on December 20, 2007
I bought this for my husband who is always giving me his "stuff" to carry in my purse...or he hauls around a few things in a plastic grocery bag when we head to the cottage.

I wasn't sure he'd actually like carrying a bag, but he loves it and wishes he'd had it sooner.

It is big enough to hold his checkbook size wallet, his glasses, pen and other small things he needs routinely. There are several pockets and inner compartments and it's easy to organize everything to find things easily.

It's rugged looking and he feels comfortable slinging it cross shoulder bag style for handsfree carrying when he's out.

Now everything is within reach and he doesn't need to ask me to find his glasses or wallet in my cluttered bag!
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This is a cute little canvas bag that resembles a saddle bag or canteen bag, only smaller. It's not much larger than a cd case, and it's about as deep as my iPhone is wide. Very economical use of space.

It holds everything I need to get through my day with room to spare. I have systemic lupus, and I use a cane and forget things. This bag is small enough and comfortable enough for me to put it on in the morning and wear it all day without having to take it off the way you'd set down a purse or briefcase. Which is good. Because I've lost all my purses, and I am beholden to the kindness of more than one stranger for the fact that I still have my briefcase.

This bag is shorter, deeper, and less well-organized than the Venturer Travel Portfolio, which makes it better for some applications (it leaves extra room for a camera and allows the use of one's "real" wallet). The cellphone pocket is roomy enough for the smartest smartphones and multimedia devices. It closes with velcro, and it's right up front. I love that.

And despite the less organized feel to the bag, it still works great for someone who needs to have one hand free (for driving, walking with a child, walking a dog).

I'm glad I have both of these little bags.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
TOP 100 REVIEWERon July 30, 2011
I was looking for a small travel bag that I could use for my tobacco pipe when out and about, this was a great choice! As a note, I have the older bag (second product image) not the newer one with the front that opens.

DESIGN/QUALITY
This is VERY well made, using only the best quality materials. In over 2 years of use, the velcro is still very strong, the seams have not come loose and the strap is still...well...strapping.

UTILITY
This pouch is surprisingly useful, not just for my original intent but also for camping, hiking, computer repair and a million other things. I love throwing it in my carry-on with all of my important documents in to keep them all in one place!

WHY 4 STARS??
- Good for the price (+)
- Very good quality - no wear after two years!!! (+)
- Extremely utilitarian! (+)
- The older design (which I have) does not have all of the pockets of the newer one (-)

OVERALL
This is definitely a helpful bag, and the olive drab color means it's very masculine. The longevity of this product has really impressed me, especially considering the low price I paid. Recommended.

Feedback welcomed - if you didn't find this review helpful I would love to know why so I can continue to grow as a reviewer!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This little thing is perfect for a guy, or girl for that matter, who needs to carry around a little extra stuff but doesn't want a backpack or monster tote bag. To answer the questions about the dimensions, it's about 9-10 inches wide and tall, about 4" thick empty. It has two good sized main pouches, each with a good, strong zipper, two hideaway zippered pockets, as well as the pouches seen on the outside in the photo. The larger one holds a cell phone nicely, could also hold an mp3 player, and the smaller one is great for a pen, or, for asthmatics or people with allergies, one of those pen-shaped inhalers they carry.

It has a shoulder strap which adjusts easily; I am six feet tall and it is just long enough for me, really tall folks probably wouldn't find it adequate. It also has two loops for running your belt through to wear it holster-style.

Not much else to say: nothing fancy here, just a well-designed and tough little bag homely enough for guys to carry around without feeling weird. If you need a product like this you can't go wrong with this one.
on January 19, 2008
I used this bag when we went to Egypt. It kept everything I needed without the extra weight of a purse. Plus, the color made it look like safari gear, which was cool.

My only complaint was the enormous size of the cell phone holder. No one has cell phones that big anymore! I used it to hold sunglasses instead.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Bought this for added EDC use. The size was ok for it use, I quickly found it small for the amount of stuff I needed to carry plus the added weight when I filled it with a small first aid kit, notebook, swiss army knife and a couple other stuff put a little too much weight on the side of my pant belt. It comes with a strap to be worn as a shoulder bag but that defeats the use I have for it. All these things are not negative to the bag.

However, it does have short comings. The velcro used for the cell phone pocket is nearly worthless, fuzzy and does not secure well, the cell phone pocket is also rather baggy and its design is not the best. The overall material for the bag seems rather cheap but expected for such a cheap bag. It could have benefited with dual zippers for the pockets. The material of the bag is rather thick and you find that it can limit the useful space in the bag, it also impacts parts like the pen pocket which is rather tight and you have to work at it to loosen enough for a typical ball point pen to easily go in and out of it.

So while not a terrible bag, there is room for plenty of improvement.
on October 28, 2009
This bag seemed perfect for me - small, black, plenty of compartments - but the hardware just sucks. The very first time I opened it the zipper pull came off. Over the next three months little things kept on breaking one piece at a time. It's now in two pieces; a bag and a strap with no way to connect to each other.
on April 17, 2013
This is my second bag purchase of a military style bag from RothCo and this one is as well made and thought out as the other.

The pocket on the front holds my iPhone 5 in a OtterBox with room to spare.

The interior has two main pockets and the back main compartment has a interior pocket as well. There is also a small pocket on the front with a zipper, parallel to the pen sheath that you can not see on any of the pictures online.

I can fit my wallet, a pocket sized notebook, a iPhone charger and plug, my car key and a house key inside and still have room.

Both of my bags from RothCo are black, and if color is your deal - they are super black. I think the fabric that they wove to make the canvas was dyed black before it the canvas was woven (as opposed to dyed black after it was woven) so it should resist fading for a long time.

My only complaint is that the strap is a little thin, as in width wise, but as I mentioned in my review of my first bag this was made for guys in the field running around doing Army stuff, not a a chubby white dude in a cubical so i'll let it slide.
on April 21, 2010
BUYERS BEWARE... this product is made with the cheapest materials possible.

I really like the looks of this bag, and I love how it has a lot of little pockets, but the hardware is the lowest end garbage you can buy. The metal clips on the shoulder-straps broke on THE FIRST DAY I WORE IT!!
on December 6, 2009
For the price this bag is great. It's big enough to carry everything I need for myself and my dog when we go to the park, or store. The Velcro on the front is lacking and you might want to sew on a small buckle if you carry a high price PDA. It's a small enough, big enough "Every Day Carry" bag. The bag is about 7 inches tall and 6 inches wide. I got the black cause I wear a lot of black, so most people don't even notice I have it on. Well, except this one day I forgot to wear clothes, and everyone made a nice comment about the bag.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...