. I would only recommend purchasing if you need some decent looking shoes and do not plan on wearing them often. I put insoles inside mine as they were not very comfortable either. Look elsewhere as the things are horrible. There is no sense carrying on with a long drawn out review on these as I have nothing besides the soles to like about the shoes. Buyer beware. I have about 20 years experience wearing similar shoes and by far these are the worst!

4.0 out of 5 stars A great alternative to expensive Coroframs!, June 22, 2014
This review is from: Uniform Oxfords / Hi-Gloss Black (Apparel)
I've had these shoes for a few weeks now, and I must say that these are pretty legit shoes. They came stuffed in a small shipping box, which really made me question how much these folks really care about their shoes, but was surprised by the quality and look of them. They look much better than my old Bates, and for $35 you can't really beat them. I do question how long the quality will hold up, but I only wear them once a week, so (at least for me, and probably other Air Force folks) these are perfect.

*I would like to note that I ordered a 10.5, and from what I can tell, they run maybe a quarter size too small. So if you're bordering on two sizes, I'd go half a size larger.

5.0 out of 5 stars Patent Dress Shoes, July 8, 2010
These are really great for my little boy. He had a pair of patent leather shoes before & outgrew them so we have been looking for a new pair. These are great shoes - good quality - they stay tied & my son loves them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Know the width of your foot, June 18, 2014
It's good for the price but you have to know the difference between The letters R for regular and W for wide for people with wide feet and people with narrow feet unless you will Order the size too small or too big

5.0 out of 5 stars Great shoes, June 18, 2014
Again, my son is in Civil Air Patrol and he loves these shoes. The have worn very well and will return again.

2.0 out of 5 stars Fits like a size 9. Unfortunately, I wear size 10.5, wide., December 25, 2013
I'm not sure if they're wide for a size 9, but they are both short and narrow for my feet. If you're going to order these, I would suggest you go up at least 1 size. The finish looks good and the sole seems sturdy, so they are probably going to last, but I will probably pass these on and buy again. Unfortunately, I needed to wear them right after they arrived, so I couldn't return them.

1.0 out of 5 stars Maybe I got some foreign knock-offs?, December 1, 2014
1. Sizing: There is a lot of misinformation out there, probably in part because the typical user of these shoes has never had a proper-fitting shoe or a proper set of foot measurements taken (e.g., for bespoke shoes). Not only have I had both, I also have two different shoe sizes because of a crush injury to one foot. So I can easily tell when a shoe is labeled improperly. The shoes are basically accurate in the LENGTH measurement, but the WIDTH measurement is clearly wrong in that the stated width (D) is much more like an E. If you wrote a review because the shoes were "too large", you probably should have said "too wide".

2. Interior: No arch support whatsoever, neither in the insole nor the insert. The insert is paper-thin and has no manufacturer markings, just a size (e.g., "13R"). Remove the insert and there is nothing to indicate who made this shoe,,, hmmmmm...

3. Upper: The edges of the quarter that overlap the vamp, just parallel to the eyelets, are roughly cut and will likely begin to show wearThere are numerous "Irish pennants", or excess threads extending from the stitching all over the shoe. In three separate places at the welt, there are loose pieces of cellophane sticking out from the seam, as if the assembler forgot to remove the protective anti-scratch coating from the patent leather before stitching it to the sole.

4. Sole: The rubber is full of crevices where air bubbles had not been expelled from the mold. Those crevices are already starting to form small cracks which will undoubtedly get worse. There is also a large amount of flashing (i.e., excess rubber that seeps between the seams of the mold, like the batter in a waffle iron); you would think someone would trim it off before it left the factory. And the <i>pièce de résistance</i>... There is an uneven stamp in the sole that says "Rothco MADE IN CHINA" (except the "R" and "M" are barely legible because someone didn't align the stamp parallel to the sole). No wonder I couldn't find the ISO 9001 certification anywhere!