5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Kindle Fire

Published on October 10, 2012 by Marked Up

2.0 out of 5 stars Not My Bag, October 10, 2012
Marked Up (Great Northwest) - See all my reviews
Length:: 1:12 Mins

I grew tired of trying to stuff my cell phone, keys, medications, glasses and wallet into various combinations of pant packets. And I didn't want a "man purse." I thought this Rothco bagRpthco Brown Canvas Small Travel Portfolio Shoulder Bag from a military supply manufacturer would be just right. Watch this 1-minute video to find out why I'm still looking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Kindle Fire, April 29, 2012
Amazon Customer (Lake Zurich, Illinois United States) - See all my reviews
While I've resisted for years getting a "man bag", there comes a time when it's just way handier to have all of your "stuff" in one place. I got rid of my wallet, putting all my credit cards, discount cards, insurance cards, bank cards and driver's license into this bag's pockets. I also carry the Kindle Fire, its cord, my phone, its cord, a small calculator and a pen. I've got plenty of room left for cash (handy zippered pocket), receipts and the like.

The plastic clip that latches it shut might be (emphasis MIGHT BE!) a little lightweight and possibly break over time, but that's only an imagined downside thus far. I'm a little concerned that my entire life and identity are now contained in one easily lost/stolen bag... but honestly, that was a similar risk with a wallet. I really have stopped searching for the various items that make up my daily life - it's just way more convenient to have everything in one place and I actually don't spend any time anymore searching for my phone, the calculator, my Kindle, etc.

This is a good sturdy bag, not too big, large enough for my stuff... and inexpensive, too. And it's masculine enough and "gear looking" enough that I'm getting over that "carrying a purse" stigma!

1.0 out of 5 stars Produtc quality., October 23, 2009
The quality of this product is extremely poor - then again, what is expected when its value is so cheap. We took it on our vacation to Germany and it lasted one week. The outside material seems durable enough (canvas) but the lining is of a very cheap plastic. Within a week the lining, which is either stitched or glued, had come undone and we stood to lose our passports (yikes!); good thing I noticed. I would not recommend this product. Also, it is not too practical to constantly undo the front buckle to get at what you want. Hope this review helps.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great man-purse (satchel), December 7, 2012
I wanted something that didn't look like a fanny pack (dorky) but that was functional like a wallet. In the main pouch I carry the actual breast wallet. In the back pouch, nearest my body, I have my smartphone. Inside the zippered, swing-out flap I carry coins. Spare house key, toothpicks and spare phone battery in misc. slots. With all this, it still lays flat and inconspicuous against my body. What I plan on doing for ease of access while shopping, is to put one credit card in one of the card slots so I don't have to fumble with my breast wallet.

btw, it might just be the vendor's photo, however, the bag I got is not the deep, nearly chocolate brown color that is advertised here. What I received it more of a brownish-green color like the World War I American outfits. I'm not happy with the color but I can live with it.

Update (Feb 2, 2013): I just reduced my rating for this product from 4 stars to 1 star. Much of the inner lining is already frayed and torn. I have not been hard on this by any means. One of the zippers got stuck & stopped working after just a couple weeks after getting this. I am really disappointed with the product. Just today I was out grocery shopping and a USB memory drive fell out of a section I hadn't noticed was ripped. Thankfully, an honest person picked it up and brought it to me. I contained all my client's business data. I also lost a house key because of it. Out of all the pockets, only two can used with any confidence of keeping the contents (the main inner one, and the outer back pocket that use for my cellphone. I don't blame the seller. I sincerely doubt they make these things, they just sell them. Problem is, I really need something like this, but I will not buy another one of these.

5.0 out of 5 stars Purchased for Kindle Fire, January 3, 2012
Bought this bag for my Kindle Fire. The KF fits perfectly, including the a/c charger and other accessories, business cards, etc.

1.0 out of 5 stars Can't Be Used As Shown, September 23, 2011
My I.D. and credit cards do not fit into the slots as shown. The slots are stitched too small and I couldn't wedge any of my cards into the slots, making the bag unusable for my purposes. In addition, there is no zipper closure for the main compartment, which could allow items to fall out if the bag gets turned upside down.

4.0 out of 5 stars Meets My Needs, March 31, 2009
This bag is everything it claims to be. Fully functional, with more than enough pockets to meet my needs, including several credit card/identification slots, and zippered space for change. No need to carry a wallet with this bag. I feel confident that my cards or monies are completely secured. Strap is adjustable and can go from a carrying handle, to a shoulder strap or an across-the-body strap with ease. Perfect for traveling, without the "geeky" fanny bag look. If you're looking for a durable bag that you can feel confident will keep your items secure, yet, a non-combersome, comfortable fit, this is it!

2.0 out of 5 stars Just missed it by that much, June 15, 2008
Man, this thing would be great if the pockets were just a few millimeters larger. The credit card and ID pockets are just a very tiny bit too small. Love the quality of construction and material, but can't really recommend it due to the size. Size does matter sometimes.

2.0 out of 5 stars Picture is not accurate, October 3, 2007
Virginia540 (Warrenton, VA United States) - See all my reviews
The bag will not hold my credit cards, insurance cards, library card nor my driver's license in the interior pockets. Also, the pocket is pictured holding the cell phone is flimsy and does not feel like it will hold my phone securely. This product is a disappointment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better Than I Expected!, August 20, 2012
Quick Review: After a year or so, this bag is still better than I expected for all the reasons outlined, and it still looks brand new. Excellent!

I bought this thing for two reasons:

1. I carry a rather unreasonable amount of stuff (in part because have been spoiled by the capacious pockets found on bike jerseys and in part because I have stupid allergies that require me to carry an Epi-pen).

2. I inevitably forget to take some small piece of said unreasonable amount of stuff out of my pocket at the airport, resulting in a nerve-wracking security-gate experience for me and longer wait times for everyone else ... and that's no fun.

The obvious solution was to acquire a variant on the 'European shoulder bag' concept. However, I had some pretty stringent requirements:

1. It had to be small, but at the same time tall enough to hold my Epi-pen.
2. It had to have a removable shoulder strap.
3. It had to be durable.

The first two requirements pertain to bike-friendliness: I wanted to be able to drop my "shoulder bag" in one of my bike's panniers with my school stuff without it taking up too much space. The removable strap just makes it easier to do that.

The third pertains to the fact that I can be pretty hard on my stuff. It's not that I don't know how to take care of things, just that I'm very often outdoors cycling, hiking, and so forth. I didn't want to have to obsessively babysit some dainty man-purse; I wanted something that could keep up.

I've had my Travel Portfolio Shoulder Bag for a couple weeks now, and I'm pretty impressed with it. It's about the perfect size -- holds wallet, phone (HTC Inspire, for size reference), keys, Epi-pen, and inhaler with ease, and even offers room for a small paperback book if I'm feeling ambitious (and literary).

It takes up very little space in a bike pannier, but it also has a nifty strap on the back that allows me to lash it to the outside of the panniers, the bike itself, or just about anything else.

Its construction is solid, and it's made of heavy canvas. Strong cotton web straps -- the same stuff they use to make those flat cotton lead lines for horses, by the way -- complete the picture.

A staggering array of interior pockets of different sizes is coupled with two external zip pockets -- a small one on the top flap and a large one that runs the length of the back. An integrated pen holder ensures the security of your favorite writing implement. The largest inside pocket is, as I've mentioned, capacious enough to tote a small paperback (or your travel journal of choice, or possibly even a 7" tablet PC).

The bag's hardware also appears durable. The snaps on the strap are metal and seem solid; same goes for the D-rings to which they attach.

When I ordered this, I felt a little iffy about its vertical orientation. In fact, I've now determined that said orientation is actually ideal. It allows you to sling the strap across your body so the bag tucks under your arm, where it fit snugly, for security. I am still able to use mine on the bike as a sort of "mini-messenger bag," cinching the strap up so it fits closely and doesn't swing around at speed.

Likewise, if you're an idiot like me who can't ever put anything down at a restaurant because you'll leave it behind when you go, you can simply leave this thing on all the time. It's small enough that it doesn't get in the way.

I suppose I could complain that this bag could be lighter or made of water-resistant fabric or something, but at its price point, that seems ridiculous (and, frankly, I like the look and feel of the fabric that makes up most of the bag). Simply put, I can't imagine a better-designed, better-built necessity-portaging device than this. If I can find a similar one made of leather, I might add one to my wardrobe, but I'm very happy with this bag.

Five stars, flat out. Rarely am I as surprised by the quality and utility of a product as I have been with this inexpensive little bag.

Rothco Venturer Travel Portfolio Bag